• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, and Ugly

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Definitely need to clean a few things up, and definitely missed some opportunities, but there was A LOT of good to take from this game:

GOOD:
- offense looked about as good as I've seen in a while
- brady was on fire. At halftime he was 31-34 for like 290. Ended the game 47-59 for 418 and 2 TDs (79%)
- JLM for president. I don't know if I've seen such an electric and exciting playmaker other than Kupp
- Calhoun had 63 yards on only 11 carries
- his twin is stepping up in his receiver role as well
- got to see what Homan can do. Laid out two with an awesome block and made a huge third down catch
- 3 for 3 on 4th down conversions
- consistently moved the chains, 25 first downs and a a 30 minute time of possession
- only gave up 274 rushing yards to a team that averages 390

BAD:
- short field turnovers that gifted CP points
- the inability to seal the edge and CP exploited it big time
- refs not taking a second look at that CP TD in the front corner (saw some pics that showed he was out)

UGLY:
- letting Graves throw 3 TDs out of 6 fricking passes
- going conservative on last drive after Nyguen got us downfield and settling for a 48 yard FG attempt
- the 48 yard FG attempt

There's plenty of good things to see in this team. If they can clean a bit of this stuff up, this is a dangerous team who can play with anyone in my opinion. I am hoping for a great response with SUU next Saturday. Go Griz!

bitterrootobserver said:
The Griz will need a better game this week against SUU. Right now EWU, SUU and Cal Poly have to be the top 3 teams in the Big Sky.

I have more confidence in the Griz after yesterday than I did after either of the first 2 games. We just have to see if the offense can play with the same consistency.

Bob went to the well with JLM a few too many times. He's all that and a bag of chips, but after the first half he had, Poly wasn't going to let him beat them. A few more passes to the opposite flat to JN or Calhoun, like the big one that nearly had them in position to win the game would have helped keep the D honest and probably picked as many yards.

My sincere hope is that JLM learns to get down our out of bounds so he can be on on the next play. He isn't going to last the season if he lets four or five guys catch up to put shots on him.

Big game coming up, hope guys like Buss & Sanders are ok.

bgbigdog said:
Bob went to the well with JLM a few too many times. He's all that and a bag of chips, but after the first half he had, Poly wasn't going to let him beat them. A few more passes to the opposite flat to JN or Calhoun, like the big one that nearly had them in position to win the game would have helped keep the D honest and probably picked as many yards.

My sincere hope is that JLM learns to get down our out of bounds so he can be on on the next play. He isn't going to last the season if he lets four or five guys catch up to put shots on him.

Was it Bob or was it Brady?

HelenaHandBasket said:
bitterrootobserver said:
The Griz will need a better game this week against SUU. Right now EWU, SUU and Cal Poly have to be the top 3 teams in the Big Sky.

I have more confidence in the Griz after yesterday than I did after either of the first 2 games. We just have to see if the offense can play with the same consistency.

Exactly how I feel, Helena.

HelenaHandBasket said:
bitterrootobserver said:

So after the CPSLO game, you have more confidence in the Griz defense than you did before. That is interesting. Forget the 42 points, 431 yards and uncontested TD passes.

I have read the comment about Stitt going conservative on the drive leading to the missed field goal in other threads and now here. It might be true, but I call it safe not conservative. Do you think there are a few Oregon fans who wished Helfrich was "conservative" in similar circumstances?

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bitterrootobserver said:

So after the CPSLO game, you have more confidence in the Griz defense than you did before. That is interesting. Forget the 42 points, 431 yards and uncontested TD passes.

Yes, based on the matchups they will see for the rest of the season. Can you point out a team that will cause the same matchup problems for them that Poly does?

bitterrootobserver said:

While agree the Griz will have to play well, I can't anoint SUU as a top team.

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bitterrootobserver said:

Yes, based on the matchups they will see for the rest of the season. Can you point out a team that will cause the same matchup problems for them that Poly does?
EWU will shred our defensive backfield the way it looked Saturday. And it won't matter that we will unload the box to play pass. Their passing O is far better coached than our D backfield at this point.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bitterrootobserver said:

I agree with your comment, Kem. How can anyone have more confidence in the defense after yesterday.? I still like the defense and Semore, but it appears that the anointment of the defense and Semore was a bit premature. On the other hand, I still feel very good about the team and its potential, both this year and beyond. Good to see the offense and BG have 2 very good halves. Will they get there this year, or next year, who knows. But it will be fun to watch them play and progress.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

EWU will shred our defensive backfield the way it looked Saturday. And it won't matter that we will unload the box to play pass. Their passing O is far better coached than our D backfield at this point.

Except that the Griz can play more nickel and not rely upon the safties in the same way. The problems that Poly presented and took advantage of are not the same as the EWU offense will present. Once again, Poly presents unique matchups that no one else does.

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:

Except that the Griz can play more nickel and not rely upon the safties in the same way. The problems that Poly presented and took advantage of are not the same as the EWU offense will present. Once again, Poly presents unique matchups that no one else does.

Totally agree, HandBasket. The pressure Cal-Poly puts on the safety position is markedly different than anything else we will see. EWU will still likely have some success against them but for very different reasons. I am still confident we will be able to contain them. Nothing I saw yesterday changes that.

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:

Kem is right. EWU will put way more pressure on the safeties, as well as corners, than CP did. Great receivers and a great passing team are very difficult to defend all game long. Against running teams that throw occasionally, safeties and secondary need to have huge discipline in defending the pass. In man coverage, first responsibility is to cover your man, because if you don't, you give up long passes and TD's if the running team have an accurate or semi-accurate qb. in zone, first responsibility is to keep all receivers in or adjacent to your zone in front of you.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bitterrootobserver said:

I agree with your comment, Kem. How can anyone have more confidence in the defense after yesterday.? I still like the defense and Semore, but it appears that the anointment of the defense and Semore was a bit premature.

Well, this team is making GrizNation schizophrenic, that's for sure. After the first couple of games, and some odd remarks by Stitt about the need to keep the Offense off the field, GrizNation got pretty quiet about the "Offense" and the usual bunch came forward with the need to "get even more" of his own recruits before Stitt could really show everyone what he was all about, even though at August camp he said his schemes were "completely installed" and that he was "happy" with where they were at. First two games made that a pretty shaky proposition, but then we had great Defense! Now, everybody's back to "this is what Stitt could do all along," but oh my gosh, "what about that Defense" that, last year kept Cal Poly to just 17 points until 4 seconds left in the game but gave up 42 points this year?

On the other hand 41 points offensively this year compared to 19 last year; can't gainsay that Gus had a very good game, but there were some decisions made that made the difference between winning and losing. And the nagging record that Gus is, above all, unpredictable is not remedied by Stitt's seeming inability to recognize when Gus is having a bad day. Maybe that's all behind Gus and he has matured into a reliable, consistent QB.

Right now, it's kind of a roller coaster.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Kem is right. EWU will put way more pressure on the safeties, as well as corners, than CP did. Great receivers and a great passing team are very difficult to defend all game long. Against running teams that throw occasionally, safeties and secondary need to have huge discipline in defending the pass. In man coverage, first responsibility is to cover your man, because if you don't, you give up long passes and TD's if the running team have an accurate or semi-accurate qb. in zone, first responsibility is to keep all receivers in or adjacent to your zone in front of you.

Good to know that the safeties responsibilities against a scheme like Poly are the same as they would be against a scheme like EWU. Also good to know that the Griz defensive scheme overall would be the same. Thanks for the knowledge PR.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:

Good to know that the safeties responsibilities against a scheme like Poly are the same as they would be against a scheme like EWU. Also good to know that the Griz defensive scheme overall would be the same. Thanks for the knowledge PR.

Safeties' responsibilities, except in the rare occasion they are not in pass coverage or possibly in inverted zone, are always to stay with their man, or stay deeper than receivers in their zone or adjacent thereto. Otherwise, their man is left open for a long pass. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

And the scheme of the team or the defense has nothing to do with what I just said.

What "pressure" do you think CP put on our safety who let his man run past him for an easy TD? If the safety had let Kupp run past him, would that make you feel better or worse? By the way, I really like that particular safety, even though that was a mistake.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Safeties' responsibilities, except in the rare occasion they are not in pass coverage or possibly in inverted zone, are always to stay with their man, or stay deeper than receivers in their zone or adjacent thereto. Otherwise, their man is left open for a long pass. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

And the scheme of the team or the defense has nothing to do with what I just said.

What "pressure" do you think CP put on our safety who let his man run past him for an easy TD? If the safety had let Kupp run past him, would that make you feel better or worse? By the way, I really like that particular safety, even though that was a mistake.

You should probably look at what the Griz were doing with the safeties yesterday then.

HelenaHandBasket said:
bgbigdog said:

Was it Bob or was it Brady?

Bob calls the plays. Brady knows the game plan and where he wants the ball to go.

Back