• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gotta put it all together....

HookedonGriz

DONOR
The Griz could be a very formidable opponent IF they can get all three phases put together.

Against SFU, the offense only came alive for the 2nd half. The special teams were pretty awful giving up a ton of kickoff and punt return yards and a TD. The defense was pretty solid that day. Griz turned the ball over 4 times and still won. That's almost unheard of.

Against UNI, we saw great special teams play with a punt return for a TD and good coverage on kicks and punts. We also saw tremendous defense which saved the day. Our offense seemed pretty non existent although it was very conservative.

Against CP, our defense did a great job shutting down the FB dive and Protheroe but got decimated on the edge and in the secondary on 3 TD passes. Our offense looked awesome and was controlled and calculated. Special teams were fine except for a vital FG.

If this team can get all three phases clicking at the same time, watch out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is coming sooner than later.

The key is to not turn the damn ball over and the defense needs to cause some turnovers!!

Montana is at -3 turnover margin

I agree that we are very close to having a very dangerous team that will be tough for anyone to beat. Trust the process. We are so close.

Hooked and Get em thanks for the level headed posts.
My biggest issue with sites like this are the overreactions after wins and losses. It should be expexcted, I get it this is a messageboard for fanatics but damn :-o Every since the twenty year run of great success by the Griz it seems some posters not only want the Griz to win but they want them to win by running the plays they want them to. :roll:
I'm pretty damn surprised how well the program has withstood the new coaches, the scholarship reductions and off the field distractions that have been going on last 4-5 years. they also have engstrom to deal with.

Yes many things to fix on the field, this team is far from great, but they are pretty damn good and improving so like get em said "trust the process" or better yet try to enjoy the process.

grizcountry420 said:
The key is to not turn the damn ball over and the defense needs to cause some turnovers!!

And for the defense to force some field goals! Just one against Poly would have been the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else think this season has a 2011 feel? snuck by ewu, and got hammered by sac st, then snuck by nau and psu before going on a tear to finish season. All the way up to the second to last game of regular season against western oregon fans did not really buy into that team. after the cat game and a couple playoff blowouts folks could not wait to start the next season.

brewskis said:
grizcountry420 said:

And for the defense to force some field goals! Just one against Poly would have been the difference.

Yeah, CP made it look easy on our defense.. We have to toughen up, that's for sure!

Mavman said:
Does anyone else think this season has a 2011 feel? snuck by ewu, and got hammered by sac st, then snuck by nau and psu before going on a tear to finish season. All the way up to the second to last game of regular season against western oregon fans did not really buy into that team. after the cat game and a couple playoff blowouts folks could not wait to start the next season.

The difference between 2011 and 2016 is that we had an offensive line back then.

grizcountry420 said:
Mavman said:

The difference between 2011 and 2016 is that we had an offensive line back then.

The 2011 and 2016 squads aren't even in the same universe.

Mavman said:
No, it has more of a 2012 feel

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Where did I compare teams? I'm saying 2011 started off slow with second year coach, became really good by end of season. My opinion is this team could be very good by end of season. Not a single person on this board thought by game 6 of that season that the griz would go to semi-finals.

grizcountry420 said:
Mavman said:

If we get the same results as the 2011 team, it will take one hell of a coaching performance....and a little bit of luck.

Mavman said:
Where did I compare teams? I'm saying 2011 started off slow with second year coach, became really good by end of season. My opinion is this team could be very good by end of season. Not a single person on this board thought by game 6 of that season that the griz would go to semi-finals.

I dont think our OL will get better anytime soon, not this year anyways..

Back