• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ expectations for NAU

mtgrizrule

With all the talk about how well the GRIZ are playing and how much of it was inferior competition, what are your expectations against NAU?

Realistically, 600 yards and scoring 60 points are not likely.
I feel the GRIZ offense should put 400 yards + and score 30+.
Defensively, limiting NAU to 350 or less yards is reasonable.

I feel this game is more of a measuring stick game for our offense than the EWU game will be. The EWU game will be more of a measure for the GRIZ defense.

This game worries me because we dont play very well in Flagstaff. I believe the last time we played there, we lost. I hope our players are focused and can take care of business but this game scares me..

Difficult travel, difficult environment, difficulty playing at altitude always makes this one of toughest road trips of the year.

That said, I think our offense is really clicking. 600/60? No, but I think we'll get in the neighborhood for 450 and 35+.

grizcountry420 said:
This game worries me because we dont play very well in Flagstaff. I believe the last time we played there, we lost. I hope our players are focused and can take care of business but this game scares me..

Since losing in Flagstaff in 1987, the Griz are 11-2 in Flagstaff.

AZGrizFan said:
grizcountry420 said:

yeah, that 2013 loss still stings a bit though. the Griz were on a similar offensive tear for the season when the Jacks really put a damper on things. lots of stupid mistakes that game...and they actually had a pretty full house and their fans were really fired up, which amplified our mistakes. another interesting parallel with that season was how quickly our strength of schedule wins were eroded. App, much like UNI, was looking like a signature win to hang out hats on...then they finished out as bottom feeders of the SoCon. same for the UND game. im a little leery about this one...Stitt is only in his second year and a hiccup or two may be expected.

AZGrizFan said:
grizcountry420 said:

my point is, Its always a close game when we play down there...

All I expect is a win. Don't care if it's ugly.....all we need is the W. In fact I hope we look kinda rusty, get that shit ironed out before Cheney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
I expect that NAU will get exposed. Especially without Cookus.[/quote/]

Have they announced that Cookus won't play. Guys usually get up off their deathbeds when the Griz come to town.

Here's a picture of Cookus being delivered for the pre-game warmup.

9.jpg

I fully expect this team to come out and play hard right from the start. The Griz have been playing great ball all the way back to homecoming against SUU. They've finally dominated weaker teams for once, not letting up on the gas.

This definitely won't be an easy game, but I expect that we play very well and come out with a win.

bearister said:
AZGrizFan said:
I expect that NAU will get exposed. Especially without Cookus.[/quote/]

Have they announced that Cookus won't play. Guys usually get up off their deathbeds when the Griz come to town.

Read some where that he is unlikely for this year. They are not saying much but my brother lives in Flagstaff. Said that was on radio that he is unlikely to return at all.

Gallatin Griz said:
Will JLM be playing in the game against NAU this Saturday?

Thanks in advance.

Go Griz!!!

Maul'em!!!

Stitt has said the goal for JLM is to be back for NAU. One can probably read between the lines there to see that it's not 100% known if he'll be ready or not.

I foresee a lot of scoring in this one, but it may come down to the fact that NAU has one of the worst red-zone defenses in all of FCS, and the Griz have the best. If we can score TDs and give up FGs, we'll be fine.

Stitt: 40
Souers: 30

Flagstaff is a notoriously difficult place to play, I don't think we'll see anywhere near the kind of production we've seen the past couple weeks. Defense steps up in this one. Griz 340 yards for 27 points and Jacks 285 yards for 17 points.

It might be one of those frustrating games to watch were you never feel comfortable with a 1-2 score lead, but Griz prevail.

I'd like this game a lot better if we were playing in Missoula. That said, our offense is going to hang 30 on them. Granted, Sac State is not a perfect measure of an offense, but we have looked of late like an absolute juggernaut. Bring JLM back into the mix, and I like our chances.

Back