• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pflugrad is...

get'em_griz

DONOR
Finally back to coaching! He's the assistant head coach for Pheonix College! Hope this is his ticket to bigger and better things! :clap:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/2016/10/14/boivin-phoenix-college-football-offers-hope/92029192/

I was never a huge Robin fan, good guy but if I had to go back to when Bobby left, I would have hired Klieman off of Craig Bohl's staff and continued to play NFL style play action/run game with a stout defense. Robin moved us towards the "Oregon" style bubble screens, playing out of the gun, etc you know the drill. Now we have Stitt who is pretty much Mike Leach or Sonny Dykes style. Haven't had the success Bobby had and for that matter not even close to the success NDSU has had playing this way. I know i'll get destroyed by this board for saying this but its my opinion thats how you have sustained success, we've seen this with NDSU. We used to have this when Bobby was here, yes yes i know he never won the big game BUT at least we were in the hunt year in and year out. We played with grit, we had unbelievable swagger, our guys mentally had opponents beat before stepping on the field. We'll see what transpires I sure hope i'm wrong and Stitt gets us back in the title hunt.

Bobby lost to NDSU when they were DII, in Missoula, in his first year. Stitt is in his 2nd year and he has brought in some athletes. If he can continue to recruit QB's that can run his system I think Montana can get back to the consistent success that Bobby had at UM

putter said:
Bobby lost to NDSU when they were DII, in Missoula, in his first year. Stitt is in his 2nd year and he has brought in some athletes. If he can continue to recruit QB's that can run his system I think Montana can get back to the consistent success that Bobby had at UM

No i get that Bobby lost a few games, but look at the overall body of work. Bobby was a great coach for us, there is no disputing that. We at least won the conference every year Bobby was at the helm, no one on our team now has even won the Big Sky.

The_Real_Chief said:
I was never a huge Robin fan, good guy but if I had to go back to when Bobby left, I would have hired Klieman off of Craig Bohl's staff and continued to play NFL style play action/run game with a stout defense. Robin moved us towards the "Oregon" style bubble screens, playing out of the gun, etc you know the drill. Now we have Stitt who is pretty much Mike Leach or Sonny Dykes style. Haven't had the success Bobby had and for that matter not even close to the success NDSU has had playing this way. I know i'll get destroyed by this board for saying this but its my opinion thats how you have sustained success, we've seen this with NDSU. We used to have this when Bobby was here, yes yes i know he never won the big game BUT at least we were in the hunt year in and year out. We played with grit, we had unbelievable swagger, our guys mentally had opponents beat before stepping on the field. We'll see what transpires I sure hope i'm wrong and Stitt gets us back in the title hunt.
Not gonna try to destroy you at all because you make some real valid points. Every team that wins a title runs a pro-style offense, or something quite similar. You don't see hurry-up spread teams winning national titles. You see them win big bowl games and rack up a ton of wins.....but not the big one.

My hope is that we are the ones that break through that barrier, and here's why.

Those up-tempo spread teams rarely, if ever have a good defense. We do, AND we have a great coordinator and our head coach has proven that he won't ignore the defensive side of the ball and he recruits GREAT defensive players.

Up-tempo teams rely heavily on quick-strike scores, lose the TOP battle BADLY and don't sustain drives. We do. When this offense gets into a drive and we are mixing the pass with the run, it's a thing of beauty. We can have long drives, take minutes off the clock, and gas the defense. Even though we will never DOMINATE the TOP, if we are close to even with our opponent, they have defended a ton of plays and we have likely hung 40+ on them.

Stitt has said that if we don't turn the ball over we will be really hard to beat. I think he's right. If we can do that through the rest of the regular season I think we win out and make the semifinals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
The_Real_Chief said:
Not gonna try to destroy you at all because you make some real valid points. Every team that wins a title runs a pro-style offense, or something quite similar. You don't see hurry-up spread teams winning national titles. You see them win big bowl games and rack up a ton of wins.....but not the big one.

My hope is that we are the ones that break through that barrier, and here's why.

Those up-tempo spread teams rarely, if ever have a good defense. We do, AND we have a great coordinator and our head coach has proven that he won't ignore the defensive side of the ball and he recruits GREAT defensive players.

Up-tempo teams rely heavily on quick-strike scores, lose the TOP battle BADLY and don't sustain drives. We do. When this offense gets into a drive and we are mixing the pass with the run, it's a thing of beauty. We can have long drives, take minutes off the clock, and gas the defense. Even though we will never DOMINATE the TOP, if we are close to even with our opponent, they have defended a ton of plays and we have likely hung 40+ on them.

Stitt has said that if we don't turn the ball over we will be really hard to beat. I think he's right. If we can do that through the rest of the regular season I think we win out and make the semifinals.

well said, brewskis.

get'em_griz said:
Finally back to coaching! He's the assistant head coach for Pheonix College! Hope this is his ticket to bigger and better things! :clap:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/2016/10/14/boivin-phoenix-college-football-offers-hope/92029192/

I believe Pflu has coached at least 2 seasons since he left UM. Unfortunately, several of those have only been at this JC. They have done much better this year than in prior years, when they didn't win many games.

Interesting line....

A significant amount of support for Pflugrad followed the dismissal. University President Royce C. Engstrom, who let him go, wrote a recommendation letter that Pflugard could use for job interviews. It said the firing “was not the result of any specific impropriety or improper conduct by him. Because of a difficult situation and some unfortunate circumstances at the University, I made the decision that the program needed to go in an alternate direction.”

ordigger said:
Interesting line....

A significant amount of support for Pflugrad followed the dismissal. University President Royce C. Engstrom, who let him go, wrote a recommendation letter that Pflugard could use for job interviews. It said the firing “was not the result of any specific impropriety or improper conduct by him. Because of a difficult situation and some unfortunate circumstances at the University, I made the decision that the program needed to go in an alternate direction.”

Well, I have "made the decision that the university needs to go in an alternate direction" from Engstrom. Who do I send my letter to in order to get this done?

brewskis said:
The_Real_Chief said:

This is a completely valid post, however like we've seen with Oregon you always end up running into a physical team and some point and they run the ball down your throat and wear your defense down. You also have to consider the kind of recruits that you generally get and build your team around them. I'm old school, I like a full back and a big physical running back to wear down the defensive front, then when they aren't expecting it have the QB fake it and find a receiver deep for a touchdown. Luckily in football there is more than one way to skin a cat. Again, I hope i'm wrong and Stitt gets it done for us, i'll happily eat my words for Griz sustained success.

The_Real_Chief said:
This is a completely valid post, however like we've seen with Oregon you always end up running into a physical team and some point and they run the ball down your throat and wear your defense down. You also have to consider the kind of recruits that you generally get and build your team around them. I'm old school, I like a full back and a big physical running back to wear down the defensive front, then when they aren't expecting it have the QB fake it and find a receiver deep for a touchdown. Luckily in football there is more than one way to skin a cat. Again, I hope i'm wrong and Stitt gets it done for us, i'll happily eat my words for Griz sustained success.

This happened to Hauck's Griz led teams quite often too. It's not always dependent on offensive scheme/style. Just sayin...

Happy for Pflu. Still bummed with how UM handled that whole situation.

ordigger said:
Interesting line....

Ya thats what I found most interesting in that entire story.....I would be furious if I were Robin also...

"Yaaaaa I've made the decision to fire you...even tho I know you did no wrong...we just gotta can someone" -Royce douchebag Engstrom

get'em_griz said:
brewskis said:
The_Real_Chief said:

well said, brewskis.

The last team to win the natty not named NDSU was a spread it out air raid offense.....EWU

brewskis said:
The_Real_Chief said:

As Lee Corso says, "Not so fast!".

To me TOP can be a misleading stat. Much better to look at how many plays each team runs. I have said this in the past, pre-Stitt, so I'm not just climbing onto his logic. My reasoning is that the clock runs steadily with running plays, and stops with incomplete passes. It stops for first downs in both instances.

As far as wearing down the defense, I think the number of snaps they have to play is more of an indicator than how much time elapses on the game clock on the snaps they have to play. The recovery time a defense gets between plays, running or passing, is not different.

The Patriots have won the Super Bowl with a ball control pass offense. Like Stitt's offense, the Patriots offense is very dependent on efficient quarterback play.

As recall Don Read won a national championship with a more wide open offense. I like the pro style offense more as well but I think you can win with either as long as the players execute it correctly. I think the reason we've seen more pro style teams win nc is because they tend to be coached by defensive minded head coaches. As long as the Stitt keeps a good dc in place and continues to have good defenses he will have a good chance at a national championship.

Back