• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coming Into This Season....

HookedonGriz

DONOR
It is pretty fun to think about all of the discussions on this board when the Griz were leading up to this season. There were a lot of question marks on a variety of things. I think we have enough sample size/proof to address some of those:

How well will Brady play?
I think he is answering the call. He has improved his yardage, completions, TDs, interceptions, and pretty much everything else compared to last year. His completion % alone is like 12% points higher. He is ranking statistically among the top in the league and FCS

Can we really expect to reload our LB corps....again?
Yes. At linebacker U this is easily possible. We have seen this now a few times. First with Tripp, Coyle, and Kanagata. Replaced them with Gamboa, Van Ackern, and Kose. Now replaced them with Banks, Straham, and Buss. This years LB corps is incredible. And they'll all be back next year. We have a lot of promising depth behind them, too, in Fatuiesse, Sirmon, Olson, etc

How big of a drop off will we have in our receivers?
We had an incredible trio in Jones, Henderson, and Roberts. I must admit I was very worried about the drop off myself going into the year. Now we have a very young and very capable and very deep receiver corps who are all getting on the same page with Brady and looking really strong. Homan, JLM, Calhoun, Lyons, Curran, Horner, Bingham, Taylor, Eaton. These guys are only going to get better and will be around for a long time in this system. We have some future all conference studs in Akem, Corbin, Nagler, Nash, and Toure coming up too. Stitt has proven he can recruit the receivers he wants in his system.

Will the defensive front suffer by losing Holmes?
Holmes was one of the most dominant players I've seen in FCS. He was an absolute menace and created issues for any lineman he faced. It's crazy to think that our defensive front in my opinion has improved greatly. Picking up Davidson was one of the best moves this staff made. That kid plugs up the middle extremely well. Then when you see what Johnston, Kidder, Schye are doing with Semore's guidance, it's a thing of beauty. Add in the high level of play from Sims in Peevey and this outfit looks really good.

How can we possibly improve our secondary only having one starter back?
By getting in Justin Strong, the other best move this staff has made. That kid is the best transfer in all of the Big Sky in my opinion. Then McKinley and Markell have been playing well and have risen to the challenge of playing a lot of man coverage. All of them will be back next year. Now we get JR back and things should only get better, which is scary. Reynard has also been a great pick up. Sandry looking like a future stud too. If Yamen can up his game just a little big this is an incredible secondary.

Will the offensive line get any better or is it all talk?
I think there has been very noticeable difference in the play of our offensive line. Brady is getting way more time and the lanes are opening up really well for the running game. Brady is at his best when he can go through some reads and that is exactly what they are allowing him to do. We have some guys back next year and a lot of young studs in the wings. This line should only get better and better.

Are we screwed with our kicking game?
It sounded like in spring and even in fall there were a lot of questions around our kicking game. Semenza has stepped up and has kicked a very high percentage of field goals and is in the upper tier of points per game in the big sky. Would like to see him get more consistent with these PAT's however. But as long as he keeps kicking field goals well he is only a red shirt freshman. Williams has really done well punting. He averages right around 40 yards a punt but they have nice hang time and a good spiral to them which allow the coverage teams to get down there. Also only a sophomore.

What has stood out to me the most is how young this team is and how many of these guys will be back. Also, the staff has hit an absolute homerun with the transfers they brought in this year. So many transfers don't seem to work out, but this crew was exactly what the Griz needed. Very excited about the product on the field and for what the future has in store for these young kids. Go Griz!

Nice write up, I love this team and where it's going.... :thumb:

But, I don't think PlayerRep is going to let you use the last TWO games worth of Stats for stuff like this?

It might make Tyler look better with out those games included ..... ;)

I predicted before the season that our receivers, while not having a Jones or Hendo type guy would be deeper and more talented across the board and that would pay huge dividends. Growler told me I was an idiot.

I predicted that our O-line would perform much better in its 2nd year under Germer, and that there were guys who were thrust into starting positions before their time. Growler told me I was an idiot.

I predicted that Johnson, once out of the shadow of Holmes and Waggeman, would shine as a D-End. Growler told me I was stupid.

Growler sure is wrong a lot.

AZGrizFan said:
I predicted before the season that our receivers, while not having a Jones or Hendo type guy would be deeper and more talented across the board and that would pay huge dividends. Growler told me I was an idiot.

I predicted that our O-line would perform much better in its 2nd year under Germer, and that there were guys who were thrust into starting positions before their time. Growler told me I was an idiot.

I predicted that Johnson, once out of the shadow of Holmes and Waggeman, would shine as a D-End. Growler told me I was stupid.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Although he'll tell you you're still wrong....and he'd be wrong again.

griz5700 said:
AZGriz,

The Griz receivers are the weakest part of this offense - you were wrong.
I don't know about that. Each game they appear to be better and better.

Be patient - Reserve judgment about 2016 Griz progress until we see them perform the next 2-3 weeks - the last three weeks are not a very effective measuring stick - I suggest that all fans wait to see if this team can progress and peak in November-December. Just my 2 cents worth.

The weakest part of this offense remains the running game. Better success against MVS and SacSt doesn't prove much to me. We still struggle to get a yard when we need it. We use Nguyen too much; Calhoun should be getting more touches. NAU will provide a better test; we will need some output on the ground. I still fear a lot of overthrows in the thin air, which lead to a lot of 3 and outs.

Bear Axed said:
Nice write up, I love this team and where it's going.... :thumb:

But, I don't think PlayerRep is going to let you use the last TWO games worth of Stats for stuff like this?

It might make Tyler look better with out those games included ..... ;)

I like how you won't take my better regarding the current rankings? Shows that you don't have the guts to back up your big talk. And my discussion of the defensive stats have absolutely nothing to do with TG. But keep posting your silly kitty photos. That's really a great addition to the board.

AZGrizFan said:

The receivers are fairly deep and have nice talent and potential, but they have made a lot of mistakes and didn't catch a bunch of balls, especially earlier in the season. I'd rather have last year's receivers. This group will keep getting better and will eventually be very good.

kemajic said:
The weakest part of this offense remains the running game. Better success against MVS and SacSt doesn't prove much to me. We still struggle to get a yard when we need it. We use Nguyen too much; Calhoun should be getting more touches. NAU will provide a better test; we will need some output on the ground. I still fear a lot of overthrows in the thin air, which lead to a lot of 3 and outs.

Agree 100% regarding the running game. I'll reserve judgement on number of touches - I actually think our 2 featured backs are somewhat complimentary.

But, the Griz WILL have to figure out a way to get ugly yardage on the ground. The playoffs REQUIRE it.

One thing we have NOT bitched about this year is production in the red zone. :clap:

The Griz are a bit better, or much better, in all facets of the game, than I had expected, or feared in some areas, except for qb and rb. QB is where I had hoped it would be, but didn't know if it would get there. Rb is where I expected it would be. O-line has improved as I expected it would, but it's improvement is more than I had expected (even without Weyer). The receivers are not as good as last year's talented group, but they are better at this point than I had expected, they are improving and they are deep. JLM is a surprise to me, even tho we had seen his flashes of brilliance in the spring.

The defense is better than I had anticipated. The d-line is very good and pretty deep, and much better than I had anticipated. The backers are about where I had hoped they would be, but Bus is even more talented than I had heard he was. Special, already. The secondary is good and has good depth, and will get better with JR's return. The secondary made too many mistakes in early games and, in my view, hasn't been tested with accurate qb's and good passing teams. We will see how good they are today and next week.

The special teams are much better than I expected. Kicker and punter are pretty good. Kicker needs to make extra points. The return game, when JLM is on field, is way better than anyone thought it would be. Coverage has improved since first game, but could still be better.

Team discipline on the field is good. Not as many dumb penalties as past years.

The injury situation seems to be very good, except for Weyer.

The coaches seem to have attracted good transfers and integrated them into the team. Team unity and morale seems good. The players seem to have bought into the system and coaching. I suppose everything isn't perfect behind the scenes, but I doubt it ever is.

The offense is clicking now because of BG's very good decisions and very good play (and fewer turnovers), better o-line play and young, talented and speedy receivers improving each week, combined with good play from the backs. I keep wondering if some defense is going to figure a way to defend Stitt's offense better. As with al teams, turnovers are killers and often game changers. With BG at the helm and the design of the offense, it seems to be fairly adaptable, or getting more adaptable.

Semore seems to be a good, or even very good, DC already. His defense is interesting, and I like it. It is attacking, but not always risky. From what I know of it, it seems like it could be prone to occasional mistakes, which could lead to big plays. The cover guys are good, but today and next week we may see how good they are. Can they continue to play so much man, so that the front 7 can attack.

Fun season (as they all are for me.) I now better understand why Stitt seemed to be so positive about the team last spring and this summer, in occasional comments.

kemajic said:
But then I repeat myself.....

Back