• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hail Szczur

grizfromhel

Lost track of this guy but saw him interviewed last night as a member of the Chicago Cubs. I remember they talked about him being a baseball player as well as two-way member of the Villanova football team. Can't remember the score (guess I could look it up) but they waxed us in the playoffs. On offense he would appear as the wildcat back and take the direct snap, usually for big yardage. In checking out his bio I found out that the first professional team he played for was the Cubs' Rookie League affiliate the Boise Hawks. There was also the story of how he had a rare type of match for a bone marrow transplant of a Ukrainian teenage girl---- probably saved her life and jeopardized his.

grizfromhel said:
Lost track of this guy but saw him interviewed last night as a member of the Chicago Cubs. I remember they talked about him being a baseball player as well as two-way member of the Villanova football team. Can't remember the score (guess I could look it up) but they waxed us in the playoffs. On offense he would appear as the wildcat back and take the direct snap, usually for big yardage. In checking out his bio I found out that the first professional team he played for was the Cubs' Rookie League affiliate the Boise Hawks. There was also the story of how he had a rare type of match for a bone marrow transplant of a Ukrainian teenage girl---- probably saved her life and jeopardized his.

They waxed us to the tune of 23-21 in the 2009 title game. Matt was a man amongst boys, however.

grizfromhel said:

Not the playoffs it was the chipper. Was actually a close game in the end. A poor kicking game, several missed extra points and a missed field goal cost the griz if i remember correctly. Was like 23 to 20 or something.

get'em_griz said:
We had a 14-3 lead up to 3 minutes left in the 1st half and then the Matt Szczur show began. :(

Yeah he just tore them apart. Then after the game he went and gave bone marrow to save some dying cancer kid. Couldn't even hate the guy.

get'em_griz said:
We had a 14-3 lead up to 3 minutes left in the 1st half and then the Matt Szczur show began. :(

And the Marc Mariani show was cancelled, for some reason that still perplexes many of us.

mtgriz said:
get'em_griz said:

And the Marc Mariani show was cancelled, for some reason that still perplexes many of us.

THIS^^^^ Seemed like Marc never touched the ball in the second half - he had a really good first half.
Was very frustrating to watch.

Vanilla UM D. Szczur had a career day. UM had the players, but got out schemed and out played.

am a steady(not rabid baseball fan).

While cringing at memory of Matt and Griz in that game do admire and respect for Matt he represents as a person.

This is a feel good story, but will be for Indians regardless of who wins NL.

With Cubs and Indians you will have a winner that has not happened in almost all Egrizzers lifetime.

Griz1952 said:
am a steady(not rabid baseball fan).

While cringing at memory of Matt and Griz in that game do admire and respect for Matt he represents as a person.

This is a feel good story, but will be for Indians regardless of who wins NL.

With Cubs and Indians you will have a winner that has not happened in almost all Egrizzers lifetime.
Wait a minute; 1948 was not so long ago....

I'm a diehard Cubs fan so now I love Matt. Funny story, he broke our (Griz) hearts in the 09 chipper. Now however, he and Marc are pretty good buddies. They actually met when Matt was in AA in Nashville and they are pretty tight now.

Also a huge Cubs fan. Matt isn't actually on the Cubs playoff roster but as you've read, he is still contributing quite a bit. Not sure he will ever be an everyday player but he won some games for them off the bench. He is definitely a class act.

Oh and I met him once at a Cubs vs Pirates game when I was wearing a Griz shirt. We are like best buds now.

BDizzle said:
Also a huge Cubs fan. Matt isn't actually on the Cubs playoff roster but as you've read, he is still contributing quite a bit. Not sure he will ever be an everyday player but he won some games for them off the bench. He is definitely a class act.

Oh and I met him once at a Cubs vs Pirates game when I was wearing a Griz shirt. We are like best buds now.
I'm a Cubs fan as well but don't really follow baseball. Dumb question...why do they need to trim their rosters for the playoffs?

I believe they don't actually trim them per say. An active MLB roster is 40 players, including active players on the disabled list players, ect. The clubhouse limit is still 25 for every game through August 31. From Sept. 1 to the end of the regular season, game day rosters expand to 40 "(September callup), but then in the postseason, it goes back to 25. So when they say the have to trim the postseason roster, they are essentially going back to what it was before Aug. 31.

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/42296/matt-szczur-may-not-be-playing-but-that-doesnt-mean-hes-not-contributing

Back