• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post game: A team loss

BWahlberg

DONOR
Well obviously not the kind of game we wanted to see from the Griz today. This was pretty much a team loss, there's not one single call-out that decided this game.

Offense: Over-throws were brutal. Especially on 3rd and 4th. 3rd down efficiency was really bad. And how many turnovers on downs did we have? The offense was either unprepared or ineffective against the NAU defense. Drops, bad throws, failed execution, and some head scratching decisions.

Defense: too many big plays given up, especially early that let NAU get amped up and going. The pass defense settled in and got better as the game went on at least. Run defense collapsed in too much and left the edges wiiiiide open which resulted in multiple TDs.

Special Teams: 7th missed PAT on the season. Also a few major punt returns, a few fortunately nullified by illegal blocks, but a few others that burned the coverage.

It was pretty much a bad game in all facets and now this EWU game is a must win if the Griz want a bye for the playoffs.

Fans are going to be down on the team after this game, rightfully so. But remember the goals of the post season are still very real. Time to regroup. I hope this is one of those stinging losses that spark a big run. We've seen it before!

Go Griz!

Put this in context....Griz are ranked in the top 10 in the nation. They are playing a sub .500 team. They were destroyed. 45 points given up....let that sink in.

The Griz secondary is not Division 1 caliber. It has not been all season. Receivers have run behind them regularly...just took a good offense and QB to expose it.

Griz are a year away...

CV Griz Fan said:
The Griz came out flat, flat, flat.....Give credit to NAU O though...

How are those national stat rankings holding up, i.e. the ones you posted? Scoring defense still as high?

We played a better team in all three phases. I was afraid this would happen since we have basically been untested.

SoldierGriz said:
Put this in context....Griz are ranked in the top 10 in the nation. They are playing a sub .500 team. They were destroyed. 45 points given up....let that sink in.

The Griz secondary is not Division 1 caliber. It has not been all season. Receivers have run behind them regularly...just took a good offense and QB to expose it.

Griz are a year away...

You may be right but I think this team can still kick and scratch their way back.

Hope Calhoun, rb, didn't get hurt. Hope JLM is back next week.

PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:

Griz are a year away...

You may be right but I think this team can still kick and scratch their way back.

Does 8-3 get us there?

Nau had the best WR on the field, the best RB on the field, and the best O-line on the field. Also the best QB on the sidelines...

PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:

Griz are a year away...

I'm too worried about Calhoun. We got beat all over the field. Really thought they completely controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Brady was rushed a lot, and we couldn't get any pressure on the quarterback. Makes next weeks game huge for us.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
The Griz came out flat, flat, flat.....Give credit to NAU O though...

How are those national stat rankings holding up, i.e. the ones you posted? Scoring defense still as high?

Not good. I am sure. But let's see how they finish the year. Still a big spread over your boy's rankings though.....LOL

G-BEARS said:
Nau had the best WR on the field, the best RB on the field, and the best O-line on the field. Also the best QB on the sidelines...

A lot of push offs by Butler to get seperation. It is what it is.

G-BEARS said:
And, in my humble opinion, the better coach on the field.

Bad game nobody seemed to be ready for this. The game that starts the run. Go Griz!

Griz Nation WeareMT NativeGriz Fan

NAU really played well on both fronts. I think they have now scored a touchdown on the first play of the game 3 out of the last 4 times the Griz have played them.

Piss poor showing by our Griz. They did not come to play. Looked extremely pedestrian. Sadly I see a similar game coming next weekend in Cheney. Kupp and Co have to be licking there chops. Hopefully this loss stings and the boys get there you know what together.

Back