• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Postseason

If the team that just played NAU shows up then yes, they will beat the sacrificial lamb in USD or someone if that caliber and them have to play EWU or NDSU.

The team we saw yesterday will be fortunate to go 7-4 on the year and will be a bubble team at that point based on their strength of schedule (SRS). They haven't beat a good team yet. They needed to make a statement and beat CP and/or NAU and could do neither. If they get to 8-3 they will host a playoff game.... i'm just not 100% convinced that they can get to 8-3.

HookedonGriz said:
The team we saw yesterday will be fortunate to go 7-4 on the year and will be a bubble team at that point based on their strength of schedule (SRS). They haven't beat a good team yet. They needed to make a statement and beat CP and/or NAU and could do neither. If they get to 8-3 they will host a playoff game.... i'm just not 100% convinced that they can get to 8-3.

I think they can, but you make good points, and I share your view.

HookedonGriz said:
So you are sure they will lose at EWU and than drop a game to ISU, NCU or MSU? Look yesterday's team is what happens when you have a team that's got a hangover from 2 games in a row against shit competition. This team finishes 8-3.

RobGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
So you are sure they will lose at EWU and than drop a game to ISU, NCU or MSU? Look yesterday's team is what happens when you have a team that's got a hangover from 2 games in a row against shit competition. This team finishes 8-3.

Said the team we saw yesterday will be lucky to go 7-4. If they instead play like they are capable of playing, and not the shit show I witnessed yesterday, then yes 8-3 is in front of them. Northern Colorado on the road is no slouch. They beat the NAU team who just punched us in the face. With how we tend to look on the road, that game worries me.

I'm confused why the consensus seems to be that an 8-3 record would result in a playoff invitation. The most logical scenario seems to me that if the Griz are lucky enough to finish 8-3 they would still likely be behind N. Dakota, E. Washington and Cal Poly, having lost to both E. Washington and Poly. And Weber is still in the mix big time at this point as well. Is it really likely that the selection committee would take four teams from the Big Sky? I don't know but it doesn't seem logical to me.

Somewhat off thread but after the probable loss next week, which in my opinion rules out a playoff bid, wouldn't it be smart to put BG on the bench and move to a QB that will be around next year and provides some running options. The post calling him a giraffe when pressured isn't that far off. What difference does it really make if we are 8-3 or 6-5 if there is no post season bid. And just to add a little spice to this, what difference does it make if we beat the Cats to go 6-5 or lose to go 5-6. We all know that to coach UM means you must get them to the playoffs. Last year, without the miracle at Idaho State we wouldn't have been there. If we lose next week we are almost certainly out. Next year may be Stitt's last chance so he might as well prepare for it.

sdk.catfish said:
I'm confused why the consensus seems to be that an 8-3 record would result in a playoff invitation. The most logical scenario seems to me that if the Griz are lucky enough to finish 8-3 they would still likely be behind N. Dakota, E. Washington and Cal Poly, having lost to both E. Washington and Poly. And Weber is still in the mix big time at this point as well. Is it really likely that the selection committee would take four teams from the Big Sky? I don't know but it doesn't seem logical to me.

Somewhat off thread but after the probable loss next week, which in my opinion rules out a playoff bid, wouldn't it be smart to put BG on the bench and move to a QB that will be around next year and provides some running options. The post calling him a giraffe when pressured isn't that far off. What difference does it really make if we are 8-3 or 6-5 if there is no post season bid. And just to add a little spice to this, what difference does it make if we beat the Cats to go 6-5 or lose to go 5-6. We all know that to coach UM means you must get them to the playoffs. Last year, without the miracle at Idaho State we wouldn't have been there. If we lose next week we are almost certainly out. Next year may be Stitt's last chance so he might as well prepare for it.

Based on history. With the expansion to a 24 team playoff, it gets thin finding quality 8 win teams when you get down to the last couple at-large spots. Go back and look at what teams have been selected as at-large teams since the expansion.

HelenaHandBasket said:
sdk.catfish said:

Based on history. With the expansion to a 24 team playoff, it gets thin finding quality 8 win teams when you get down to the last couple at-large spots. Go back and look at what teams have been selected as at-large teams since the expansion.

Wasn't it last year that a 6 win Western Illinois team made the playoffs? An 8 win Montana team has a pretty strong resume (especially with the revenue that they bring).

PDXGrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
sdk.catfish said:

Wasn't it last year that a 6 win Western Illinois team made the playoffs? An 8 win Montana team has a pretty strong resume (especially with the revenue that they bring).

Yes, western ill got in last year at 6-5. It was the first time ever that the committee put in a 6 win team. Their strength of schedule helped them A lot. You'll recall they left out a 7–4 North Dakota team instead. And 8–3 Griz team is in the playoffs any day, all day no questions asked. My worry is that's not an automatic record, and 7-4 would definitely make them a bubble team.

There are not two Griz teams. There is one that looks good against bad teams and bad against good teams. We're middling this year, and will make or miss the playoffs by a hair. Time to give Chalich a legitimate chance. Some guys go along not doing too much, then suddenly they begin to get it. He looked sharp in his one chance earlier. Let's see if he's finally connected the dots.

Fat Bruno said:
There are not two Griz teams. There is one that looks good against bad teams and bad against good teams. We're middling this year, and will make or miss the playoffs by a hair. Time to give Chalich a legitimate chance. Some guys go along not doing too much, then suddenly they begin to get it. He looked sharp in his one chance earlier. Let's see if he's finally connected the dots.

Just stfu dude.

Yesterday was not good! What concerns me is that it is well known that Brady does not perform well under pressure and it was clear that the NAU game plan was to bring pressure. I did not see any significant adjustment in the Griz attack to counter that pressure. I was a bit surprised after the last two weeks that Stitt did not switch qb's at least for a series or two to see what could happen. Wasn't the idea to get the backups some game experience when they came in the past two weeks?

Even if the Griz win out, it won't be enough to win the conference, unless EWU, ND, CP and WSU all completely collapse. Assuming they finish 8-3 I think they do make the playoffs and host a game. At 9-2 I think they get a top 8 seed. However, at 7-4 it is real questionable that they make the playoffs. They will need some help outside BSC.

HookedonGriz said:
Said the team we saw yesterday will be lucky to go 7-4. If they instead play like they are capable of playing, and not the shit show I witnessed yesterday, then yes 8-3 is in front of them. Northern Colorado on the road is no slouch. They beat the NAU team who just punched us in the face. With how we tend to look on the road, that game worries me.
Well said. UNC is now living up to its long-time football tradition & will be looking for Griz blood on their home field. UNC is NOT a guaranteed win this season.

Grizzoola said:
HookedonGriz said:
Well said. UNC is now living up to its long-time football tradition & will be looking for Griz blood on their home field. UNC is NOT a guaranteed win this season.

They are if the Griz are a playoff team. We shall see. But it is not because UNC is a good team, because they are not, average at best. We will still find out if the Griz are a good team or an average team.

The funny thing is that a win against EWU followed by 3 more should win games and we can all look at this meltdown of a week and laugh. We can still be a 9-2 seeded team. I would honestly say that's a 50% chance at that happening right now.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:

Just stfu dude.

Stick it up the bad lands, Bad Grammar.

Latest posts

Back