• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spletz on Pflugrad - Great Article

PlayerRep

"But my goodness, the man has served his sentence.

Pflugrad has been passed over for roughly 25 coaching jobs.

So passionate is the 57-year-old about coaching and guiding young men, he's in his second year as offensive coordinator at a place in Phoenix known as "Last Chance U."

Actually it's a juco called Phoenix College. There he and head coach Dan Cozzetto do pretty much everything from laundry and painting fields to serving as psychiatrists, social workers and academic advisers for players who have been turned away by other junior colleges.

They deal with player hardships most of us can't fathom, like being homeless. The goal posts on their practice field are made of PVC pipe because of a lack of funds. The program is in clear and present danger of being cut.

"But these young men need us in their lives -- I don't know if I could ever say that anywhere else," said Pflugrad, who has helped guide the Bears from a winless season to a 5-3 mark this fall. "Sure there are times players need you when you're the coach at Montana or a position coach. But so many of our players here, they don't have anything else in their lives. They don't have a family. They don't have a place to go."

Each Wednesday in the offseason, Pflugrad and Cozzetto bring in a guest speaker to address their players on life. Police officers, judges, ministers, politicians, ex-players, the head of a SWAT team -- you name it and the Bears' coaching staff has probably at least considered it.

"Realistically, if the kids weren't here, I don't know where they'd be," Pflugrad offered. "I think a lot of them would be in gangs. We sit in the inner city just north of downtown. It's not like going to the University of Montana right there near the Rattlesnake."

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/speltz-former-griz-coach-pflugrad-deserves-better/article_11a69570-4803-5b42-afa9-450d63bc97af.html

I talked to Robin last week. As always, he sounded good and had a good attitude. Said his team had won some games this year, but they just lost their qb. Said the school had gone 4 years without a win, except for forfeits. Said some of the players sleep in their cars. Pflu's a really good guy. I got to know him mostly after he was fired.

I disagree with Spletz on his comment about Engstrom. Good people don't do what he did to Pflu. Royally screwed him and pointed the finger, to cover his own behind.

PlayerRep said:
I talked to Robin last week. As always, he sounded good and had a good attitude. Said his team had won some games this year, but they just lost their qb. Said the school had gone 4 years without a win, except for forfeits. Said some of the players sleep in their cars. Pflu's a really good guy. I got to know him mostly after he was fired.

I disagree with Spletz on his comment about Engstrom. Good people don't do what he did to Pflu. Royally screwed him and pointed the finger, to cover his own behind.

Yup.. Royce definitely used Pflu as his fall guy. It was a bad situation for both O'Day and Robin. The real question will be.. How much longer will it take for the board of regents to finally see that Engstrom is the problem?

PlayerRep said:

I actually agree with PissRot, the arrogant douchebag lawyer here. :eek:

Great read; but also disagree about the Engstrom remark. He was not a "good man" caught in an "impossible situation." He created the situation, refused to take any personal responsibility, then tried to bail himself out by wrongfully blaming others, creating a firestorm of negative publicity that has seriously damaged the University of Montana; creating a death spiral that, in accord with his inept actions that started it, he is incompetent to reverse.

It is quite a record. A very good man like Robin Pflugrad should not have been sacrificed to protect a man like Royce Engstrom.

UMGriz75 said:
Great read; but also disagree about the Engstrom remark. He was not a "good man" caught in an "impossible situation." He created the situation, refused to take any personal responsibility, then tried to bail himself out by wrongfully blaming others, creating a firestorm of negative publicity that has seriously damaged the University of Montana; creating a death spiral that, in accord with his inept actions that started it, he is incompetent to reverse.

It is quite a record. A very good man like Robin Pflugrad should not have been sacrificed to protect a man like Royce Engstrom.
Fucking #BOOM!!!!!!!!!
Engstrom has never been, nor will he ever be a man, much less a "good man"

UMGriz75 said:

Absolutely true....and yet, nothing has been done to repair the EXTREME damage this guy has caused UM.

Back