• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2 Out Of 3

grizcountry420

Seems to me this is what we are going to see out of Stitt going forward. He'll have the team prepared 2 out of 3 games. I mean look at his record, he wins 66% of the time. Will Griz Nation accept losing 3 or 4 games a season? I don't know about you but that's unacceptable for me..

Sure we might make the playoffs but we'll get dumped in the 1st or 2nd round. That too is also unacceptable. I just don't see Stitt taking us on a deep playoff run cause he only wins 2 out of 3 games..

Tough to be objective after a loss...

But, the essence of your post is about where I am at right now.

The inconsistency of the team is becoming consistent. This year...last year...

I can understand what you are saying, I sometimes have the same feelings, and you may be right. However, I think Stitt and Semore have good potential, and the players here now and coming in are of high quality. The coaches seem to know how to recruit. When they were arriving, I wondered if they would be in over their heads. I don't think they are at all. The lost schollies are coming back. Like many, I am not completely sold on the offense. When it's clicking, it's great. But it seems to be prone to inconsistency and mistake. Maybe that is still the players and their execution. Semore is young and not experienced as a DC. He has alot of good ideas and innovation. He will improve with time. A great DC is not born overnight. It takes years of experience to be able to be consistently a good DC. We saw the same thing with TG. He seemed to improve each year.

One game, either way, doesn't make a season. It's always a struggle and one game at a time. While maybe this game shows that UM isn't good enough to compete with EWU, I still like our chances and think we can compete. NAU had a very good gameplan and played very well. We shall see. That's what's nice and fun about sport.

PlayerRep said:
I can understand what you are saying, I sometimes have the same feelings, and you may be right. However, I think Stitt and Semore have good potential, and the players here now and coming in are of high quality. The coaches seem to know how to recruit. When they were arriving, I wondered if they would be in over their heads. I don't think they are at all. The lost schollies are coming back. Like many, I am not completely sold on the offense. When it's clicking, it's great. But it seems to be prone to inconsistency and mistake. Maybe that is still the players and their execution. Semore is young and not experienced as a DC. He has alot of good ideas and innovation. He will improve with time. A great DC is not born overnight. It takes years of experience to be able to be consistently a good DC. We saw the same thing with TG. He seemed to improve each year.

One game, either way, doesn't make a season. It's always a struggle and one game at a time. While maybe this game shows that UM isn't good enough to compete with EWU, I still like our chances and think we can compete. NAU had a very good gameplan and played very well. We shall see. That's what's nice and fun about sport.

Good post PR, I see where you are coming from. We can compete, there is no doubt about that. Stitt needs to do a better job getting these guys ready, especially on the road, we came out flat. I just hope we can finish off the season strong but I have a feeling we are gonna drop 1 more befor it's over. I hope I'm wrong though..

And don't get me wrong here.. I do think that opposing teams give it their all when they play the Griz. Then the following week they lose but that's why it's so important to be prepared week end and week out cause those teams are going to give it their best when playing Montana.

Please. If Gustafson doesn't over-throw receivers the entire game, including the 4th down conversion attempts, everyone on this board says the coach is a genius. Players play the game, and the truth is that Gustafson is an inconsistent passer. Until Stitt gets a more reliable passer in the QB spot, his game plan will always be at risk of outcomes like this NAU game.

grizcountry420 said:
And don't get me wrong here.. I do think that opposing teams give it their all when they play the Griz. Then the following week they lose but that's why it's so important to be prepared week end and week out cause those teams are going to give it their best when playing Montana.

I agree with this, but we haven't been top dog for some time. When will EWU take our place as The Game for every other team?

Also, I am not sure Wa-Griz is so much of an advantage anymore. Most offenses are adept at silent counts now, and our crowds seem to get the opponent inspired to play their best, especially teams of high quality. Conversely, the Griz can play below expectations on the road because of the sterile environments. Just a theory.

Jaymerz said:
Please. If Gustafson doesn't over-throw receivers the entire game, including the 4th down conversion attempts, everyone on this board says the coach is a genius. Players play the game, and the truth is that Gustafson is an inconsistent passer. Until Stitt gets a more reliable passer in the QB spot, his game plan will always be at risk of outcomes like this NAU game.

Please.. Was Gus the one who gave up 45 points? I think that our defense needs to be held some what accountable for this lose, not Gus.

Not acceptable to you? What are you gonna do about it? Write a letter? Make a nasty-post? Jump on the Chotewagon? :roll:

grizcountry420 said:
Jaymerz said:

Please.. Was Gus the one who gave up 45 points? I think that our defense needs to be held some what accountable for this lose, not Gus.

Agree 420! Gus's over throws are expected. That is why Stitt likes him to stay away from the middle of the field. Horner and Bingham were open almost every play, why doesn't Gus look at them? 4th and short I would throw to Horner or Bingham every time! Watch the replay and see how many times these two were wide open.
However, Stitt calling two run plays on our own goal line and giving the ball to Nguyen is WRONG!
Why didn't Stitt try Chalich in this game? Give a Gus a breather and let him settle himself down...
Why didn't counts play?
What is Stitts obsession with Nguyen?
Why are we not running 100 plays a game like Stitt said would be the normal?
Time running very short and needing three score, we run a play every 25-32 seconds, totally unsat!

Not having played or coached the game, just observed it for 60 years, I have two serious questions that have been bugging me recently. How hard is it to prepare an opposing defense for an offense that is going to have a quarterback pass with no movement a VERY HIGH percentage of the time, or predictably a run play up the middle. This as opposed to one with a quarterback that can run and truly has the OPTIONS for end arounds, reverses, trick plays etc? Who's responsible for making the final decisions on what plays are called and who plays what position when? It seems to this observer that our offense is SO DAMN PREDICTABLE, that even my wife knows whats coming well over half the time. It appears that not only is our running game very predictable, but if one player (BG) is having an off day, we are dead in the water.

stilwtrgrizz said:
Not having played or coached the game, just observed it for 60 years, I have two serious questions that have been bugging me recently. How hard is it to prepare an opposing defense for an offense that is going to have a quarterback pass with no movement a VERY HIGH percentage of the time, or predictably a run play up the middle. This as opposed to one with a quarterback that can run and truly has the OPTIONS for end arounds, reverses, trick plays etc? Who's responsible for making the final decisions on what plays are called and who plays what position when? It seems to this observer that our offense is SO DAMN PREDICTABLE, that even my wife knows whats coming well over half the time. It appears that not only is our running game very predictable, but if one player (BG) is having an off day, we are dead in the water.

Stitt has unabashedly stated many times that his offense goes as the QB goes.

True to some extent for all offenses but amplified with his.

grizcountry420 said:
And to NAU's second string QB. Kind of glad their first stringer wasn't playing.

PlayerRep said:

Well said PR, well said.

Back