• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lion Heart

reinell30

eGriz Club
DONOR
John Nguyen has the heart of a Lion in a body of a kitten. You have got to give him all the credit in the world for what he does!

I will never figure out Stitt's obsession with Nguyen. Three home game win's pretty much all followed the same pattern, get the ball to the red zone and get it into Calhoun's hands. Why was this different yesterday?
Stitt call's two run plays on our own goal line giving the ball to Nguyen both times, just is WRONG!
Why didn't counts play?
Why are we not running 100 plays a game like Stitt said would be the normal?
Time running very short and needing three scores, we run a play every 25-32 seconds, totally unsat!
EW will run a play every 15 seconds or less...

Nguyen's body is a bundle of muscle. Hardly that of a kitten. Maybe Stitt and Green are playing Nguyen just to irritate some of the Griz posters, as I have done on occasion. Maybe Stitt feels guilty that he wasn't old enough to be in the Viet Nam war, so he is making up for that by giving a kid of Vietnamese heritage an extra nice chance. Maybe they wanted to make sure he made it into UM's top 10 rusher list. Maybe it's because he's so short that they coaches can't see that he's still in the game. Who knows? It certainly can't be because Stitt and Green think Nguyen is the best back for situation when he was in the game.

reinell30 said:
John Nguyen has the heart of a Lion in a body of a kitten. You have got to give him all the credit in the world for what he does!

I will never figure out Stitt's obsession with Nguyen. Three home game win's pretty much all followed the same pattern, get the ball to the red zone and get it into Calhoun's hands. Why was this different yesterday?
Stitt call's two run plays on our own goal line giving the ball to Nguyen both times, just is WRONG!
Why didn't counts play?
Time running very short and needing three scores, we run a play every 25-32 seconds, totally unsat!

Nguyen is gamer who gives everything to move the ball forward. The same reasons that people dog on him are also the reasons why he is so dangerous. Being small and having the ability to make somone miss in a telephone booth could mean yards. He doesn't necessarily need top end speed to accomplish that. He has sold out everything to get the job done time and time again over the season and his career.

It could be that Stitt and Green saw something that they thought Nguyen could take advantage of. Piss poor execution by the O Line negated the advantages (real or not) they they might have seen.

It comes back to the problem that the QB is not respected as a runner. For all of Brady's abilities, a runner he is not. Having that ability and having the defense respect that ability (especially with the zone read action that Stitt uses) freezes linebackers and safeties, opening up that run up the middle. That hesitation by the linebacker or defensive end is the inch that Nguyen needs to make his yards. That and not having the DT in the backfield every play. Without it, and everyone ignores Brady and just goes for the RB without any hesitation.

The problem with these guys is that they don’t know the difference between asking a question in a serious manner and asking one rhetorically. If you see a coaching staff doing something consistently that you don’t understand, the rational response is to wonder what the fuck it is that you don’t know, not to wonder what it is that the coaches don’t know. Hasn’t it been three coaching staffs now which have elevated one or the other of the Nguyen bros. to the top spot in the running game? And, we have had to listen to the same drivel throughout. Yesterday, I saw Calhoun caught from behind on his long run, he ran into the back of his blockers on at least one play, and he was also ankle tackled at least once. But, we know from these guys that that only happens to Jon Nguyen.

Fat Bruno said:
The problem with these guys is that they don’t know the difference between asking a question in a serious manner and asking one rhetorically. If you see a coaching staff doing something consistently that you don’t understand, the rational response is to wonder what the f*** it is that you don’t know, not to wonder what it is that the coaches don’t know. Hasn’t it been three coaching staffs now which have elevated one or the other of the Nguyen bros. to the top spot in the running game? And, we have had to listen to the same drivel throughout. Yesterday, I saw Calhoun caught from behind on his long run, he ran into the back of his blockers on at least one play, and he was also ankle tackled at least once. But, we know from these guys that that only happens to Jon Nguyen.

If I were the coach, Jon Nguyen would only carry the ball very sparingly!

PDXGrizzly said:
reinell30 said:

Why didn't counts play?

Nguyen is gamer who gives everything to move the ball forward. The same reasons that people dog on him are also the reasons why he is so dangerous. Being small and having the ability to make somone miss in a telephone booth could mean yards. He doesn't necessarily need top end speed to accomplish that. He has sold out everything to get the job done time and time again over the season and his career.

It could be that Stitt and Green saw something that they thought Nguyen could take advantage of. Piss poor execution by the O Line negated the advantages (real or not) they they might have seen.

It comes back to the problem that the QB is not respected as a runner. For all of Brady's abilities, a runner he is not. Having that ability and having the defense respect that ability (especially with the zone read action that Stitt uses) freezes linebackers and safeties, opening up that run up the middle. That hesitation by the linebacker or defensive end is the inch that Nguyen needs to make his yards. That and not having the DT in the backfield every play. Without it, and everyone ignores Brady and just goes for the RB without any hesitation.
A "gamer" has 8 runs for 95 yards. A "non-gamer" goes 14 for 41. I'll let you figure out which is which.

RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
reinell30 said:

Why didn't counts play?

A "gamer" has 8 runs for 95 yards. A "non-gamer" goes 14 for 41. I'll let you figure out which is which.

RobGriz, that is funny!

I am not happy with Counts off the field issues during his time at UM. However he is a back that can punish when running. When not banged up. I would hope they use him more. Bring him on the field for some of those red zone plays. Even if he is not handed the ball the D has to account for him.
Peter is shifty and does a good job. To bad his too end speed was not better.
Last night during the NAU game a was shocked at how many reach out foot tackles NAU made. Just getting out guys tripped up.

RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
reinell30 said:

Why didn't counts play?

Riiiight, and I'll let you figure out who the cherry picker is.

reinell30 said:
Fat Bruno said:
The problem with these guys is that they don’t know the difference between asking a question in a serious manner and asking one rhetorically. If you see a coaching staff doing something consistently that you don’t understand, the rational response is to wonder what the f*** it is that you don’t know, not to wonder what it is that the coaches don’t know. Hasn’t it been three coaching staffs now which have elevated one or the other of the Nguyen bros. to the top spot in the running game? And, we have had to listen to the same drivel throughout. Yesterday, I saw Calhoun caught from behind on his long run, he ran into the back of his blockers on at least one play, and he was also ankle tackled at least once. But, we know from these guys that that only happens to Jon Nguyen.

If I were the coach, Jon Nguyen would only carry the ball very sparingly!

And, is there a large chance of you getting that position?

Fat Bruno said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
reinell30 said:

Why didn't counts play?

Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59. Nguyen would have had about the same gain on that huge hole. Some of you would have had a nice gain through that hole. Nguyen did a nice job not getting a safety coming out of the end zone.

Fat Bruno said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
reinell30 said:

Why didn't counts play?

great response :clap:

PlayerRep said:
Fat Bruno said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59. Nguyen would have had about the same gain on that huge hole. Some of you would have had a nice gain through that hole. Nguyen did a nice job not getting a safety coming out of the end zone.
Agreed, Nguyen did get it out and prevent the safety. And don't get me wrong I like the kid but even if you take away Calhoun's huge run his average was still almost twice as many yards/carry as Nguyen. I will say this, Nguyen is excellent in pass pro.

PlayerRep said:
Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59. Nguyen would have had about the same gain on that huge hole. Some of you would have had a nice gain through that hole.
Total speculation that Nguyen would have made that 59 yard run; how many times has he done that? Calhoun did and it was very important at the time. If you want to play that game, Nguyen had 13 carries for 29 yards and then a meaningless carry for 12 yards against the prevent on the last play of the game, already lost. Calhoun is a serious threat and does not get arm tackled; Nguyen not so much.

kemajic said:
Total speculation that Nguyen would have made that 59 yard run; how many times has he done that? Calhoun did and it was very important at the time. If you want to play that game, Nguyen had 13 carries for 29 yards and then a meaningless carry for 12 yards against the prevent on the last play of the game, already lost. Calhoun is a serious threat and does not get arm tackled; Nguyen not so much.
Exactly. It's time for for Nguyen to be the change of pace back for Calhoun, and not vice versa.

PlayerRep said:
Nguyen's body is a bundle of muscle. Hardly that of a kitten. Maybe Stitt and Green are playing Nguyen just to irritate some of the Griz posters, as I have done on occasion. Maybe Stitt feels guilty that he wasn't old enough to be in the Viet Nam war, so he is making up for that by giving a kid of Vietnamese heritage an extra nice chance. Maybe they wanted to make sure he made it into UM's top 10 rusher list. Maybe it's because he's so short that they coaches can't see that he's still in the game. Who knows? It certainly can't be because Stitt and Green think Nguyen is the best back for situation when he was in the game.

I get your point on the coaches opinions on which RB is the right back for the situation but why the Vietnamese reference? Unneeded IMO....

PlayerRep said:
Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59.
Even if you throw out Calhoun's long run, that's still more than 5 yards per carry! And those 59 yard runs are exactly why he deserves more than 8 carries per game. If Calhoun gets a big hole to run through, he plows straight ahead and scores. If Nguyen gets the same big hole, it seems like he gets just past the line of scrimmage, jukes right, spins left, and gets two-touched for a 4 yard gain.

Nguyen should come in to pass protect and be a receiver out of the backfield. Those are his strong suits.

Ringneck said:
PlayerRep said:
Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59.
Even if you throw out Calhoun's long run, that's still more than 5 yards per carry! And those 59 yard runs are exactly why he deserves more than 8 carries per game. If Calhoun gets a big hole to run through, he plows straight ahead and scores. If Nguyen gets the same big hole, it seems like he gets just past the line of scrimmage, jukes right, spins left, and gets two-touched for a 4 yard gain.

Nguyen should come in to pass protect and be a receiver out of the backfield. Those are his strong suits.

You may think 7 for 36 yards is something to write home about, but I don't.

Nguyen had an 82 yard run a week ago. I assume you know that 81 is a lot farther than 59.

Nguyen averaged 16.6 yards per carry a week ago.

In the past 2 games, Nguyen has 158 yards. Calhoun has 157. Obviously, Nguyen is a better runner. Ha.

CV Griz Fan said:
I get your point on the coaches opinions on which RB is the right back for the situation but why the Vietnamese reference? Unneeded IMO....
Well, I've had one that was built along the same heritage; he came train with me when he was 14; now he's 30 and past his competition career. It was the "Confucian" ethic, and a solid physique. He was never hurt during that time, that he let on, and he did everything I ever asked, without complaint. Mick Delaney posted a great Tweet on those boys; they are just remarkable athletes for any coach to be lucky enough to have. They earn the benefit of any doubt.

Back