• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

total team flat ?

krammer

how does this happen ?....I mean what are the odds that offense, defense, and special teams are ALL flat.....it would seem that one would have to work to have that happen....this has me mystified and a serious question.

You have to credit NAU's offense. They had nothing to lose, took chances early, and played with a lot of attitude. NAU is a good team and have always been very salty at home. My worry is more on how our team deals with adversity. It's easy to play well when you are up a couple scores. Great teams know how to win when the are in close games or need to come back from behind. Hopefully the team learns from the loss and it serves them well next week and in the playoffs.

Well, 34 pts in Flagstaff is not bad, and but for the interception and the two missed PAT's, it was a tight game. The 45 points for NAU is bad, however. That's a runaway score on our defense. UM's statistical performance was generally far ahead of NAU's yesterday, except these are stats you have to read backwards -- NAU wasn't running or passing nearly as many yards as UM; but that wasn't a good thing. UM's Defense was letting NAU score without having to work very hard for it ; that's what the game stats show.

UM's offense worked hard; the Defense took the day off and gave a second-string QB what is no doubt a thrilling career victory for him.

Final_NAU.jpg

UMGriz75 said:
Well, 34 pts in Flagstaff is not bad, and but for the interception and the two missed PAT's, it was a tight game. The 45 points for NAU is bad, however. That's a runaway score on our defense. UM's statistical performance was generally far ahead of NAU's yesterday, except these are stats you have to read backwards -- NAU wasn't running or passing nearly as many yards as UM; but that wasn't a good thing. UM's Defense was letting NAU score without having to work very hard for it ; that's what the game stats show.

UM's offense worked hard; the Defense took the day off and gave a second-string QB what is no doubt a thrilling career victory for him.

Final_NAU.jpg

I agree, if you showed fans from any team the left half of that stat graphic, and asked them if they would take it, almost all of them would.

If you look at the game comparison, the most glaring are the 0-4 fourth downs, 2 turnovers, and 14 point off of turnovers. The stats don't show points off of turnover on downs.

I think 12 penalties for 100 yards sticks out to me

There were quite a few drives that were massively effected by penalties.

Inspector Griz said:
Statistically, other than the score, one would look at the numbers and expect UM won.
When you start so many drives inside the 50 you won't put up a bunch of #'s

UM has a good football team, but Northern Arizona has a better football team.
We were out coached and our boys didn't seem to be ready to play.
If we make the play offs, depending on the draw, we could go several rounds. Maybe even the NC.

Spanky said:
If we make the play offs, depending on the draw, we could go several rounds. Maybe even the NC.
The only part of this I agree with is that we were out coached and our boys were not ready to play, which is coaching.

RobGriz said:
Spanky said:
The only part of this I agree with is that we were out coached and our boys were not ready to play, which is coaching.

I don't disagree that we got out-coached. BUT, getting out-coached goes for EVERY coach on the staff. Not just Stitt and Semore. Assistant coach have ALOT to do with what happens on the field, so make sure you're calling them ALL out.

I agree we got out coached and out played. Did they look to next weeks game? It appeared that they were in slow motion, lethargic to a point. Coaches let that one get away early. IMHO

Hav....I agree. Sometimes Stitt seems to be in never, never land. He seemed that way during the game, not knowing what to do.
That said, he is a good coach, recruiter and should to continue to improve as a coach.

havgrizfan said:
I don't disagree that we got out-coached. BUT, getting out-coached goes for EVERY coach on the staff. Not just Stitt and Semore. Assistant coach have ALOT to do with what happens on the field, so make sure you're calling them ALL out.
So, the "buck stops" ... where?

the buck stops at Griz D line vs. NAU O line....plain and simple.
With the current Griz defense if the D line cannot get pressure and sack the opposing QB a few times then the whole defense becomes stale....the D line needed to figure out a way to get to the NAU QB

krammer said:
how does this happen ?....I mean what are the odds that offense, defense, and special teams are ALL flat.....it would seem that one would have to work to have that happen....this has me mystified and a serious question.

Same way an overmatched Penn State team beats the Ohio State. Granted OSU put up a better fight than UM did, but it happens. The question is, will the mistakes be corrected?

Back