• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Press Conf - post EWU

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Stitt joined by Peevey and JLM:

Stitt:
- team played with passion and played hard
- feel like we gave ewu a good fight
- play makers like Kupp made some plays
- felt the game was closer than the score. If a couple of our plays are made we are in a battle. Ran a double pass and had a receiver wide open for TD. We hit 3 receivers for TDs that didn't get caught. When you have 25 first downs and 550 yards you ought to have more points.
- missed out on big plays and they capitalized on big plays. They didn't move ball great but made big plays
- feels like 6 months since we've won a game. Want to get back and play ball
- we need to execute and not think all about winning or playoffs. It comes down to execution. We need to execute and make plays.
- we moved the ball up and down and we are grading out higher than ever as an offense, but we need to make plays to get in the end zone. Overthrows, drops, missed FG, missed PATs all are dealing with execution
- took away a lot of positive too and that is a football team that may win it all, and we were right there
- no lack of focus this last week. Played a very good football team. Just came up short on making some plays. We have a lot of young kids and it's a process of bringing these guys along. There's been a big overhaul in the roster so we see a lack of experience but not a lack of talent
- that team has a lot of seniors and kids with experience. We hung in their with our young kids.
- there's a huge difference bt seniors and redshirt freshman. It's a process of becoming something great. I love our players and we needs to get them to where we need to be. These kids are coming along and patience is tough, especially in a place like this
- unless we are winning none of our players are satisfied
- NEITHER HORNER OR CALHOUN ARE OUT FOR SEASON
- we are really close in coming along in this process. We get a few things our way and all of a sudden we have 41 points.
- we have high expectations and our players do too. I'm very excited about it. We are going to get there and when we do, it's going to be a lot of fun.

Peevey:
- ewu a good team with great players. We don't look at them and think since they are so good we can allow them a certain number of points.
- it's all about doing what we can to hold them and win the game
- nothing is over. Taking this one game at a time. Focusing on ISU right now and how to win that game.
- we want to come into every single game the same and treat every game like it's my last
- we are an awesome team and it's a Griz year.

JLM:
- good convo over thanksgiving matching up with his older brother playing at ISU
- good to get back out and play with my teammates

daGrizJ said:
Thanks Hooked. This matches what all of the "level headed" posters on here have said.

Seriously would you have expected the head coach to say the things the "un-level headed" posters say? Even if he thought some are true? Of course he says what he says, he has to keep feeding kool-aid to the masses.

Ursus1 said:
daGrizJ said:
Thanks Hooked. This matches what all of the "level headed" posters on here have said.

Seriously would you have expected the head coach to say the things the "un-level headed" posters say? Even if he thought some are true? Of course he says what he says, he has to keep feeding kool-aid to the masses.

Ursus, would you mind telling us your plan for a new coach? How long do you expect it take a new head coach to build a national title contending team, with changing the offensive and/or strategy? Changes like the GRIZ made at head coach take much more time than the patience of some of our fans would like! This year's team has lost back to back games to teams who were picked to be conference favorites. Each opponent played terrific. Hell, the GRIZ did not play terrible. They just struggled converting yards into points. This team is not the bad team some are making it out to be. Yet, it is not the dominant team man of us would like. Many GRIZ fans expected this team to be right where it is now, record wise at this stage.

We need to give Stitt the proper time frame to truly evaluate this program and him as our head coach. I for one, believe Stitt will bring the GRIZ back to national prominence, but I don't expect it to be sooner than 3 or 4 years. That would be my expectation for any new head coach here.

mtgrizrule said:
Ursus1 said:
daGrizJ said:

Ursus, would you mind telling us your plan for a new coach? How long do you expect it take a new head coach to build a national title contending team, with changing the offensive and/or strategy? Changes like the GRIZ made at head coach take much more time than the patience of some of our fans would like! This year's team has lost back to back games to teams who were picked to be conference favorites. Each opponent played terrific. Hell, the GRIZ did not play terrible. They just struggled converting yards into points. This team is not the bad team some are making it out to be. Yet, it is not the dominant team man of us would like. Many GRIZ fans expected this team to be right where it is now, record wise at this stage.

We need to give Stitt the proper time frame to truly evaluate this program and him as our head coach. I for one, believe Stitt will bring the GRIZ back to national prominence, but I don't expect it to be sooner than 3 or 4 years. That would be my expectation for any new head coach here.
Totally agree with this post, I'm sure many others do to. Guys this is a very young team that in respect is not playing all that bad. A few untimely penalties, dropped balls and miscues are the difference in at least two of those losses. Not no mention that everyone the Griz play, they will play out of their minds because they want to seek retribution for decades of being Griz fodder.

I thought someone here had said one of the two mentioned by the coach had received a concussion during the game and it was his second this year. Is it wise to play him? Is it really that important that its worth risking a future of a young kid?

The truth is we're a lot better than some people are giving us credit for, but not good enough to truly contend with the top teams, or be as good as a lot of people hoped.

We're a game better than we were at this point last year, and unlike last year, we haven't lost to a team we "shouldn't have" like Weber, Liberty or Poly (I guess you could argue NAU, but it was away to the team picked to win the Big Sky). The offense is having trouble finishing drives, but that's a hell of a lot better than what we saw last year where we could hardly move the ball at times.

It sucks that UNI wasn't as good as we thought, and maybe that gave us an inflated sense that this team was better than they ended up being, but this is by no means a bad team. Like Stitt said, we're basically a lot of youth, inexperience, and bad execution away from potentially being 7-1.

I'm as disappointed as anyone, but I thought before the season we'd be 5-3 at this point, but also that we'd be 3-2 in conference.

Just hang in there, eGriz.

grizare#1 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Ursus1 said:
daGrizJ said:

Totally agree with this post, I'm sure many others do to. Guys this is a very young team that in respect is not playing all that bad. A few untimely penalties, dropped balls and miscues are the difference in at least two of those losses. Not no mention that everyone the Griz play, they will play out of their minds because they want to seek retribution for decades of being Griz fodder.

How long did it take Pflu to get the Griz to the Semi Finals after a whole new offense was installed? Two or three years? The team Stitt took over was probably little less talented though....

CV Griz Fan said:
grizare#1 said:

How long did it take Pflu to get the Griz to the Semi Finals after a whole new offense was installed? Two or three years? The team Stitt took over was probably little less talented though....
I'd argue a lot less talented, considering how good our O-Line, QB, RBs, and defense were that year.

And jeeze, that defense. I think our defense is pretty good this year, but it can't hold a candle to the 2010 or 2011 defenses. You could argue they were among the best we had since 2001.

I also think people forget how boom or bust Pflu's offense was when you were watching it live. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching us steamroll teams in 2011, but even when we were humming along, we still had a lot of quick, short, ineffective drives that year. The biggest difference, though, was that we could run the ball whenever we needed to (except *cough* in the red zone...sound familiar?).

mtgrizrule said:
Ursus1 said:
daGrizJ said:

In full disclosure I wanted Hauck......but.....no I don't think Stitt should be fired, yes I think he deserves 3 years to show a true trend toward being a contender (not winning it all on 3 years though ). But thanks to free speech I do like to voice my concerns. I am not sold on the offense (defenses figuring out can give yards just not big plays and odds are offense will stall by red zone without a true run game and relying on converting 3rd downs by passing is tough to do consistently ), I do not like the head coach as the OC, I think too much emphasis goes to that portion of the team (he is being directly held responsible for offense, so will tend to tilt emphasis that way, it is human nature, and have heard rumblings of it occuring--'--'no I am not naming sources. I think he needs to do something about special teams, is it coaching? Time spent on it? We are giving up too many yards on kick coverage and getting very few on returns (not to mention XPs and FGs but that could purely be the kicker). I am not sure personnel is being utilized in the right way (Calhoun could have had more carries for example) I think Brady does well, for a cement footed QB, but look how many QB's Stitt has had a look at or choose to bring in as transfers in short time but none seem to "fit" for some reason so he seems to have an issue getting a guy that can run his offense AND possibly run on occasions (I know he says he doesn't need a running one, but a zone read when is QB keep is not viable is easiest thing for a defense to key on RB, or the occasional scramble for a first down when receivers are covered) The defense seems so gambling using man coverage that big plays are killing it when no pressure happens (DBs are not lockdown ability, so very risky and doesn't seem to work against higher quality teams). I also see the Montana recruiting battle being lost, not sold he is great with Montana high school coaches and Montana high school players. I know we need majority of state kids to be too level, but MUST get the cream of Montana crop. Positives: players not in too much trouble, tries to eliminate dumb penalties, looks like good recruits, kept a couple good assistants, will step on gas when has a chance.

Ursus1 said:
I also see the Montana recruiting battle being lost, not sold he is great with Montana high school coaches and Montana high school players. I know we need majority of state kids to be too level, but MUST get the cream of Montana crop

Could you break this down for us? I am really curious to see how you see the Montana recruiting since Stitt was hired.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursus1 said:
I also see the Montana recruiting battle being lost, not sold he is great with Montana high school coaches and Montana high school players. I know we need majority of state kids to be too level, but MUST get the cream of Montana crop

Could you break this down for us? I am really curious to see how you see the Montana recruiting.

I know some are MSU bound regardless (degree, family etc) but I think last year Hadley, and Finch would have been great gets....this year the two Andersons and Hashley are 3 of the best, if not the three best I would say all in top 5 for sure and are MSU bound. Next year a MUST get if not going FBS is Sulser (I do think we CAN get him if not FBS, but would be a major coup if turns down FBS for UM). I thought Daum was a good get (sure could use his speed to stretch the field ), but he is gone and conflicting reports as to why so I not sure if it was a loss or not.

Not high scool but a JC QB (originally went to Arizona State ) is doing very well at a JC and is married to ex lady Griz Hall of Fame VB player's daughter that would be a great fit I think (he has multiple Big Sky offers but I think Montana would have a leg up if wanted him) Rathen Ricedorf is his name.

Ursus1 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursus1 said:

Could you break this down for us? I am really curious to see how you see the Montana recruiting.

I know some are MSU bound regardless (degree, family etc) but I think last year Hadley, and Finch would have been great gets....this year the two Andersons and Hashley are 3 of the best, if not the three best I would say all in top 5 for sure and are MSU bound. Next year a MUST get if not going FBS is Sulser (I do think we CAN get him if not FBS, but would be a major coup if turns down FBS for UM). I thought Daum was a good get (sure could use his speed to stretch the field ), but he is gone and conflicting reports as to why so I not sure if it was a loss or not.

I don't think most those kids would have gone to UM no matter the coach. I also didn't see any mention of the kids that Stitt has recruited. But we all get it, you are a glass half empty kind of guy.

Ursus1 said:
Not high scool but a JC QB (originally went to Arizona State ) is doing very well at a JC and is married to ex lady Griz Hall of Fame VB player's daughter that would be a great fit I think (he has multiple Big Sky offers but I think Montana would have a leg up if wanted him) Rathen Ricedorf is his name.

Not really sure the point of this post.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursus1 said:

Griz are missing our of a very good one that they could likely get due to Montana connections (in laws live here) and we need to get everyone that might sign here due to local connection advantage that otherwise will play for other BSC schools. Got to utilize any advantage UM has over other schools (Like being from MT or wanting to be in MT due to family) If he was a Montana high school kid they would be all over him.

kemajic said:
Ursus1 said:
I know we need majority of state kids to be too level
Huh?

Meant "top level" it was a typo.....in other words not signing Montana kids just because from Montana, but because they are very good and from Montana.

Ursus1 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursus1 said:

Griz are missing our of a very good one that they could likely get due to Montana connections (in laws live here) and we need to get everyone that might sign here due to local connection advantage that otherwise will play for other BSC schools. Got to utilize any advantage UM has over other schools (Like being from MT or wanting to be in MT due to family) If he was a Montana high school kid they would be all over him.

Thing is, you can't sign everyone. If he really wants to be a Griz, then he should probably contact the coaches.

Back