• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UC-Davis to hire Dan Hawkins

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18160026/uc-davis-aggies-tap-alumnus-dan-hawkins-head-coach

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/hawkins-to-be-named-new-uc-davis-football-coach/

Dan Hawkins, who brought Boise State football to national prominence before five uneven seasons at Colorado, will be introduced as the new UC Davis football coach Tuesday morning, Aggie Athletic Director Kevin Blue announced Monday night.

Hawkins, 56, was recently named offensive coordinator at Florida International under head coach Butch Davis. But reports indicate that Davis let Hawkins out of his commitment when the UCD job was offered. Hawkins played fullback under the late Jim Sochor in 1981-82, then was an Aggie assistant for Sochor during the next three seasons. “We are very excited to welcome Dan Hawkins back to UC Davis to lead an exciting new era of football at his alma mater,” Blue said. “Dan is a highly experienced head football coach who possesses in-depth expertise about what it takes to be successful in the modern era of Division I college football.”

Maybe Hawkins will do better than the season opener of his first year at Colorado - losing 19-10 to the freakin' Bobcats who in turn got whupped by Danny Woodhead and Chadron State the following week in Bozeman.

Silvertip said:
Maybe Hawkins will do better than the season opener of his first year at Colorado - losing 19-10 to the freakin' Bobcats who in turn got whupped by Danny Woodhead and Chadron State the following week in Bozeman.
Chadron State has done a lot of "whuppin" over the years, five-time RMAC champs since 2000, beat Stitt in 9 out of 15 meets, including a 55-0 ass-whuppin of an offensive genius. Only 2,000 students, not many athletic scholarships, located in a cultural air pocket, WHO IS THEIR COACH?

UMGriz75 said:
Chadron State has done a lot of "whuppin" over the years, five-time RMAC champs since 2000, beat Stitt in 9 out of 15 meets, including a 55-0 ass-whuppin of an offensive genius. Only 2,000 students, not many athletic scholarships, located in a cultural air pocket, WHO IS THEIR COACH?

What a troll.

HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:
What a troll.
Irony Alert!

UMGriz75 said:
Silvertip said:

Bad argument. Most people that I know from Nebraska, and I know a bunch, consider Chadron State the 2nd best football program in the state. Where does the School of Mines rank in Colorado? A few might put them at 5th at best (CSU, NoCol, CU, CSUP above it) in terms of football in their state. Jay Long is their head coach, he used to be at Black Hills State if I recall but he played for Chadron State so it was a homecoming for him.

UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:
What a troll.
Irony Alert!

.....he has a....point....you turned a thread.....about Hawkins.....and UC Davis....into a Stitt.....bashing thread.....

grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:
What a troll.
Irony Alert!
....he has a....point....you turned a thread.....about Hawkins.....and UC Davis....into a Stitt.....bashing thread.....
Oddly enough, Stitt is Head Coach at UM. Dan Hawkins isn't. Both seem to have a connection to Chadron State, a dark nemesis in Stitt's otherwise DII career.

And of course, having derailed more than your fair share of thread topics, you feel obliged to protest, complain, and whine, which is your main contribution to egriz these days. You lost. Have a puppy party, you'll feel better.

I read an article this week that described CU football under Hawkins as 'one of the worst programs in the history of college football'. He may have something to prove, but I wish UCD good luck.

UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
What a troll.
Irony Alert!
....he has a....point....you turned a thread.....about Hawkins.....and UC Davis....into a Stitt.....bashing thread.....
Oddly enough, Stitt is Head Coach at UM. Dan Hawkins isn't. Both seem to have a connection to Chadron State, a dark nemesis in Stitt's otherwise DII career.

And of course, having derailed more than your fair share of thread topics, you feel obliged to protest, complain, and whine, which is your main contribution to egriz these days. You lost. Have a puppy party, you'll feel better.

Lost what....exactly....just pointing out....your trolling....to make every....thread....a Stitt bash....but alas....I will go back.....to just ignoring.....your posts......we all know....what they will....be about.....anyway.....

grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:
Irony Alert!

Lost what....exactly....just pointing out....your trolling....to make every....thread....a Stitt bash....but alas....I will go back.....to just ignoring.....your posts......we all know....what they will....be about.....anyway.....
You must have been a great Hall Monitor in Kindergarten. You miss those days, don't you?

UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:

You must have been a great Hall Monitor in Kindergarten. You miss those days, don't you?
I was thinking stroke victim. least that's how I read his posts in my head.

SeattleBobcat said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:

I was thinking stroke victim. least that's how I read his posts in my head.

Interesting. I read them in the voice of Stephen Hawking.

mcg said:
I read an article this week that described CU football under Hawkins as 'one of the worst programs in the history of college football'. He may have something to prove, but I wish UCD good luck.
The performance flip-flop when Hawkins went from Boise State to Colorado was simply mind-blowing. Quite literally, incomprehensible. Hawkins moved to BSU (from NAIA Willamette University) as an assistant a year after they first transitioned to 1-A. When the Boise coach got hired away by Arizona State in 2000, Hawkins moved up. From 2001-2005, he went 53-11 and 2-2 in bowl games. Something I did not know: He hired Chris Petersen as offensive coordinator … and Petersen was a UC-Davis quarterback when Hawkins was an assistant there. Anyway, Hawkins obviously did not leave the cupboard bare for Petersen when he was hired away by Colorado. So, in the Boise State environment, he was a highly successful coach and terrific recruiter.

So it was inexplicable how bad he proved to be as coach at Colorado. You can advance lots of reasons (I certainly can) but I do not think any outsider could possibly know. But aside from that, do not be too quick to write him off as a coach at UC-Davis. He may simply feel more comfortable away from the pressures (and corruption) of big-time college football. Not saying he could turn UCD into an FCS powerhouse, but I would not rule it out either.

UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:

That is funny coming from the verbal bully of egriz.

HelenaHandBasket said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizindabox said:
UMGriz75 said:

That is funn coming from the verbal bully of egriz.
Irony alert!

Very interesting hire. I know he wanted a shot at the MSU job, we wouldn't consider him.

He played at Davis, they like to hire their own.

He was at Boise 8 years, Colorado 3-1/2 years.

It sure looks like he was unprepared to rebuild a Buff program completely decomposed, coming from a program that had it together. Seemed like he didn't fully have an understanding of the thug life culture in Boulder, nor the skill set to change it.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hawkins does very well at Davis, if he's learned anything about building back a winning culture. There are plenty of top caliber athletes in NoCal, and it wasn't too terribly long ago that Davis beat Stanford.

Silvertip said:
Part of Hawkins' problem at CU was his unshakable insistence on sticking with son Cody at QB.
Probably (almost certainly?) true. FWIW, people who somewhat followed the program back then have told me that Cody was, technically, the best QB in the system at that time. He had good football skills, and he understood his father's approach better than anyone else. But he was not "dramatically" better than some other candidates, and that led to the impression that he kept the job only because his father was the Head Coach. Not a good locker room situation.

But there were way more -- and much worse -- problems in trying to turn the Colorado program around. And Hawkins simply had no good answers.

Back