• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Would You Hire This Guy?

Griz1

----------Overall------------ ------------Conference Record--------------------
Season School W L Pct. Pts Opp W L Pct. Pts Opp Finish/Conf.
2010 San Jose State 1 12 .077 209 451 0 8 .000 160 295 9th/Western Athletic
2011 San Jose State 5 7 .417 294 364 3 4 .429 193 196 t-4th/Western Athletic
2012 San Jose State 10 2 .833 423 257 5 1 .833 251 156 t-1st/Western Athletic
2013 Colorado 4 8 .333 305 459 1 8 .111 183 398 6th/Pac-12 South
2014 Colorado 2 10 .167 342 468 0 9 .000 263 387 6th/Pac-12 South
2015 Colorado 4 9 .308 320 357 1 8 .111 177 291 6th/Pac-12 South
Colorado Totals 10 27 .270 967 1284 2 25 .074 623 1076
Career Totals 26 48 .351 1893 2356 10 38 .208 1227 1723

I have no irons in this fire but this is the record of Mike MacIntyre the head coach of the Colorado Buffalos. His record this year is 10 - 2 and they are playing for the Pac 12 Championship.

How many of "Grizzly Fans" would have wanted him gone after 10 wins in 3 seasons for an overall record or 2 conference wins after 3 seasons?

Why don't we let up and give Coach Stitt and his staff a chance. If it doesn't work it doesn't work. But 2 years IMO is not an indication of a finished product either. It wasn't for Coach MacIntyre and it isn't for Coach Stitt.

Griz1 said:
----------Overall------------ ------------Conference Record--------------------
Season School W L Pct. Pts Opp W L Pct. Pts Opp Finish/Conf.
2010 San Jose State 1 12 .077 209 451 0 8 .000 160 295 9th/Western Athletic
2011 San Jose State 5 7 .417 294 364 3 4 .429 193 196 t-4th/Western Athletic
2012 San Jose State 10 2 .833 423 257 5 1 .833 251 156 t-1st/Western Athletic
2013 Colorado 4 8 .333 305 459 1 8 .111 183 398 6th/Pac-12 South
2014 Colorado 2 10 .167 342 468 0 9 .000 263 387 6th/Pac-12 South
2015 Colorado 4 9 .308 320 357 1 8 .111 177 291 6th/Pac-12 South
Colorado Totals 10 27 .270 967 1284 2 25 .074 623 1076
Career Totals 26 48 .351 1893 2356 10 38 .208 1227 1723

I have no irons in this fire but this is the record of Mike MacIntyre the head coach of the Colorado Buffalos. His record this year is 10 - 2 and they are playing for the Pac 12 Championship.

How many of "Grizzly Fans" would have wanted him gone after 10 wins in 3 seasons for an overall record or 2 conference wins after 3 seasons?

Why don't we let up and give Coach Stitt and his staff a chance. If it doesn't work it doesn't work. But 2 years IMO is not an indication of a finished product either. It wasn't for Coach MacIntyre and it isn't for Coach Stitt.

McIntyre took over two garbage programs and rebuilt them into winners. Stitt took over a playoff team and has stalled it, with no uptick in sight, and no QB to run his system next year. Plus he missed the playoffs this year with two SR QBs and after getting rid of the DC that was holding the team back, apparently.

marooncoloredglasses said:
Good post, Griz1. While you're at it, take a look at Don Read's record before he came to the Uof M. And even the first two years after he got here.
Never lost to MSU.

EUGENE, Ore. — Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens announced a change in leadership in the football program Tuesday, ending the four-year tenure of head coach Mark Helfrich.

The decision was announced after a meeting between the two Tuesday night.

"We want to thank Mark for his eight years with the University of Oregon and appreciate his efforts on behalf of Oregon football," Mullens said. "We wish Mark and his family the best."

Helfrich coached the Ducks to a 37-16 record after taking over from Chip Kelly in 2013. After reaching the College Football Playoff championship game after the 2014 regular season, the Ducks fell to 9-4 in 2015 and then 4-8 this season, which ended Saturday in Oregon's first loss to Oregon State in nearly a decade.

I have not posted here in a long time but feel a desire to do so. I have closely followed the Griz since the late 1960s and had the fortunate experience of playing football for the Griz and lettering 4 years. Have had season tickets for a long time. In my opinion the Griz loss to the Cats was clearly the most disappointing and worst loss the Griz have suffered at home since Wa-GRIZ stadium opened in 1986 and I really can't think of a worse road loss. I place most of the blame on the Griz coaching - both offense and defense. Thought we should have changed QBs in the first half and I can't believe our D gave up 368 yards rushing. But I also give credit to the Cats' coaching as well as how the Cats played. Hopefully Stitt will be a better coach from this loss - I think he will. It looks like he has recruited very well and knows what he needs to win like we all expect. It's easy to overreact to Griz failure and I'm as guilty as anyone. One thing for egriz posters to think about is that potential recruits read this board. But having said that, Griz recruits should realize that the Griz fans are the most passionate fans anywhere close to Montana. For me I'm looking forward to next year and getting to the game early enough to see the team run out of the tunnel in front of 25000 screaming fans!

speth said:
I have not posted here in a long time but feel a desire to do so. I have closely followed the Griz since the late 1960s and had the fortunate experience of playing football for the Griz and lettering 4 years. Have had season tickets for a long time. In my opinion the Griz loss to the Cats was clearly the most disappointing and worst loss the Griz have suffered at home since Wa-GRIZ stadium opened in 1986 and I really can't think of a worse road loss. I place most of the blame on the Griz coaching - both offense and defense. Thought we should have changed QBs in the first half and I can't believe our D gave up 368 yards rushing. But I also give credit to the Cats' coaching as well as how the Cats played. Hopefully Stitt will be a better coach from this loss - I think he will. It looks like he has recruited very well and knows what he needs to win like we all expect. It's easy to overreact to Griz failure and I'm as guilty as anyone. One thing for egriz posters to think about is that potential recruits read this board. But having said that, Griz recruits should realize that the Griz fans are the most passionate fans anywhere close to Montana. For me I'm looking forward to next year and getting to the game early enough to see the team run out of the tunnel in front of 25000 screaming fans!

:thumb:

Exactly how I feel, and glad to see a 4 year letterman agree with me, who is just a passionate fan.

Facts are -
Stitt will be back next year.
He's recruited some great guys who seem very talented.
Third year is the charm for many coaches.
It's time to put 2016 behind and start getting excited for next year, and the recruiting going on for the future.
I've always loved the poster who would welcome new commits with the line - "Prepare to be Champions" Let's hope that 2017 is the season when we start thinking about how we are going to take down NDSU, rather than worrying about if we will be one of the last ones in the playoffs.

And please keep on with your observations speth, they are welcome

marooncoloredglasses said:
Good post, Griz1. While you're at it, take a look at Don Read's record before he came to the Uof M. And even the first two years after he got here.
Look at the quarterbacks he developed prior to coming to Montana. I believe Dan Fouts is one.
If you look at the coaching situation logically its difficult to be optimistic.

moruncolorglas--

Their were zero expectations for football when Don came to um. They had one season since 1893 with any real success . The program was closer to being shut down, than continuing...

flatbed said:
moruncolorglas--
Their were zero expectations for football when Don came to um. They had one season since 1893 with any real success . The program was closer to being shut down, than continuing...
However, as Kemajic has pointed out, there are three routes to hiring a new coach: 1) bring a head coach up from a lower division with lower levels of experience across the board and hope for the best, 2) hire within the school's existing peer group, a successful coach and hope he continues improving, or 3) hire a drop down assistant or HC with higher level experience.

Montana had tried the upgrade approach with popular and very successful high school coaches Gene Carlson and Lou Rocheleau in football and basketball. That has always been a problematic approach, and the experiment failed dismally in both sports. The results were just awful. At the other end, Don Read brought PAC-10 experience to Montana. That was a bet more likely to pay off, and it did. MSU has taken that approach with Jeff Choate.

Despite having to take over a moribund program and somebody else's recruits, Read had 16 years of experience as a head college coach, including with the Oregon Ducks. UM was still finishing up Wash-Griz, so Read's first games were at Dornblaser. They went 1-3 there. After moving to Wash-Griz, UM beat Idaho State 38-31, and finally ended a three-game losing streak to the Cats in 59-28 thrashing. Naturally, that sealed the deal. Read's first year ended 6-4. So, there's something to be said for the apparent motivation of a nice facility to play ball in, but also in the notion that a successful coach ends the season better than the start. Read never had a losing season while at UM. His first four years of conference play showed 4-4, 5-3, 6-2, 7-1.

Too, Harley Lewis was athletic director at the time. A former very successful coach himself, Lewis was a good judge of coach talent, hiring Jim Brandenburg, Don Read and Robin Selvig, although Jud had to threaten him to make sure Brandy got the job when Heathcote left.

UMGriz75 said:
flatbed said:
moruncolorglas--
However, as Kemajic has pointed out, there are three routes to hiring a new coach: 1) bring a head coach up from a lower division with lower levels of experience across the board and hope for the best, like Jim Tressel 2) hire within the school's existing peer group, a successful coach and hope he continues improving, and hope for the best or 3) hire a drop down assistant or HC with higher level experience. and hope for the best.

Montana had tried the upgrade approach with popular and very successful high school coaches Gene Carlson and Lou Rocheleau in football and basketball. That has always been a problematic approach, and the experiment failed dismally in both sports. ever hear of a guy named Robin Selvig? high school coach before coaching Montana The results were just awful. At the other end, Don Read brought PAC-10 experience to Montana. That was a bet more likely to pay off, and it did. MSU has taken that approach with Jeff Choate. who lead the Bobcats to their worst season in 15 years

Despite having to take over a moribund program and somebody else's recruits, Read had 16 years of experience as a head college coach, including with the Oregon Ducks. UM was still finishing up Wash-Griz, so Read's first games were at Dornblaser. They went 1-3 there. After moving to Wash-Griz, UM beat Idaho State 38-31, and finally ended a three-game losing streak to the Cats in 59-28 thrashing. Naturally, that sealed the deal. Read's first year ended 6-4. So, there's something to be said for the apparent motivation of a nice facility to play ball in, but also in the notion that a successful coach ends the season better than the start. Read never had a losing season while at UM. His first four years of conference play showed 4-4, 5-3, 6-2, 7-1.

Too, Harley Lewis was athletic director at the time. A former very successful coach himself, Lewis was a good judge of coach talent, hiring Jim Brandenburg, Don Read and Robin Selvig, although Jud had to threaten him to make sure Brandy got the job when Heathcote left.

flatbed said:
moruncolorglas--

Now that is funny stuff. better check that out. Of course it was NDSU that beat us in the Camellia bowls. despite some legal issues Jack Swarthout was a pretty darn successful coach as was Doug Fessenden (9 -1 against the cats)

Or this guy!! Look at Craig Bohls at Wyoming. 2014 (4-8) 2015 (2-10) 2016 (8-4). Wyoming is certainly not a great recruiting school and in no way is historically good. But Coach Bohls is a winner and to be 8-4 in three years is commendable. Stitt at least has better recruiting and history on his side only because it is Montana!! Year three will be a big test. To just throw in the towel now would be a huge mistake for the Griz. No guarantee we would get a top notch coach to replace him. I bet Wyoming, under Coach Bohls goes 9-3 or 10-2 next year. Likewise, the Griz will win 8 or 9 next season and be back on track. If not, than it's time to start searching!

I'm not sure. What is his experience in identifying formations and rock types? I'd need to know that first, before I'd even consider it.

Or a bit closer to home and in the BSC. how about a guy who went 5-7, 3-5 conference his first year, 7-4 5-3 conference his second year?

Needless to say Kyle Schweigert's third year lead being coach of the year and an 8th seed in the play-offs. Guess he wouldn't have made it here......................

ranco said:
75's post needed a few edits.
UMGriz75: Montana had tried the upgrade approach with popular and very successful high school coaches Gene Carlson and Lou Rocheleau in football and basketball. That has always been a problematic approach, and the experiment failed dismally in both sports. ever hear of a guy named Robin Selvig? high school coach before coaching Montana The results were just awful.
Oh please. :roll: I was there at the time. Robin had had a great career at UM under Jud Heathcote and was still a young guy with tons of talent. He was NOT coaching at major high school programs like Great Falls or Sentinel, where Carlson and Rocheleau earned their state-wide reputations. He didn't get the job because of his great success at a small high school in the cold part of Northeastern Montana. That's just false.

And he wasn't coming to a major college program either. UM Women's Basketball was a new thing at the collegiate level. Harley Lewis didn't even have any money for a full-time coach, and the UM HHP Department provided a faculty member with some small experience in basketball, Sharon Dinkle, to start the varsity Women's program. Sharon did a great job, but she had her academic career, wanted to continue on to get her PhD, and ultimately Harley had to find some money to hire a coach. It had to be somebody that was willing to take a pretty low salary in a program that had to search high and low to even find games. The BSC had no Women's Basketball. Robin did not get the job because he had become a powerhouse in Montana women's high school basketball. There was none. Indeed, as I recall, I think it was Jud that recommended Robin because he thought he had the talent to bring UM Women's Basketball forward and was interested in collegiate level coaching. That had everything to do with Jud's perspective, and nothing to do with Robin filling in time in Wolf Point.

GrizzlyClaw said:
Or this guy!! Look at Craig Bohls at Wyoming. 2014 (4-8) 2015 (2-10) 2016 (8-4). Wyoming is certainly not a great recruiting school and in no way is historically good. But Coach Bohls is a winner and to be 8-4 in three years is commendable. Stitt at least has better recruiting and history on his side only because it is Montana!! Year three will be a big test. To just throw in the towel now would be a huge mistake for the Griz. No guarantee we would get a top notch coach to replace him. I bet Wyoming, under Coach Bohls goes 9-3 or 10-2 next year. Likewise, the Griz will win 8 or 9 next season and be back on track. If not, than it's time to start searching!

I hope Wyo has success, but I'll be surprised if they go 9-3, and I highly doubt they'll go 10-2 next year. However, I generally agree w what you're saying: give the man some time.

Back