• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If Stitt ends up a bust next season, who would you hire?

B_Kross

Note that I do not want this to be another "DIE STITT DIE" thread, but it is safe to say he'll be on the hot seat next year. Assuming we have another season where we fail to make the playoffs capped by a loss to the Cats, who should be the new HC?

Inb4 everyone crowd-funds to bring Hauck back.

I think that if Stitt is unable to get it done, then bring back Pflugrad. Give him another chance now that his executioner is gone.

I think the best direction would be for the AD to advertise and recruit for the position and not to get on the telephone and call a lower level coach that had been lobbied for by a previous coach. I do not think the hiring of Stitt was done in a conventional manner and that needs to be addressed and corrected.

Matt Lubick, Mark Helfrich, Jed Stugart, Johnathan Smith, Tosh lupoi, Brandon Fisher, Chuck Cecil, Tim Hauck, are names Id consider

HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
I do not think the hiring of Stitt was done in a conventional manner

Please tell us how it was done.

Your AD called Stitt on a whim and offered him the job because he had heard he was an offensive guru. That may be slightly oversimplified but from what I've heard that is more or less how it played out. The rest of the application and interview process for any other candidates was just going through the motions.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Did Stitt even apply for the position? It sounds like he did not until the AD called him. I think the actions of the AD should be scrutinized with regard to the way this position was filled.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/12/19/bob-stitt-introduced-as-griz-football-coach/20652351/

Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Did Stitt even apply for the position? It sounds like he did not until the AD called him. I think the actions of the AD should be scrutinized with regard to the way this position was filled.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/12/19/bob-stitt-introduced-as-griz-football-coach/20652351/

I can't tell if you are serious or not? You really want an inquiry into his hiring? I think we are on the other slope of this mountain...

Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

I see zero wrong with an AD making some phone calls to possible candidates.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

I think it would be interesting to know how many applied for the position, how many applications were given serious review and how many applicants were personally contacted by the AD. How many applicants were interviewed?
I may be under the false impression that Stitt was contacted without applying and was being promoted by his mentor and former U Coach Joe Glenn.
Just how was Stitt chosen over the other applicants? If I am under false impressions please correct me.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I think it would be interesting to know how many applied for the position, how many applications were given serious review and how many applicants were personally contacted by the AD. How many applicants were interviewed?
I may be under the false impression that Stitt was contacted without applying and was being promoted by his mentor and former U Coach Joe Glenn.
Just how was Stitt chosen over the other applicants? If I am under false impressions please correct me.

I do not know how he was chosen over others, but it is pretty normal for AD's to contact coaches, even those that did not initially apply. Also, it is not uncommon for former ADs or coaches, like Glenn, to call an AD and tout another coach for a position.

Dont know who, but would seek a coach that has the same program mind set as Alabama and NDSU. That would be my first step.

3-4 yards and a pile of dust on Offense and a hard nose for Defense.

Honestly, I think that unless the Griz are .500 or under, Stitt gets an extension of at least a year. I think it takes at least three years to really have all your own pieces in place to see if you're capable as a HC. I'd give him four or five. Mostly because I just happen to think the last thing the program needs is yet another HC change. Probably not a popular thought, given we're 6-5 and not in the playoffs. But it IS a winning year record-wise, I do think it takes awhile to get your pieces in place.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

I do not know how he was chosen over others, but it is pretty normal for AD's to contact coaches, even those that did not initially apply. Also, it is not uncommon for former ADs or coaches, like Glenn, to call an AD and tout another coach for a position.

Thank you for your input. I still am wondering how the whole process went and how many candidates were given the same treatment as Stitt.

I enjoy the innovative, creative coaches, that is what Stitt is all about. However, the X and O's should be more in the hands of the OC & DC's hands. The head coach should be focused more on the larger picture. Which is true with any large organization, similar to a school's president/principle not assigned to teaching duties. Thus, hire a great motivator who will trust the OC/DC to make the play calls. (think Joe Glenn)

Hire the OC & DC who have great teaching skill and give them the latitude to be creative (that must include allowing them to make big mistakes, that is part of the deal with innovation.)

A coach that has roots in Montana tradition.

Longevity and consistency is valuable, so don't hire someone who is near retirement age, but isn't looking to jump to the FBS in a couple years. Hard combo to ask for, I know, but most of coaches that took advantage of the success they had at Montana didn't carry that to the FBS.

I also liked what Hauck did with taking on the special teams coaching himself. Saves a coaching position, adds importance to the 3rd component of the team.

Back