• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Washington Rethink Montana Game..

NWMTGRIZ1

If Washington does not get into the playoffs due to their weak non-conference schedule, is their a chance they will reevaluate next year and buy our game out and schedule another FBS school? If I were UW AD, that would be cross my mind.

There non-conference next year is Rutgers, Montana, Fresno State... pretty weak.

They are definitley looking into it I'm told. But, they are only willing to get out of it for a home game against a fellow P5. A lot of those teams have their schedules done and locked. So, it might be hard for UDub to find the game they're looking for. But, from what I heard, they are most definitely looking fort that game.

And while I agree with PL, that it might be in Montana's best interest to get that game bought out, it's going to make life pretty tough on Kent to find a decent FCS game to replace it with, especially when the other home game is unfortunately going to be a DII.

George Ferguson said:
They are definitley looking into it I'm told. But, they are only willing to get out of it for a home game against a fellow P5. A lot of those teams have their schedules done and locked. So, it might be hard for UDub to find the game they're looking for. But, from what I heard, they are most definitely looking fort that game.

And while I agree with PL, that it might be in Montana's best interest to get that game bought out, it's going to make life pretty tough on Kent to find a decent FCS game to replace it with, especially when the other home game is unfortunately going to be a DII.
The 10 2017 games listed on GoGriz.com does not feature a DII. Are you saying the 11th game is a DII?

kemajic said:
George Ferguson said:

The 10 2017 games listed on GoGriz.com does not feature a DII. Are you saying the 11th game is a DII?

He is saying that the 11th game will most likely be a D2

Well. Clearly a loss to Montana is really going to hurt the Huskies chance to get back in the playoffs.

Selfishly, I hope Washington doesn't buy out our game as we have plans to go to the game and spend a week in Seattle. Even though it would be a guaranteed loss, I'm looking forward to experiencing a P5 PAC12 game. We've had this Seattle trip planned for a year now due solely to the Griz.

Just entertaining the thought of our Griz lining up against the huskies makes me cringe!

But the cash payout is nice and playing big time in Seattle is about the only upside.

get'em_griz said:
Selfishly, I hope Washington doesn't buy out our game as we have plans to go to the game and spend a week in Seattle. Even though it would be a guaranteed loss, I'm looking forward to experiencing a P5 PAC12 game. We've had this Seattle trip planned for a year now due solely to the Griz.

Guaranteed loss? You must be great at motivational speeches. lol

Honestly a Div II might be better at this point. Unless dramatic improvement happens the Griz are going to struggle next year big time. Tough schedule so far. The potential for injuries and the humiliation that will come at the hand of the huskies will not help team morale any. Need to face this is not a playoff team any more.

...incredibly excited when this game was scheduled...
...now..not so much...
...only up side for the griz..they could actually win...
...the coin toss...

... :yikes:..

Financially it would be better to be bought out. We get the buy-out money from UW. Then schedule a D2 team that requires little money to come play. Home games bring in a lot of money.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I don't think there will be a lot of tears if it does.

grizpack said:
Financially it would be better to be bought out. We get the buy-out money from UW. Then schedule a D2 team that requires little money to come play. Home games bring in a lot of money.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I don't think there will be a lot of tears if it does.

Don't forget that the UW paycheck is paying for the new turf.

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
George Ferguson said:

He is saying that the 11th game will most likely be a D2
I missed the "most likely" part in his post. Haslam has said he will only schedule a DII if there is not other alternatives. With the buy-out money from Udub (which I have heard is substantial) he could afford to bring in a more expensive opponent or even visit a lower FBS like Idaho, an 8-4 team this year.

I understand. But typically, we make more off of any home game than we will off of a guarantee.

grizpack said:

The Griz are most likely playing a D2 already, so you want them to add another D2 home game?

KoolMoeDee said:
grizpack said:

Don't forget that the UW paycheck is paying for the new turf.

Would a potential buyout cover what's already been spent or is it a bit of a bigger budget home to address?

grizpack said:
I understand. But typically, we make more off of any home game than we will off of a guarantee.
At $650 M (the rumored Udub guarantee) it's pretty much a wash.

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizpack said:

The Griz are most likely playing a D2 already, so you want them to add another D2 home game?

No,I don't want this. Just pointing out the financial aspects of it I would like to see the UW game happen.

Back