• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Big Sky in the FCS Playoffs since 2010

BWahlberg

DONOR
Including 2010 the Big Sky is 16 - 18 in the playoffs. While most conferences save the Missouri Valley probably show similar records even the Big Sky's 16-18 is heavily tipped to one team, EWU. Take out the Eagles and the Big Sky is just 5-15 and other than EWU only Montana's vacated 2011 wins represent any consecutive playoff wins in the same season.

2016 1-3 so far

Cal Poly 0-1 - First Round Loss
Weber State 0-1 - First Round Loss
North Dakota (Bye) 0-1 - Second Round Loss
Eastern Washington (Bye) 1-0 - Second Round Win

2015 1-2

Montana 1-1 - Second Round Loss
Portland State (Bye) 0-1 - Second Round Loss
Southern Utah 0-1 - First Round Loss

2014 2-3

Montana 1-1 - Second Round Loss
Eastern Washington (Bye) 1-1 - Third Round Loss
Montana State 0-1 - First Round Loss

Playoffs expand in 2013
2013 2-4

Montana (Bye) 0-1 - Second Round Loss
Southern Utah 0-1 - First Round Loss
Eastern Washington (Bye) 2-1 - Third Round Loss
Northern Arizona 0-1 - First Round Loss

2012 3-3

Eastern Washington (Bye) 2-1 - Fourth Round/Semi Finals Loss
Montana State (Bye) 1-1 - Third Round Loss
Cal Poly (Bye) 0-1

2011 3-2

Montana State (Bye) 1-1 - Third Round Loss
Montana (Bye) 2-1 - Fourth Round/Semi Finals Loss (wins vacated)

2010 4-1

Montana State (Bye) 0-1 - Second Round Loss
Eastern Washington (Bye) 4-0 - Won The National Title

Honest answeres only please. No negative Nancy's. Why do we get so much respect in the polls and are mostly nationally regarded as the second best con in the FCS, but can't show it in the post season? I don't think we're that bad. I know a lot of those losses are games I'm pretty sure we should have won(Cal Po and No Dak this year and SHS sweeping the Big Sky conference champions a couple years back).

alabamagrizzly said:
Honest answeres only please. No negative Nancy's. Why do we get so much respect in the polls and are mostly nationally regarded as the second best con in the FCS, but can't show it in the post season? I don't think we're that bad. I know a lot of those losses are games I'm pretty sure we should have won(Cal Po and No Dak this year and SHS sweeping the Big Sky conference champions a couple years back).

I think you've got a few things at play here:

1. Since 2011 and moving forward NDSU has been the dominant force that makes everyone else (and all other conferences) look possibly worse than they really are. We're in the midst of the greatest 1-AA/FCS dynasty ever and it's going to have an effect on all other conferences. However one interesting thing is that NDSU themselves had only played a few Big Sky teams over this run. They beat MSU and lost to EWU in 2010. Then the next time they played a Big Sky school was last year when they beat Montana.

2. The expanded playoffs are letting in teams that simply aren't competitive with the top tier teams of the year. Notice the big change? 2010/2011/2012 the Big Sky is 10-6 with a national title won. It sent two teams twice and three teams once. Then the expansion hits and from 2013/2014/2015/2016 the Big Sky is 5-12 and only Montana and EWU have wins, everyone else got dropped on the first round. Also over this stretch we had 4 teams get sent twice and 3 teams sent twice.

Expanding on point #2. If it were the prior system and lets say just the bye week teams & conf champions get in you're looking at a combined record of 5-7 over that stretch, so you trim out 5 teams that snuck in just to get bounced out on the first game they played

BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

1. Since 2011 and moving forward NDSU has been the dominant force that makes everyone else (and all other conferences) look possibly worse than they really are. We're in the midst of the greatest 1-AA/FCS dynasty ever and it's going to have an effect on all other conferences. However one interesting thing is that NDSU themselves had only played a few Big Sky teams over this run. They beat MSU and lost to EWU in 2010. Then the next time they played a Big Sky school was last year when they beat Montana.

2. The expanded playoffs are letting in teams that simply aren't competitive with the top tier teams of the year. Notice the big change? 2010/2011/2012 the Big Sky is 10-6 with a national title won. It sent two teams twice and three teams once. Then the expansion hits and from 2013/2014/2015/2016 the Big Sky is 5-12 and only Montana and EWU have wins, everyone else got dropped on the first round. Also over this stretch we had 4 teams get sent twice and 3 teams sent twice.

Expanding on point #2. If it were the prior system and lets say just the bye week teams & conf champions get in you're looking at a combined record of 5-7 over that stretch, so you trim out 5 teams that snuck in just to get bounced out on the first game they played

I also think you have brands like Montana and Montana State that fill stadiums and give an overall positive vibe for the big sky....

people on the east coast still see Montana and automatically brings up memories of the dominant Griz teams of the past.....

and the conference has consitantly pumped out some national studs that post eye popping numbers like Cooper Kupp and Vernon Adams....

from the outside the conference looks awesome....from the inside we know its been declining for a while.

This isn't just a "Big Sky" issue. The Southern and the CAA are shells of their former selves as well...

AZGrizFan said:
This isn't just a "Big Sky" issue. The Southern and the CAA are shells of their former selves as well...

What is the MVC record, minus NDSU over the same time period?

Griz!ron said:
AZGrizFan said:

Was my question as well. I'd bet it's a little over .500, but not much, maybe 3 games. Although they did have Illinois State vs NDSU a few years ago for the chipper.

BozAngelesGriz said:
heh, at least we haven't lost a first-round game in a while! since Wofford in 05 i think :thumb:

That team was loaded with talent including a good number of current NFL players - Carpenter, Mariani, Reynolds, Anderson

Griz!ron said:
AZGrizFan said:

MVFC in the FCS Playoffs since 2010 (minus NDSU)....

Indiana State has one win.
Western Illinois has two wins.
South Dakota State has four wins.
Northern Iowa has five wins.
Illinois State has five wins and one National Championship appearance.

17 wins for the conference without NDSU.

Griz!ron said:
AZGrizFan said:

2010:
NDSU 2-1
WIU 1-1
UNI 0-1

2011:
NDSU 4-0
UNI 1-1

2012:
NDSU 4-0
SDSU 1-1
ISU 1-1

2013:
NDSU 4-0
SDSU 1-1

2014:
NDSU 4-0
ISU 3-1
UNI 1-1
SDSU 1-1
Indiana St 1-1

2015:
NDSU 4-0
ISU 1-1
UNI 2-1
SDSU 0-1
WIU 1-1

With NDSU's #'s 37-15
W/O NDSU's #'s 15-13

biga75 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
heh, at least we haven't lost a first-round game in a while! since Wofford in 05 i think :thumb:

That team was loaded with talent including a good number of current NFL players - Carpenter, Mariani, Reynolds, Anderson

And Biermann...and Hilliard....and Schillinger....

BadlandsGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I also think you have brands like Montana and Montana State that fill stadiums and give an overall positive vibe for the big sky....

people on the east coast still see Montana and automatically brings up memories of the dominant Griz teams of the past.....

and the conference has consitantly pumped out some national studs that post eye popping numbers like Cooper Kupp and Vernon Adams....

from the outside the conference looks awesome....from the inside we know its been declining for a while.

The Big Sky has never been a great conference from top to bottom...the last time a team not named Montana or EWU made the semi's was 1994 and that was Boise who isn't even in the conference anymore. The Big Sky has always been a one or two trick pony...its never been a dominant conference. Montana just made it look good for 20 years and EWU has made it look good since 2010...

BWahlberg said:
Me thinks the next time they played a Big Sky school was the 2015 opener when Montana beat them.

AZGrizFan said:
biga75 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

And Biermann...and Hilliard....and Schillinger....

And people ripped Hauck after that loss because he wasn't Joe Glenn. Perspective.

HookedonGriz said:
This is depressing. The Big Sigh in full effect.
BSC is very weak nationally, we don't deserve 2 teams in the playoffs let alone more. One is usually one and done.

Finally some levity and accuracy about the failures year after year. Until the BSC starts winning playoff games they do not deserve to have more than one team in. This conference doesn't win on the road and we don't win in the playoffs enough to deserve the number of teams admitted each year. The pioneer league could have 4 teams lose like we do each season

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BozAngelesGriz said:
Coastal Carolina in 2013, when it was real cold and only 14k showed up to Wa-Griz. Delaney flirted with trying to make a post season W.

Back