• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Schedule update

HookedonGriz

DONOR
I just saw Kyle tweeted that the Griz will more than likely fill their open date in 2017 with Savannah State, FCS out of MEAC. As long as it isn't Division II I am happy!

I also realized some of our tougher opponents will be at home this year, which will hopefully help. EWU, NAU, UND.

I have no problem with this. First, it is a Division I football game. It is against a team we haven't played and a school in the MEAC. I like the exposure. In a season with games already at Washington and what appears to be a tough Big Sky Schedule, that is about as good as you can hope for. Very glad it isn't an NAIA or Division II school. Will be interesting to see which week they play them at home. There are currently 2 open weeks on the 2017 schedule.

More worried about Washington possibly dropping us and then scrambling like mad to find an FCS at that point. That will be a tough task.

HookedonGriz said:
More worried about Washington possibly dropping us and then scrambling like mad to find an FCS at that point. That will be a tough task.
A loss to Wash or a win against a D-2 ultimately will have little effect on our post season hopes. Unless it's a close loss to Wash or a close win against the D-2. I'd prefer Wash just cancel now to give us more time to find an FCS opponent.

While I guess it could happen, I just don't see Washington dropping Montana. As they learned this year, the non conference schedule really only comes into play if you don't win your conference and championship game. As long as Washington wins the conference with only one conference loss, they will likely make it in the playoff 4. (like this year). Montana is at least a "name" and "brand" in FCS football and their ranking is usually better than many bottom end FBS teams.

I would think Kent would do his best to find out from Washington if they are even thinking of getting out of this game. He should try and gauge what is going on so it gives him the best chance to still get another game and not get blind sided in a few months.

alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
A loss to Wash or a win against a D-2 ultimately will have little effect on our post season hopes. Unless it's a close loss to Wash or a close win against the D-2. I'd prefer Wash just cancel now to give us more time to find an FCS opponent.

I understand that a d2 win now "counts" with the committee, but does it really? Meaning a 7-4 Griz team with a win over a D2 isn't probably going to the playoffs. A 7-4 team with a true 7 D1 wins is always better. That was my point I guess.

Brother Bear said:
Does anybody know the date of the Savannah State game?

The open dates were 9/16 and 10/21, so I would bet on the former, sandwiched between Udub and EWU.

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:

I understand that a d2 win now "counts" with the committee, but does it really? Meaning a 7-4 Griz team with a win over a D2 isn't probably going to the playoffs. A 7-4 team with a true 7 D1 wins is always better. That was my point I guess.
I got ya :thumb: I was pretty much agreeing with you, just expanding on your point. I know a game against an FBS playoff team will be a fun challange for the kids but baring any miracles, it's an unwinable game. A D2 game also won't affect our playoff chances unless we barely win, which would hurt us. I'd almost prefer Wash to pull out and give us an opportunity to schedule an FCS team that will definitely help our chances, given we win that is.

HookedonGriz said:
I just saw Kyle tweeted that the Griz will more than likely fill their open date in 2017 with Savannah State, FCS out of MEAC. As long as it isn't Division II I am happy!
Me too.

Washington is not going to dump us. From what I hear, we have heard nothing from Washington and the buyout is huge. Would actually be a financial windfall for us if they did.

Washington is not going to dump the Montana game this fall...

----
Debate around Washington FB's non-conference schedule this season is now a moot point with the Huskies in the College FB Playoff. UW AD Cohen talks about the difficulty of FB scheduling & the virtual impossibility of upgrading her 2017 slate which includes a road game at Rutgers and home games vs. Montana & Fresno State, but points to the 2018 match-up in Atlanta with Auburn as evidence the program is committed to playing tougher OOC tilts, plus she's working on more deals with peer 'Power 5' programs. "To look at (schedules) and think ‘intent’ is not really accurate, because a lot of time intent does not get demonstrated by the time you play those teams."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/criticized-for-their-soft-schedule-huskies-have-tougher-opponents-on-the-horizon/

HookedonGriz said:

Q - What is the date of the Savannah State game in 2017? Is it 9/16/17, or 10/21/17 ?

http://gogriz.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=109&path=football

Proud Griz Man said:
HookedonGriz said:

Q - What is the date of the Savannah State game in 2017? Is it 9/16/17, or 10/21/17 ?

There is no game shown for either 9/16 or 10/21.

'68griz said:
Proud Griz Man said:
HookedonGriz said:

There is no game shown for either 9/16 or 10/21.

Yes mister 68. I saw that too, and hoped that someone could answer the question of which date was going to be filled with the Savannah state game. I did not find an answer on the Montana website or the Savannah State website.

Kyle, do you know ?

Back