• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

20 years ago today Griz playoff game

Gametime

December 7, 1996 Griz played No. 7 East Tennessee State Buccaneers in the Quarterfinals in Missoula, in the cold, in front of 15,000 fans. Griz stomped the Bucs 44-14. Moved into the Semis, also at home a week later and absolutely throttled Troy State 70-7, to move onto the Championship against Randy Moss and the Marshall Thundering Herd (we won't talk about that game).

Those were the days, and now I have to be told what a good football team and staff look like, and if I say otherwise I am a bad fan.

Go Griz. UM, hope you once again find a coach and an AD that knows what championship football is all about.

I don't think you are a bad fan. But, do you think Mick Dennehy (head coach in 96) and Wayne Hogan (AD in 96) were the best the Griz have ever had? Dennehy never won a chipper as head coach and in fact, lost in the first round of the playoffs the next two seasons after 96. And I'll add, the Griz were not a championship football team that season. They did in fact get destroyed by Marshall. I know, I was there. And it wasn't Randy alone either. Marshall was loaded. Their defense was just as good as their offense. The Griz were ALMOST a championship team though.

George Ferguson said:
I don't think you are a bad fan. But, do you think Mick Dennehy (head coach in 96) and Wayne Hogan (AD in 96) were the best the Griz have ever had? Dennehy never won a chipper as head coach and in fact, lost in the first round of the playoffs the next two seasons after 96. And I'll add, the Griz were not a championship football team that season. They did in fact get destroyed by Marshall. I know, I was there. And it wasn't Randy alone either. Marshall was loaded. Their defense was just as good as their offense. The Griz were ALMOST a championship team though.

Ok, Big Sky Champions, and National Title contenders. I would be fine with that. Truth be told, I was not a huge fan of Dennehy, but I think Wayne knew the value of highly competitive teams. Pat Kennedy was a mistake. But Wayne was an aggressive fundraiser and was responsible for the North End Zone expansion.

George Ferguson said:

He also spent a good portion of those last two years coaching out of a trailer as the UM searched for money to finish the Adams Center renovations.

George Ferguson said:

Hog wash - you take Moss off that team and the Griz win going away.

Out of 18 completed passes for Marshall, 9 went to Moss for 220 yards and 4 TDs. He was a bit more than half their offense that day.

Gametime said:
December 7, 1996 Griz played No. 7 East Tennessee State Buccaneers in the Quarterfinals in Missoula, in the cold, in front of 15,000 fans. Griz stomped the Bucs 44-14. Moved into the Semis, also at home a week later and absolutely throttled Troy State 70-7, to move onto the Championship against Randy Moss and the Marshall Thundering Herd (we won't talk about that game).

Those were the days, and now I have to be told what a good football team and staff look like, and if I say otherwise I am a bad fan.

Go Griz. UM, hope you once again find a coach and an AD that knows what championship football is all about.

Thanks for the post --- good memories for sure.

But for Randy Moss 96 turns out the same as 95. He and he alone was the difference maker in that game. The rest of the 96 Marshall team was largely the same as the 95 Marshall team. I also feel that the 96 Griz team was a better, more experienced team than the 95 team. Here's to the good ol days!!

We are going to be in another great era again....

We got rid of the single biggest problem with our university in Royce Engstrom...

Haslam is a good AD:
went through the following and came out alive
1) BS Rape scandal
2)Loss of scholarships
3)Selvig Leaves
4)Tinkle Leaves

He still managed to get brand new game changing facilities built in the champions center and softball field...

I think the best is ahead for this university.

I agree with those suggesting we would have beat a Marshall team without Moss. The kid was an absolute man among boys and made our pass D look pretty weak. Marshall scored 49 of the 73 points scored on us in the 1996 playoffs or about 1/2 the points scored on us over 2 years.
Total playoff points 1996 - 191 vs. 73 scored on us. 1995 - 185 vs 34. Has anyone ever scored 376 playoff points in back to back years.
29 was the most points scored on Marshall in 1996.
As for Haslam, jury is still out IMO.

Fun Fact: ETSU (out of Johnson City, TN) just rebooted their football program a few years back...they played the Bobcats last season (and lost 63-7).

I ventured over to the ewu site today. It was depressing. They were chatting about quarterfinal playoff football, filling their stadium for the game, a defense peaking at the right time, and Payton Award Finalists.

It felt familiar and unrecognizable all at the same time.

SoldierGriz said:
I ventured over to the ewu site today. It was depressing. They were chatting about quarterfinal playoff football, filling their stadium for the game, a defense peaking at the right time, and Payton Award Finalists.

It felt familiar and unrecognizable all at the same time.

I remember those days......barely

GeauxGriz said:
George Ferguson said:

Hog wash - you take Moss off that team and the Griz win going away.

Out of 18 completed passes for Marshall, 9 went to Moss for 220 yards and 4 TDs. He was a bit more than half their offense that day.

This. I have often said Randy Moss scored 4 TDs agaisnt us in the NC game and if they would have thrown to him 5 times he would have scored 5. Not that far off the actual stats. They also had a "ringer" drop down FBS QB on top of everything else. That "96 team was one of the top two Griz teams of all time IMO. And, even with that we did not win.

That was along time ago. Many coaches and Griz players have come and gone. Some did good things others not so good. That's how the world rolls. The Dallas Cowboys have been shit for a long time. Now they are back. I truly feel the Griz will have another time too, because so many people want it so much. Because so many people will not settle for less. Is it this current coach? Only time will tell. I think it will be. The level of athelete coming from his first two classes is light years above what we have had for a while. I just hope it's in my lifetime.

Back