• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

RB- James Brown! I Feel GOOD!!!! (De)Commits

My guess is that Griz add one more RB in this class as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one gifted young man. Let's hope he develops well within the program!

Welcome to Montana Josh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREAT READ THANKS KYLE

Houston-area RB Brown commits to Griz
January 10, 2017 by Kyle Sample
Big Sky Conference, Breaking News, Football, Montana, Preps, Recruiting Central

Before coming to Missoula in November for an official visit, James Brown watched YouTube videos of past Griz games to get a sense of what to expect at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Standing on the sidelines prior to the Grizzlies’ game against Idaho State, Brown had a reassuring feeling.

“I didn’t really have an expectation because I didn’t know, but if I did have an expectation what was there exceeded where I was with it,” the 5-foot-10, 180-pound running back from Houston said on Dec. 17. “It was like a Power 5 school to me.”

Brown didn’t know it then, but Montana would also become the school he would chose to play football for. Brown on Tuesday announced his commitment to play for the Griz nearly a month after informing the coaching staff that he was coming north. The first high school recruit from Texas to give a verbal commitment to Montana in more than three decades made his decision following an in-home visit on Dec. 11.

Brown’s commitment is the 19th in the class of the 2017 and the first from a running back. It tilts the overall number of commitments to the offensive side of the ball, where 10 of the 19 verbals Montana has received are projected to play their collegiate careers.

Montana coaches are prohibited from speaking about Brown until after he signs his National Letter of Intent on National Signing Day scheduled for Feb. 1.

“As far as football, what I know about the football program, it offers a lot more than any other FCS program that I’ve seen and been to,” Brown said. “I haven’t been to a Division I FCS program with the stadium like that.”

Brown is more than familiar with FBS football having grown up in Southern California and outside Houston, two hotbeds for football recruiting. He said he has watched games at Florida State, Texas A&M, Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech and Oklahoma among others and the experience at Montana measured up to each Power 5 atmosphere.

“If you blindfolded me in Washington-Grizzly Stadium and blindfolded me in Kyle Field, I wouldn’t have been able to tell a distinct between the two,” Brown said of Texas A&M’s 102,733 seat stadium. “It was just as loud.”

A fan of Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson and a third cousin of Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles, Brown ran for 2,437 yards and 27 touchdowns during his last two seasons at Stafford High. He added another 527 yards and eight scores as a pass-catching option out of the backfield. As a senior, Brown helped Stafford to the quarterfinals of the Class 4A Division 1 playoffs as he picked up more than 10 yards per carry, scoring 13 times on the ground and turning seven of his 27 catches into touchdowns.

It garnered the attraction of a number of local schools, including some interest from Texas Tech. But when Montana came calling in late October, the wheels of Brown’s recruitment started spinning more quickly than ever.

Brown was aided by Coach Gaines Recruiting, a service run by former Montana All-American cornerback Justin Gaines, who helped Montana State tap into the Texas talent pool during his years as an assistant for Rob Ash in Bozeman. Gaines, who has been urging Montana to recruit Texas for years, passed Brown’s tape along to Montana recruiting coordinator and running backs coach.

Green started following Brown on Twitter and the two began talking through the social media website. The conversation picked up steam late in Brown’s senior season and by early November, Montana head coach Bob Stitt called to interview Brown and offer a scholarship. Within days, Brown was in Missoula.

“(Coach Green) was like, ‘What are you doing this weekend?’ and I was like, ‘I don’t have anything planned,’” Brown remembers. “The next thing I knew I was getting a notification on my phone that I was going to go up to Missoula. All of that happened in a span of about 13 hours.”

Recruited by Texas Southern, Alcorn State, Kingsville, Nevada and Texas Tech, Brown said it was the relationship he developed with Green that separated the Grizzlies and convinced him to leave Texas for Montana.

“The thing that separated Montana was, how do I say this, the people, the coaches, how they showed me their interest,” Brown said. “How they were actually like you need to get up here, we love you.”

“The other schools were like we’ll talk to you whenever we talk to you. But coach Green, we were talking constantly. He was just showing, basically, how much he wanted me. Now I’m at where I’m at with it.”

Kyle Sample, guessing this was the commit you knew about but kept quiet out of respect? You were right....we are happy about it!

Paytonlives said:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdZpNUzFIg[/youtube]

man, he is so light on his feet he could walk on water.

love early JB such as Live at the Apollo
he could put on a show..........and dance like this in the video.......he could swivel that 1 foot and slide the other all the way across a big stage. amazing move, can see where MJ got some of his moves.

James, Welcome to Montana and the Griz!

mcg said:
Does he know the Grizzlies won-lost record last year?

I am betting he does. Probably one of the reasons he chose the Griz. He wants to be part of something special. The last two recruiting classss are very strong. Good for him and welcome Mr. Brown!

Great looking All-Purpose Back, with good speed, vision, balance and strength.

He's going to have a great career here at MONTANA.

I am excited about this addition. :dance:

Back