• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's your first Griz memory?

rocklobster

Mine is Mike Roban coming from Navy to the Griz! My older brother was going to school in Missoula, and I just remember watching him play on TV! It didn't matter how good he was, the team was awful! I know that's when I first became a fan! And I realized at that time- as a certain poster always puts it-the Bobcat's sucked!

The Montana - Wyoming games in Billings in the late 50's, early 60's. We were so overmatched. Cowboys had an early soccer-style kicker, many years before Stenerud appeared for MSU.

Sneaking in to the Griz games through the wire on the north end of the east bleachers at the old Dornblaser field in about 1953-4 as a 7-8 year old boy knowing that I wanted to nbe the next Dick Imer!!

I have the exact memory as (thedrof) and sometimes we could not get out of the tunnel. I saw Dick Imer break Russing record. I think he had 880 yards.

Playing nerf football behind the bleachers at Dornblazer. Sometimes the bleachers weren't even up. Getting chin straps from the players when they walked by you to the locker rooms.

Basketball: Cub Club and he crazy intense basketball games with 9,000 plus fans. Half court shots at halftime for a Chance to win a car at the end of the season.

1990 my first gamei was 5 was against Thomas morre and it was 62 to 0 finished around 500 on the year but I was hooked

My first Griz memory was when the Grizzly Marching Band came to Helena for a Capital High Football game to play music with our pep band. That was my first encounter with the Griz and what sold me to go to school at UM.

My first Griz experience I consider to be pretty unique compared to most. I had never attended a Griz game before my freshman year of college (2007), so I had no clue how amazing the gameday atmosphere was. My first experience at a Griz game wasn't in the stands, but was on the field with the Grizzly Marching Band. Lining up for the tunnel run and hearing the roar of 25,000 fans as the Griz blasted onto the field, so loud that I had trouble hearing myself play my instrument. Adrenaline to the max. It was like someone gave me a shot of Griz to my blood stream.

I've been hooked ever since.

Watching the 2001 national championship after school with a bunch of friends in the basement of former Bobcat Mike Persons parents. That was a good day!

Well I'm only 18 but one of my favorite griz memories was the game in 2009 against SDSU. I remember I was so excited I loss my voice after the game

1995 vs Boise St. Well I listened to them on the radio before that but that was the first game I got to go to. A rancher i worked the summer for invited me to the game. In credible watching DD tear the Broncos a new one after all the smack talk they were doing about how glad they were to be leaving the inferior Big Sky. That day was perfect. Perfect weather, awesome game, great crowd, good food. I was hooked for life.

Gametime said:
Playing nerf football behind the bleachers at Dornblazer. Sometimes the bleachers weren't even up. Getting chin straps from the players when they walked by you to the locker rooms.

Basketball: Cub Club and he crazy intense basketball games with 9,000 plus fans. Half court shots at halftime for a Chance to win a car at the end of the season.

Very similar... my dad would get so pissed because I did not know the Griz football score (they usually lost and sucked really bad) but I knew how many nerf TDs I scored behind the end zone bleachers.

Yes, I was a cub clubber for 3 years... but I was always on the lookout for Sugar Ray Richardson wrist bands.

Freshman year 1979. Drinking beer in Elrod Hall and then rolling down to Dornblaser and sitting on the visitors side. Thats where the students sat. I grew up in rural Iowa and I remember thinking what a shit show, we played in bigger stadiums in podunk towns in the middle of nowhere. I dont remember who we played that first game, it was a gorgeous fall day, Dornblaser sure was an eye opener though. Empty scnapps bottles made a hell of a racket going down to the ground through the bleachers. I do seem to remember vaguely the Boise game that year and losing on a last minute safety. That was the end of the Gene Carlson days and the start of Larry Donovan.

I remember running around the grass endzones. For specific games I remember watching the Delaware game on my tiny black and white TV, and I specifically remember attending the Jacksonville State game. Something about that stuck in my child head (a team from Florida! [Alabama])

Paytonlives said:
Gametime said:

Very similar... my dad would get so pissed because I did not know the Griz football score (they usually lost and sucked really bad) but I knew how many nerf TDs I scored behind the end zone bleachers.

Yes, I was a cub clubber for 3 years... but I was always on the lookout for Sugar Ray Richardson wrist bands.

That's good stuff. I went up to the bench (during the end of the game) and asked and received Michael "Sugar" Ray Richardson's wrist band. I still have it somewhere. Big moment for a 9 or 10 year old.

My first memory is before the Griz were the Griz. They were the Silvertips or Tips.

As an 11 year old boy I was amazed that a team from Montana was on television! It was the 1969 Camellia Bowl; played in Sacramento I think. Unfortunately we got waxed* by NDSU.

*The team did not have many key players for the bowl game. For some reason the NCAA did not allow JC transfer players to participate in postseason bowl games.

loved going to basketball and football games as an ankle-biter growing up in Missoula, but my first specific memory is a bad one - traumatizing even

My dad telling me they had to fire my favorite grizzly (MRR) at work because he was given a stack of work to do in the field, but instead went to play basketball at a park all day.

Latest posts

Back