• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Oregon suspends strength coach for one month after three players hospitalized

PlayerRep

"Oregon football suspended its strength and conditioning for one month, following an incident which sent multiple players to a hospital with a dangerous condition. Head Coach Willie Taggart apologized Tuesday, saying that he held himself “responsible.”

Offensive linemen Doug Brenner and Sam Poutasi and tight end Cam McCormick were reported to be in fair condition by The Oregonian, with Poutasi’s mother telling the newspaper that he was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a syndrome in which damaged skeletal muscle degenerates and leaks into the bloodstream. It can lead to kidney failure, but if victims are treated quickly, they often fully recover."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/01/18/oregon-suspends-strength-coach-for-one-month-after-three-players-hospitalized/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_oregon-810p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.bcfdb3fddd0c

From ESPN article
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...uspends-strength-conditioning-coach-pay-month

Multiple sources described the workouts to The Oregonian as "akin to military basic training, with one said to include up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs."

However, a source told ESPN.com that the workouts weren't as strenuous as The Oregonian reported, indicating for example that players haven't started using weights yet. Several Ducks players also took to Twitter to downplay the reported severity of the workouts

The only positive thing I can get out of that story is that I now have an excuse to work out less strenuously.

It would be interesting to know what the CK levels on these players were. It doesnt take that crazy of a workout to elevate ck levels. I suspect workouts described by a former player in a blog on here would likely raise ck levels to some degree. A study should be done in which many or all college programs are tested after their most vigorous workouts and compare ck levels to those in question here. Likely not that different. I dont know for sure as I wasnt at the workouts but it is not surprising that ck levels are elevated after a vigorous workout.
I can see a scenario where a new coach comes in and works the kids harder than they had been previously and players take note of it. They then get sore and more sore than usual. They go to an see a provider, unfortunately, likely an ED and because they are complaining of pain after a workout a ck level is checked and it is elevated and then in an overabundance of caution they are admitted for IV hydration and now there is a headline. When, in reality, there is nothing unusual here. We just dont have enough data on ck levels in college athletes following workouts and games or if we do it isnt common knowledge.
Again, I wasnt at the workouts and maybe they were excessive but the fact that ck levels were elevated after a workout means very little. Also the more muscle mass you have the higher your ck levels are likely to be after workout.

Back