• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Football Coach Salaries

KILO217

Base salaries for Big Sky Conference coaches from article last week in Spokesman Review...

Name, school, salary under recent contract

Dan Hawkins, UC Davis, $262,500

Beau Baldwin, EWU, $240,000

Tim Walsh, Cal Poly, $205,200

Bruce Barnum, Portland State, $187,500

Jerome Souers, Northern Arizona, $185,000

Jeff Choate, Montana State, $180,000

Bob Stitt, Montana, $179,000

Jody Sears, Sacramento State, $175,000

Mike Kramer, Idaho State, $154,523

Jay Hill, Weber State, $150,000

Bubba Schweigert, North Dakota, $150,000

Earnest Collins, Northern Colorado, $117,000

*Demario Warren, Southern Utah, NA

Are the compensation structures for the Montana Universities more incentive/bonus driven? Too lazy do the research myself, but I would assume that they might be compared to some of the other schools.

I'm not sure...But I'm sure some eGrizer knows the answer. What is Stitt's total compensation and how does it compare to State coach and other BSC peers?

Warren's base is said to be $73,592.

http://www.utahsright.com/profile.php?id=2953547

*edit - never mind, I thought this was his HC salary. It's not. It's from when he was assistant coach

The_Real_Chief said:
Wow these guys don't get paid much.

Actually I see it the other way. All these guys are rather well paid. Adding in their other perks such as doing radio/TV shows, 'company' autos, etc... and potential performance incentives which some will achieve and they're making at least 1/3rd to almost double the amounts shown in their base salary. Now "these guys don't get paid much" when compared to the ridiculous salaries being coughed up at the major P5 schools. Yet that is a reflection of the gross over payment for coaches at the big dog programs rather than underpayment at this level.

If you're doubting me consider that both Stitt & Choate are both probably in, or near, the top 5% of MT incomes. Hard to say that isn't paid much. :ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:
The_Real_Chief said:
Wow these guys don't get paid much.

Actually I see it the other way. All these guys are rather well paid. Adding in their other perks such as doing radio/TV shows, 'company' autos, etc... and potential performance incentives which some will achieve and they're making at least 1/3rd to almost double the amounts shown in their base salary. Now "these guys don't get paid much" when compared to the ridiculous salaries being coughed up at the major P5 schools. Yet that is a reflection of the gross over payment for coaches at the big dog programs rather than underpayment at this level.

If you're doubting me consider that both Stitt & Choate are both probably in, or near, the top 5% of MT incomes. Hard to say that isn't paid much. :ugeek:

This has nothing to do with being paid high relative to Montana incomes. This is about being paid relative to other conference head coaches (at a minimum) or at a level of the top FCS programs that should be our peers.

You wouldn't expect a CEO based in Montana that works for a large, national company to be paid the same as small Montana business' CEO. You need to pay relative to the proper peer group.

There is no rhyme or reason for these salary disparities; it's mind boggling to me and the Big Sky Conference commissioner should be pressured big-time to find a remedy. Over the past 20 years, the BSC has financially relied upon Grizzly football to generate a lot of its revenue; yet, that revenue doesn't at all reflect in the Griz's football coach's salary. I would really like to see how much money UCD, Cal Poly, EWU, PSU, and NAU have historically generated for the BSC through TV and gate revenue. Holy cow! It is time for the adoption of an equalization salary schedule! This isn't right.

The Montana regents need to pull their heads out of their butts regarding many issues, but this one smells shitty to me.

umwsufan said:
There is no rhyme or reason for these salary disparities; it's mind boggling to me and the Big Sky Conference commissioner should be pressured big-time to find a remedy. Over the past 20 years, the BSC has financially relied upon Grizzly football to generate a lot of its revenue; yet, that revenue doesn't at all reflect in the Griz's football coach's salary. I would really like to see how much money UCD, Cal Poly, EWU, PSU, and NAU have historically generated for the BSC through TV and gate revenue. Holy cow! It is time for the adoption of an equalization salary schedule! This isn't right.
So you believe it's the BSC's role to control HCing salaries? Wow! And since there is no gate revenue sharing in the BSC, your point makes no more sense than Nancy Pelosi's redistribution of wealth.

IMO, if you add in radio, TV, appearances etc they are not struggling but it does surprise me that UCD is on top. Probably had to go higher to get a name like Hawkins. I heard that the ROOT TV deal only paid each school like $10K. I hope that is wrong, however, if it is not, I hope our new Commish remedies this situation.

They are all paid well. Very well. They are coaching football. I bet any cop on the street would be delighted to get just 100k. Yes the same people who could take a bullet any day of the week when they' are on shift. Possibly these coaches are underpaid compared to their peer group. Maybe that is not the real problem. We are paying coaches way to much for what they do - period.

While a lot of focus is on the HC salaries (more public), they don't do it alone. I wonder, in general, how the spread of salaries of the coaching staffs compare across programs or to the HC amounts. I suspect it is more of an aggregated budget line-item to which the HC must manage.

Copper Griz said:
They are all paid well. Very well. They are coaching football. I bet any cop on the street would be delighted to get just 100k. Yes the same people who could take a bullet any day of the week when they' are on shift. Possibly these coaches are underpaid compared to their peer group. Maybe that is not the real problem. We are paying coaches way to much for what they do - period.

I would rather take a bullet any day than have to put up with the athletic directors on egriz.....

Back