• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2018 Recruiting (Preview)

Paytonlives

Staff member
Offers(1)
WR- Nick Germer 6'2" 170 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT (Twitter 2/15)

I guess its not too early to get started. Though Coach Stitt has made it clear that he has a one hour verbal questionnaire and really likes to offer kids that he has in camp or close ties to the program, that are good students and good teammates. So I would guess we won't see any offers until the Spring Camps at UM.

That being said, UM has 18 Seniors on the roster for the 2017 Season.

The Offense will lose 4 OL, 2 WR 1 RB and a QB.
OL- Mike Ralston
OL- Cooper Sprunk
OL- Robert Luke
OL- David Reese
WR- Makena Simis
WR- Josh Horner
RB- Treshawn Favors
QB- Reese Phillips

O-Line
At first glance losing 4 Seniors on your O-line would seem really scary. But Stitt and Company have loaded the underclass shelves with very large, very good players. EIkmeyer (F) 300, Jackson (F) 315, Meyer (So) 285, Villanueva (So) 315, Hart (So) 312, Torres (F) 315, & Scott (F) 320. Griz nation can rest assured that the Griz DOLA is ready to roar back.

Tight Ends:
What?

Quarterbacks:
UM loses a Senior Reese Philips, that will have to play/work really hard to become the starter this season. Breathing Down his neck are Junior Caleb Hill and Freshmen Gresch Jensen. UM also has 2 Red-shirt Freshmen coming to camp. The QB Spring and Fall camp will be highly watched and highly dissected. The QB that is the most accurate will likely get the nod. The Coaches love Jensen, but I get this sneaking suspicion that Caleb Hill will surprise most and win the starting Job

Running backs
UM loses T. Favors, but he will likely be used most often in the return game this fall.
Calhoun and McCombs are Juniors, Green is a Freshmen and Moses will red-shirt. UM will be just fine at RB, but look for a Transfer to fill the Sophomore gap... wink wink.

Wide Receiver
The only Seniors on the 2016 Roster are Simis and Horner.
Those guys will be hard pressed to find playing time this fall With Calhoun, Curran, JLM, Akem, Toure, Bingham and Corbin all available... UM's pass game just got a lot better. Also, Keep and eye on Lamarriel Taylor... my pick for sleeper surprise of fall camp.
This is most likely the strongest group on the Griz Team.

The Defense loses 3 DL, 2 LB, 3 CB and 2 Safeties.
DT- Brandt Davidson
DT- Myles Mckee-Osibodu
DE- Tucker Schye
S- Mick Delaney
S- Justin Strong
CB- Shane Moody
CB- Ryan McKinley
CB- Korey Alexander
LB- Connor Strahm
LB- James Banks

D-Line: Davidson and MMO will be major cogs in this years D, losing them will hurt. There are only 6 other DT/DL guys on the roster. D Shaw (J) and Longoria (F) are over 300 pounds. Davis (J), Rosling (F), Rodriguez(F) and Bradshaw(F) are all below 260 pounds

D Ends:
UM's only DE Senior is Tucker Schye and he will be a big contributor next fall. The roster has 3 Juniors, 3 Sophomores and 4 Freshmen. A perfect mix... The top 4 of Schye, Gilfoy Jr., Sims and Favoroso looks like maybe the best unit on the team aside from WR.
This is most likely the 2nd strongest group on the Griz Team.

Linebackers:
UM Loses two Starting LB's (Strahm and Banks) But have 13 other LB's on the roster. This years class contains 3 gems, Sweet, Matthews and Key And Buss is a Junior. H. Ryan, Sirmon and Fa'atuiese are Sophomores... So this crew looks really solid.

Corners:
Here is where it gets interesting. UM's current roster shows only 6 players listed as CB or DB in 2017 and 3 of those are Seniors...McKinley, Moody and Alexander. That leaves Sanders (J) and Freshmen Egbo and Cowans. That's a pretty thin group numbers wise and I would expect either a drop down or 2 or some safeties/WR to move to CB. Some possibilities include Dareon Nash (might already be moved) and Evan Epperly (All-state CB in HS)

Safties:
Lose 2 Seniors.. Strong and Delaney.
Sandry (So) is a star in the making (most likely wearing 37). Epperly is a Junior, probably a better fit at CB and UM has Freshmen Crow and Banks. UM probably needs another drop down Safety. Unless Crow and/or Banks prove to be ready to play.

You think Horner will be hard pressed to find playing time as a senior? Is that because of injury or something else?

payton...like the thread....you did try to take some time off hee, hee...love it...it's in your blood...go griz !

garizzalies said:
You think Horner will be hard pressed to find playing time as a senior? Is that because of injury or something else?

Sam Akem and Toure are the real deal...

I see Horners role around the goalline/ redzone...

QB- I expect Hill, the Texas 2nd Team All-Stater (HS) and a guy that threw to talented WR James Homan in HS, to win the Griz job. He comes from a JC that produces many Div 1 football players, including QB. Whoever wins the job, will deserve it. I like this group.

RB - It might be possible that McCombs will be a RS-SO next season. I know he transferred up to UM last year, but I believe he applied for a medical redshirt... something to watch the roster for :?: RB position is looking strong.

WR - Horner will have a good to great SR season. Young bucks need to grow up. Future looks good.

OL - Could (or not) have another year of up and down play, most of us are high on the potential of the large Stitt recruits in the furure.

DL - The 4 positions on the DL are going to be very formidable (especially with the transfers). I like it :!:

LB - The rising star has been Dante Olson (former scout team D player of the year), this position is loaded to the gills.

S - Sandry needs to improved on his missed tackles to rise up to star level, but he was young, he will.

CB - Not the strongest position on the team by any means, but probably a focus for improvement. Looking forward to seeing Egbo progress, he's an athlete.

This team is looking to open some eyes... it's been a while. GO GRIZ

Paytonlives said:
garizzalies said:

I believe some of the offensive difficulties experienced last season had to do with Stitt's devotion to the "roles" each of the receivers played. In year one, he adapted to what he had and used a guy like Roberts in place of the JLM role of this past season.

Imagine having four "burners" on the field @ once, every once in a while, just to shake things up. Getting separation was a huge problem @ times and some of it is strategy, some of it was ability to get it. Why not be a little less predictable as long as you have a perceived embarrassment of riches.

Paytonlives said:
garizzalies said:

If you say so. Guess I'll believe it when I see it.
IMHO, Horner was the best returning WR last year and will be again, depending on injury status. All the others look flashy but aren't nearly as consistent as Horner, at least not yet

bgbigdog said:
Paytonlives said:
garizzalies said:

I believe some of the offensive difficulties experienced last season had to do with Stitt's devotion to the "roles" each of the receivers played. In year one, he adapted to what he had and used a guy like Roberts in place of the JLM role of this past season.

Imagine having four "burners" on the field @ once, every once in a while, just to shake things up. Getting separation was a huge problem @ times and some of it is strategy, some of it was ability to get it. Why not be a little less predictable as long as you have a perceived embarrassment of riches.

Who are the four "burners"?

IntuitiveGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
Paytonlives said:
garizzalies said:

Who are the four "burners"?

Toure, Akem, JLM, Calhoun, Nagler, Corbin - take your pick. You also have a Taylor, Curran, Eaton to choose from. I think you could find four "burners" from this group and anyone else I may have missed off the top of my head.

I'll hang up now and wait for the T & F stats guys or the video speed analysis crowd to weigh in on how wrong I am.

agree that we have updated w/r speed a bunch,,,,,need time to deliver the ball to them.....this new o/l may just do that...

rocklobster said:
Look for Bingham to have a great year! He stepped up last year, and could be bigger this year!

Bingham is a monster. He may play on Sunday's if he keeps catching everything like he has.

I know this is the 2018 thread, but considering our lack of depth (and need) at CB, has there been any thought given to Kobey Eaton? I just rewatched some of his HUDL senior video and he shows a number of plays where he played CB in high school.

With his speed and length, if he can react and cover, he would seem to be a natural to try.

behappp said:
I know this is the 2018 thread, but considering our lack of depth (and need) at CB, has there been any thought given to Kobey Eaton? I just rewatched some of his HUDL senior video and he shows a number of plays where he played CB in high school.

With his speed and length, if he can react and cover, he would seem to be a natural to try.

duplicate post

behappp said:

I hear Nash and Eaton will both attempt that transition. :thumb:

garizzalies said:
Paytonlives said:
garizzalies said:

If you say so. Guess I'll believe it when I see it.
IMHO, Horner was the best returning WR last year and will be again, depending on injury status. All the others look flashy but aren't nearly as consistent as Horner, at least not yet
I'd probably put JLM or Calhoun in that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back