• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

N. Colorado in NCAA trouble

Paytonlives

Staff member
A news report came out that added to the the troubles at UNC... The coming NCAA ruling might easily roll over into all aspects of UNC athletics

These 3 quotes say it all.

1-In the notice of allegations, NCAA investigators on Feb. 10 laid out their case against former UNC coaches. Nearly all were described as a Level 1 Violations, the most severe, because the violations provided or were intended to provide advantages in recruiting and showed “reckless indifference” to the NCAA constitution and bylaws.

2-“It is extremely unfortunate that the actions of our former coaches initially went undetected; however, the allegations do not charge that we lacked institutional control or failed to monitor our men’s basketball program,” she said.

3- Hill completed academic coursework in algebra for a men’s basketball player, and he directed an athletic trainer to do the same for another prospective player, according to the report.
The $7,000 Hill provided to recruits paid tuition for prospective student athletes, according to the report. On top of providing benefits and taking courses for prospective students, Hill directed assistant coaches to do the same, according to the report. Combined with Hill’s contributions, UNC coaches paid $12,000 in tuition at other institutions.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/local/ncaa-university-of-northern-colorado-coach-did-coursework-paid-tuition-for-prospective-recruits/

TIMELINE OF PROCESS

Below is a timeline of the NCAA investigative process into the University of Northern Colorado men’s basketball team.

April 21 — UNC self-reports to the NCAA potential violations of men’s basketball program.

Oct. 7 — UNC announces self-imposed penalties that include a postseason ban for the program this season, financial penalties, and restrictions on recruiting and future financial aid awards in the program.

Feb. 10 — NCAA concludes investigation and provides written Notice of Allegations to UNC. February-May: The university and others involved in the case will prepare and file responses to the Notice of Allegations. Pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.7.2, responses from the institution shall be submitted within 90 days from the date of this letter unless an extension is granted by the Committee on Infractions.

Summer 2017 (anticipated) — The university, enforcement staff, and others involved will attend a scheduled hearing with the Committee on Infractions to review the case.

Fall 2017 (anticipated) — The Committee on Infractions will issue a decision containing its findings.

– University of Northern Colorado

How did UM get a failure to monitor with its no-big-deal facts, and UNC didn't with these facts?

Perhaps UNC should hire Engstrom as a consultant, and he could help them get the death penalty.

Hell... I thought it was the Tar Heels you were talking about... Figured it would have been bigger news... :)

grizpack said:
Hell... I thought it was the Tar Heels you were talking about... Figured it would have been bigger news... :)
Very confusing Grizpack! It is actually NCU in trouble NOT UNC.

Too bad North Colorado is not North Carolina. They should have received the "death penalty" but, alas...money rules all.

As one poster pointed out it's not bad enough that NCU/UNC failed to compete on the field despite these egress violations but they only serve to give a black eye to the Big Sky Conference. I feel that Fullerton's experiment of incorporating schools close to major population centers has proven to be a colossal mistake. It has not proven to expand our brand in a positive way. If you look at attendance for sporting events it's an embarrassment.
I think it's time to end this misguided (ad)venture and start with giving NCU/UNC two years to find another affiliation or drop down to Division II. And then I would put the other marginal, and you know who you are, on a 5 year plan to meet certain facilities and attendance criteria or face expulsion from the conference.

Sport said:
As one poster pointed out it's not bad enough that NCU/UNC failed to compete on the field despite these egress violations but they only serve to give a black eye to the Big Sky Conference. I feel that Fullerton's experiment of incorporating schools close to major population centers has proven to be a colossal mistake. It has not proven to expand our brand in a positive way. If you look at attendance for sporting events it's an embarrassment.
I think it's time to end this misguided (ad)venture and start with giving NCU/UNC two years to find another affiliation or drop down to Division II. And then I would put the other marginal, and you know who you are, on a 5 year plan to meet certain facilities and attendance criteria or face expulsion from the conference.

From your lips to a commissioner's ear. But not holding my breath on Williams wading in with anything as logical as this.

What's the big deal? This is a simple conflict of interest, between the ethical standards of a governing body, and a handsome young coach and his loyal assistants who were simply trying to garner a few wins for their school, while earning better contracts for their families. Nobody was killed. Nobody was hurt. No women were raped. So why does the Greeley paper have to publish this stuff? I hope the good people of Greeley cancel their subscriptions, until the paper starts covering the things that are important to Americans--celebrity gossip, high-profile divorce cases, serial killings, and terror attacks, whether fake or not. Reporting on ethical standards is a "slippery slope." Let the "free market" settle this.

In fact, I would suggest that the Media of this country, whether covering the Northern Colorado basketball program or the Trump Administration, adhere to the old Turkish proverb: If something smells, don't stick you nose in it.

Griz2k said:
Wait, so they cheated and still suck at pretty much everything?

Didn't they win the men's hoops championship during this time period and go to the ncaa's? Looks like this may have paid off for them in that regard.

It's true NCU/UNC did win a Big Sky Championship in basketball in 2011. One of the biggest homer jobs in history and one reason the tournament was moved to a neutral site. In that game the Grizzlies had 13 more fouls and 16 less FT. Quale, Cherry and I think Jamar all fouled out. No one on the Bears team had more then 3 fouls.

bgbigdog said:
Sport said:

From your lips to a commissioner's ear. But not holding my breath on Williams wading in with anything as logical as this.

+2 Great post! You're giving EG an erection.

Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Sport said:

True dat. And thank GOD it's Valentine's Day so that I have at least a marginal chance of putting it to use without going blind.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Sport said:

True dat. And thank GOD it's Valentine's Day so that I have at least a marginal chance of putting it to use without going blind.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back