• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A Different look at the 2017 Schedule

Paytonlives

Staff member
Below is my list of easiest opponent to strongest... Would like other egrizers thoughts on looking at the schedule this way. BTW this years schedule is a lot friendlier than last. Nice to see 2 of the hardest games at home.

Schedule easiest to hardest
(H) Savannah State Sept 16th (3-7)
(H) Valpo Sept 2nd (4-7)
(A) ISU Oct 7th (2-9)
(H) N.Colorado Nov 11th (3-8)
(H) NAU Nov 4th (5-6)
(A) PSU Sept 30th (3-8)
(A) MSU Nov 18th (4-7)
(A) Weber Oct 30th (7-5)
(H) North Dakota Oct 14th (9-3)
(H) EWU Sept 23rd (12-2)
(A) Washington Sept 9th (12-2 FBS)

I'm sticking to my guns. I truly believe if the Griz can win TWO of these three road games: at PSU, at Weber and at MSU, they will do no worse than a tie for the Big Sky title, because I honestly believe that IF the Griz have a viable QB, they will not lose at home. I've said it since last December, this schedule sets the Griz up to win the Big Sky. But the gigantic IF is still, does Montana have a QB on its roster capable of getting the job done? That remains to be seen.

I think Valpo will be an easier game than Savannah State. Savannah State signed one of the top fcs receivers in the country. Other than that it looks good

NAU should have Cookus back so I'd bump that game up a notch or 3. Especially with the current look of our secondary.

The Griz fan in me says hell yeah great schedule all but one winnable! The realist after the last few seasons says great schedule all but two could be potential losses.
I still have faith in stitt and love the talent he brought on board, I have just lost the feeling that the griz will win every game and that teams fear them.
im guessing 8-3 or 7-4

Added Washington....

Playing at home no longer means what it used to...

Same coaches minus one...is that the key?

Biggest question in my mind is not QB, it is OL. How good can they be?

Would love if our fan base would NOT crown the Griz pre-season anything. Sounds like cat fans.

Despite the negativity above, I am actually optimistic about this season. I think the coaches finally get their act together, and we see improved team chemistry translate to wins.

(H) Valpo Sept 2nd (4-7)
(A) ISU Oct 7th (2-9)
(A) PSU Sept 30th (3-8)
(A) Weber Oct 30th (7-5)
(A) MSU Nov 18th (4-7)
(H) NAU Nov 4th (5-6)
(H) EWU Sept 23rd (12-2)

Not a ton of differences, but I'd put it this way. Probably giving msu too much credit.

I think Weber and NAU are gonna be tricky ones.

QB being the biggest question mark, but after watching us give up hundreds of yards on QB draws against Bozeman, and getting burned all day against NAU.....is the defense going to adjust and be able to get teams off the field and below 30 a game? The defense late last season was just.....terrible. Every game is going to be a battle if that doesn't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Ferguson said:
I'm sticking to my guns. I truly believe if the Griz can win TWO of these three road games: at PSU, at Weber and at MSU, they will do no worse than a tie for the Big Sky title, because I honestly believe that IF the Griz have a viable QB, they will not lose at home. I've said it since last December, this schedule sets the Griz up to win the Big Sky. But the gigantic IF is still, does Montana have a QB on its roster capable of getting the job done? That remains to be seen.

agree here first,,,,after attending the unc game in Greeley it became obvious that BOTH our pass and run defense had major holes in them.....against the kitties, our middle backer could not tackle their qb, they did not throw, so I do not know if our pass defense is any better than it was against unc........being a fan, I would like to say it will be our year....I guess I'm in the hope stage,,,,, I do hope stitt makes spring ball an all out brawl for each and every position on the team, we need to shake it up and compete imo.

krammer said:
George Ferguson said:

agree here first,,,,after attending the unc game in Greeley it became obvious that BOTH our pass and run defense had major holes in them.....against the kitties, our middle backer could not tackle their qb, they did not throw, so I do not know if our pass defense is any better than it was against unc........being a fan, I would like to say it will be our year....I guess I'm in the hope stage,,,,, I do hope stitt makes spring ball an all out brawl for each and every position on the team, we need to shake it up and compete imo.
I hear you 100% on the defense. I think Stitt and the assistants have a GREAT handle on the offense, I think that will sort itself out. My concern is defense....it seemed like the novelty of having 7 guys standing up at the LOS and rushing the QB EVERY SINGLE DOWN wasn't the formula for success. I'd like to see us come out with a more traditional front with 3 or 4 down linemen. Especially with Shaw and Davidson in the middle.

I must say that, IMHO, so far at least, this thread is one of the most realistic yet positive and refreshing I have seen on E-Griz in a long time. Honest, thoughtful, realistic, and actually fun to read and think about. I for one, thank you all for that.......

The griz had an issue last year with the fact teams would have 6 lineman in to block and often a back to help. This meant we had to bring 6 or 7 guys to get pressure. This left DBs on islands for Lon periods and if a runner got past that initial front they had room to make people miss. It's very hard as a DB to come off a WR to make a play on a RB that is in open field at full speed. I think with the D line additions we will be able to send less 6-7 fronts and this will help tremendous on long downs. Our DBs are not bad...thin but not bad. If we get honest pressure from 3or4 that will make HUGE swings on D. Also we can be more aggressive and cause T.Os I think this schedule says success for stitt. He gets the shootouts at home and that is a big deal. The WSU and PSU games are looking like those road ?s we see all the time. I bet we drop one of those and atleast one at home(EWU or NAU). I don't think MSU will be good and I see us winning that game. So 8-3 is my realistic pick and 9-2 is my hopeful pick. EWU and NAU are very very winnable at home. NAU is always up and down and EWU has a few new coaches and that can cause a lack of stability even though they have a lot of talent. No. Dak can be solid but I don't see them putting together another big season. i see a ton of ?s in the bigsky this year and I think you will not see a team dominate the sky like in the past

mtgrizfankb said:
The griz had an issue last year with the fact teams would have 6 lineman in to block and often a back to help. This meant we had to bring 6 or 7 guys to get pressure. This left DBs on islands for Lon periods and if a runner got past that initial front they had room to make people miss. It's very hard as a DB to come off a WR to make a play on a RB that is in open field at full speed. I think with the D line additions we will be able to send less 6-7 fronts and this will help tremendous on long downs. Our DBs are not bad...thin but not bad. If we get honest pressure from 3or4 that will make HUGE swings on D. Also we can be more aggressive and cause T.Os

You just described my biggest complaint in the UNC game. I watched UNC send 4 guys all day and get to and fluster Brady repeatedly, allowing them to cover with 7 and causing Brady to have to check down and NEVER look downfield. Meanwhile we'd send 5-7 and never seem to get there in time.

Yeah NAU, EWU and N. Dakota will be the the first group of favorites. N. Dakota probably has the most certainty of any of the teams. The Griz will be a wildcard. Really hard to say what they'll be come fall but it is nice to have those tough games at home. Weber lost their QB and other pieces is why I don't have them in my top group.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
The griz had an issue last year with the fact teams would have 6 lineman in to block and often a back to help. This meant we had to bring 6 or 7 guys to get pressure. This left DBs on islands for Lon periods and if a runner got past that initial front they had room to make people miss. It's very hard as a DB to come off a WR to make a play on a RB that is in open field at full speed. I think with the D line additions we will be able to send less 6-7 fronts and this will help tremendous on long downs. Our DBs are not bad...thin but not bad. If we get honest pressure from 3or4 that will make HUGE swings on D. Also we can be more aggressive and cause T.Os

You just described my biggest complaint in the UNC game. I watched UNC send 4 guys all day and get to and fluster Brady repeatedly, allowing them to cover with 7 and causing Brady to have to check down and NEVER look downfield. Meanwhile we'd send 5-7 and never seem to get there in time.

find myself agreeing a lot on this thread....either these things at true or we all sure think they are...az.grizfan is right on here,,,,we thought we had better personnel on the defensive line than we actually did....that is why I like what stitt did, in going out and getting the immediate help there, I think it will pay huge dividends this year.

mtgrizfankb said:
The griz had an issue last year with the fact teams would have 6 lineman in to block and often a back to help. This meant we had to bring 6 or 7 guys to get pressure. This left DBs on islands for Lon periods and if a runner got past that initial front they had room to make people miss. It's very hard as a DB to come off a WR to make a play on a RB that is in open field at full speed. I think with the D line additions we will be able to send less 6-7 fronts and this will help tremendous on long downs. Our DBs are not bad...thin but not bad. If we get honest pressure from 3or4 that will make HUGE swings on D. Also we can be more aggressive and cause T.Os I think this schedule says success for stitt. He gets the shootouts at home and that is a big deal. The WSU and PSU games are looking like those road ?s we see all the time. I bet we drop one of those and atleast one at home(EWU or NAU). I don't think MSU will be good and I see us winning that game. So 8-3 is my realistic pick and 9-2 is my hopeful pick. EWU and NAU are very very winnable at home. NAU is always up and down and EWU has a few new coaches and that can cause a lack of stability even though they have a lot of talent. No. Dak can be solid but I don't see them putting together another big season. i see a ton of ?s in the bigsky this year and I think you will not see a team dominate the sky like in the past

You buried the lead here. If you see a team is max-protecting, should you be able to adapt your strategy to compensate? Like maybe being able to execute on a zone defense? Continuing to do what you've always done and expecting... it's time to lay off the DB's, because they were put in tough spots most every down, and not because they were makIng all kinds of unforced errors.

Thank god Cal Poly isn't on the schedule this year. I'm not sure I could handle another beat down by the triple option. [emoji23]

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Did Brady play against UNC last year?

GrizMusician said:
Thank god Cal Poly isn't on the schedule this year. I'm not sure I could handle another beat down by the triple option. [emoji23]

I think the team agrees - playing against the cutblocking schemes of these kinds of teams can put the wear and tear of two or three games on you.

AZGrizFan said:
(H) Valpo Sept 2nd (4-7)
(A) ISU Oct 7th (2-9)
(A) PSU Sept 30th (3-8)
(A) Weber Oct 30th (7-5)
(A) MSU Nov 18th (4-7)
(H) NAU Nov 4th (5-6)
(H) EWU Sept 23rd (12-2)

Not a ton of differences, but I'd put it this way. Probably giving msu too much credit.

I don't think this is possible...

Back