• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

youth on coaching staff

Mavman

First let me say I really like this staff that Stitt has put together so this is not a complaint.

I just was surprised by the lack of coaching experience on this staff.

Selle spent three years as math teacher and qb coach in billings Going into second year as College coach.

Ferriter 2yrs GA at unlv 3 years at ISU 2 at Mont

Hendricks 1yr GA at CSU 2years at Mines 2 at Mont

Schillinger 1 yr ST asst Nebraska 1yr at Mont

JB Hall 2yrs GA colorado 2yrs at Montana

I think these guys can be great coaches they just seem very green as a whole. I hope the team is very successful this year so these gentleman can continue to grow at the UofM.
How much if any did this inexperience on the staff effect last years performance??
Please correct any incorrect information.

I think its reasonable to think that lack of coaching experience would play some role, however I think that group of young guys is incredibly smart, and they will learn very quickly.

If they can stick together for a couple years, it could be a phenomenal staff.

I agree badlands that this could be a great staff, which is one reason I disagree with some who are calling for a coaching change.

Good topic, one that's crossed my mind a couple times as well. Generally I agree with you.

After seeing Swett get shown the door, it's good to know that Stitt is willing to make the hard decisions to part ways with position coaches when things aren't working out. I think this next year is going to be a big year for Hendricks and his defensive line....last year we had a great lineup on paper, but they didn't really dominate the way we expected them to. Similar talent this year...gotta see improvements or else he could be on the hot seat.

One thing I do like is that Stitt is getting these younger guys great coaching experience at Montana while they are young. Shann, Selle, Troxel, and Ferriter are all guys that I could see being coordinators or head coaches for the Griz during their careers. The fact that they are getting this experience this early is fantastic...and Stitts investment in them is a testament to his commitment to the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Semore too.
Is young or should be on the hotseat?

Both.

Is he ever going to get to the part about "cold & loud." Not sure the group hug strategy on defense is his best play right now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/coachjsemore/status/832233468318806018[/tweet]

bgbigdog said:
Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Semore too.

Both.

Is he ever going to get to the part about "cold & loud." Not sure the group hug strategy on defense is his best play right now.

I'm confused Bigdog, are the Borg pro-Griz now?

Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Semore too.

Both.

Borg2.jpg

Thanks for ratting me out. Bastard.

bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Mavman said:

Both.

Borg2.jpg

Thanks for ratting me out. Bastard.
Many of us have long suspected this. :coffee:

Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Semore too.

Just young for me. He has some experience, of course. Not a rookie. Highly regarded by Stitt. I still think he has nice potential, but didn't expect him to be a superstar last year and he wasn't.

"Coach Jason Semore is a defensive graduate assistant at Oklahoma State University.

Coach, we know you have been a lot of places in a variety of different roles. Tell us a little bit of your background and how you ended up at Oklahoma State.

I started as a high defensive coordinator in Arizona working for my father, who was a long time head coach in the state (now retired), at Round Valley High School. I got lucky and made the move to college when my former coach at Adams State University (Marty Heaton) got the defensive coordinator job at Colorado School of Mines. Coach Heaton called and asked me to coach the defensive backs and I was hired by Coach Bob Stitt.

After one season Coach Heaton got the head coach job back at Adams State and thought highly enough of me to take me with him to my alma mater. After a few years I worked my way up to co-defensive coordinator/special teams coordinator.

This business is all about relationships and while I was coaching at Mines I worked with another young coach and Tulsa alum, Clint Rountree; the current director of high school relations at the University of Tulsa. We became good friends over the years and he ended up going back to Tulsa in 2010 and stood on the table on my behalf to get me a graduate assistant job for Coach Todd Graham. My wife and I decided to sacrifice money in the short term to make the move to Division 1. I was at Tulsa for a couple years and worked with some awesome coaches, including Van Malone, who ended up taking the secondary job here at OSU. Coach Malone called me soon after taking the job at OSU and asked me if I wanted to follow him… and the rest is history."

Interesting that DL and CB who took much heat this past season were headed up by two of the least experienced. Seems the offensive side of the ball has a little more experience with Stitt and Germer to name a couple.

Mavman said:
Interesting that DL and CB who took much heat this past season were headed up by two of the least experienced. Seems the offensive side of the ball has a little more experience with Stitt and Germer to name a couple.

Not sure DL took as much heat as OB, OL and, of course, ST's. Lots of room for improvement in virtually all parts of the team excepting LB's and WR's IMHO. Oh, let's not forget that we need to improve our 2nd half adjustments.

Other than that - everything was peachy keen! :D

This is a good discussion. Nothing wrong with our coaches but it makes me think back about what we had with Read and Dennehy - really talented and experienced coaches.

So, are some of you saying our coaches are nice guys, but don't have the knowledge to teach our young student athletes?

Mavman said:
First let me say I really like this staff that Stitt has put together so this is not a complaint.

I just was surprised by the lack of coaching experience on this staff.

Selle spent three years as math teacher and qb coach in billings Going into second year as College coach.

Ferriter 2yrs GA at unlv 3 years at ISU 2 at Mont

Hendricks 1yr GA at CSU 2years at Mines 2 at Mont

Schillinger 1 yr ST asst Nebraska 1yr at Mont

JB Hall 2yrs GA colorado 2yrs at Montana

I think these guys can be great coaches they just seem very green as a whole. I hope the team is very successful this year so these gentleman can continue to grow at the UofM.
How much if any did this inexperience on the staff effect last years performance??
Please correct any incorrect information.
Shann also had a year at Dickinson State

Spanky said:
So, are some of you saying our coaches are nice guys, but don't have the knowledge to teach our young student athletes?
I think it's been wildly inconsistent and that is partially due to a lack of experience. However, having a fun and young staff helped us sign that monster recruiting class last year.

I'm hoping to see more consistency this year, thus a bit of a jump up the learning curve for the younger coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back