• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Comparing ADs

NativeGriz

Looking only at BB and FB records. I dont have time to break down budget control, legit arrests, GPAs and who sucked up to RE better etc, but based on records alone, we have slipped everywhere, especially FB. I am not going to analyse it beyond that, but I am curious to hear other's thoughts.
O'day: FB 77-17, 81% - MBB 140-77 65% - WBB 150-66 70%
Haslam: FB 38-24, 62% - MBB 97-57 63% - WBB 96-60 62%

Griz til I die said:
It's not too bad. We just got to give it time. I think it's going to be a big year for grizzly athletics next year.

Is this 2017-2018 season you refer too?

I'll take a quick stab. There are so many variables you're leaving out. In regards to football, I'll beat the same drum I've been beating. NCAA SANCTIONS. Why in god's name do people think UM should be different than other programs who have gone through an NCAA sanction period? Miami, slipped, Penn State, slipped, Alabama, slipped, USC, slipped, Oklahoma, slipped. Why in the hell should UM be exempt somehow from NCAA sanction hurting the football program? The answer is, it's NOT. The NCAA probation is officially over last month. Now, let's see what happens. If, in two years, things aren't trending back up, then I'll start to really worry.

Basketball, the men don't have a real big this season. They'll have three of them next year. If the Griz are terrible next year, then I'll worry. The women are going through a season in which their two best players blew out their knees, and, the only person in charge of the program for over 30 years retired. If the Lady Griz lose 20 games next year, then I'll worry.

I know, I know, variables, who cares right? The only thing thing anyone cares about is W's right?

NativeGriz said:
Looking only at BB and FB records. I dont have time to break down budget control, legit arrests, GPAs and who sucked up to RE better etc, but based on records alone, we have slipped everywhere, especially FB. I am not going to analyse it beyond that, but I am curious to hear other's thoughts.

And the comparison as to facilities upgrades is?.............

maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:

Some projects completed under H were started under O. If not mistaken, O's relationship with Washingtons had a lot to do with that money coming in. Last stadium addition was done under O. I know there was a budget surplus under O.
Great points GF.
I hope you are right Griz till I die.

NativeGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:

Some projects completed under H were started under O. If not mistaken, O's relationship with Washingtons had a lot to do with that money coming in. Last stadium addition was done under O. I know there was a budget surplus under O.
Great points GF.

Academic Center--Haslem
Champions Center--Halsem
New Turf--Haslem
New Washington Griz Scoreboard--Haslem
New Adams Center Scoreboard (by next season)--Haslem
Upgraded visiting team and refs locker facilities--Haslem
Scheduled new BB floor in Adams Center--Haslem
Scheduled upgraded home basketball team locker rooms--Haslem
Scheduled basketball teams lounge--Haslem

maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:

Great points GF.

Academic Center--Haslem
Champions Center--Halsem
New Turf--Haslem

You could add softball program and softball field as well.

That said, Montana has been fortunate to have a number of great ADs. Kent certainly falls into that category, and he may -- if we can retain him long enough -- turn out to be the best in school history.

What I have liked about Kent Haslam is that he takes the time to promptly and courteously return emails and personal queries. It's a nice touch. When other University admins are unreachable or inaccessible to the common fan, the fact that he takes the time to respond and does so promptly is amazing. He really can connect to the fans and alums.

maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:

Great points GF.

Academic Center--Haslem
Champions Center--Halsem
New Turf--Haslem

Remember that one time when ODay inherited a $1Million defect from Hogan. All he did was get them out of that, and plus some, updated Wa-Griz three times, refurbished the seating in Dahlberg even though less seating now, started women softball, president of football selection committee,etc. Probably other things I can't remember.

George Ferguson said:
I'll take a quick stab. There are so many variables you're leaving out. In regards to football, I'll beat the same drum I've been beating. NCAA SANCTIONS. Why in god's name do people think UM should be different than other programs who have gone through an NCAA sanction period? Miami, slipped, Penn State, slipped, Alabama, slipped, USC, slipped, Oklahoma, slipped. Why in the hell should UM be exempt somehow from NCAA sanction hurting the football program? The answer is, it's NOT. The NCAA probation is officially over last month. Now, let's see what happens. If, in two years, things aren't trending back up, then I'll start to really worry.

Basketball, the men don't have a real big this season. They'll have three of them next year. If the Griz are terrible next year, then I'll worry. The women are going through a season in which their two best players blew out their knees, and, the only person in charge of the program for over 30 years retired. If the Lady Griz lose 20 games next year, then I'll worry.

I know, I know, variables, who cares right? The only thing thing anyone cares about is W's right?

Being down a few schollies, of course, didn't help, but I wouldn't rate ncaa sanctions in the top 5 of reasons that UM football has declined. All or most of those other schools you mentioned are much more severe sanctions that UM did. Apples to oranges. I agree on men's and women's basketball. I still thing the men's team could make a run.

maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:

Great points GF.

Academic Center--Haslem
Champions Center--Halsem
New Turf--Haslem

Maybe Haslem should have focused more on wins. That's much more important to most fans. Other than the champions center and the related locker room upgrades, I could care less about the other stuff. As for turf, Haslem is hardly the first AD who got new turf.

EverettGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
NativeGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
Great points GF.

Academic Center--Haslem
Champions Center--Halsem
New Turf--Haslem

You could add softball program and softball field as well.

That said, Montana has been fortunate to have a number of great ADs. Kent certainly falls into that category, and he may -- if we can retain him long enough -- turn out to be the best in school history.

Haslem has a lot of eggs riding in the football coach basketball. The biggest thing he has done so far (discounting things that somewhat fell into his lap or were no-brainers) was to hire the new football coach.

jodcon said:
AZGrizFan said:
Man, facts are a pesky thing.

Yeah but there's usually more between the lines that we're not smart enough to understand.

So I hear.

:coffee:

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

POTY candidate. Subtle. Yet direct and to the point.

PlayerRep said:
George Ferguson said:

Being down a few schollies, of course, didn't help, but I wouldn't rate ncaa sanctions in the top 5 of reasons that UM football has declined. All or most of those other schools you mentioned are much more severe sanctions that UM did. Apples to oranges. I agree on men's and women's basketball. I still thing the men's team could make a run.

Well I'd love to hear your top 5 reasons then.

Donations and plans and realization -- and the impetus for them -- have long cycle times. Haslam had the good fortune to be AD during a time of the culmination of many projects. Jim O'Day would have been perhaps the more deserving of credit as many of the conversations began on his watch, including the important early consultations with donors. On the other hand, he also hired Haslam, and deserves credit for that, as Haslam deserves to be recognized as, in O'Day's eyes, a good staff hire. It spared Engstrom the agonizing and possibly paralyzing ordeal of yet another "decision."

The "projects" are generally the result of program momentum; that's very long-term, as Eastern discovered with its "Gateway" project. They thought "big," but there was no wind in the sail. UM has had plenty, thanks to a series of very good ADs.

However, Haslam has managed the expansions magnificently. He is a very good "manager." However, the individual ADs are appropriately judged more specifically on their coach hires. That's an intangible judgment skill. Next year is when "other" judgments will begin to be made on that record. And he did not take this year's Football showing lightly.

Back