• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trumaine just became the highest paid CB in the NFL

BDizzle

DONOR
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18797269/los-angeles-rams-use-franchise-tag-trumaine-johnson-second-year-row

Pretty impressive for a guy playing for a small college in MT. Get that money!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
We need to start finding Trumaine Johnsons' again to play for this program!

I'd rather try and strike gold with the Montana kids, its HARD and rare for a Trumaine to fall to us and not get scooped up by the bigger schools

The_Real_Chief said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I'd rather try and strike gold with the Montana kids, its HARD and rare for a Trumaine to fall to us and not get scooped up by the bigger schools

.....I hope....they strike gold.....period.....

Good for Tru. And in the winter after the taser incident, I believe, Engstrom wanted UM to disassociate with him and not allow him to use the weight room and athletic facilities. Engstrom was pushing O'Day to do this, I believe. Tru always thought and told the UM coaches that he was a Pac-12 player, and that's why he held out so long before committing to UM.

The_Real_Chief said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Your "rather" is your privilege; I'd rather be competitive in DI football. What's HARD and rare is finding Montana kids that can play at that level. The idea that you can be competitive in DI football with mostly MT kids is naïve. Even the NAIA programs use a lot of out-of-state players. Just about every FCS program lives off the leavings of the FBS programs.

Great post Kem. Beat me to it.

The naivety that surrounds this subject is my biggest pet-peeve with Griz fans.

……..well, that and the weather nonsense. ;)

kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Your "rather" is your privilege; I'd rather be competitive in DI football. What's HARD and rare is finding Montana kids that can play at that level. The idea that you can be competitive in DI football with mostly MT kids is naïve. Even the NAIA programs use a lot of out-of-state players. Just about every FCS program lives off the leavings of the FBS programs.

Yup.....

...a recruiting tool...
...if there ever was one...
...the taser deal still pisses me...

... :bs: ...

Common ground. I don't care where they come from. I don't care what color they are. I don't care about anything other than a) are they good people b) can they handle studies and football simultaneously and c) can they ball. If so, they're fine as a Griz in my book.

kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Look no farther than NoDak St. Their five titles were most certainly not built on the backs (or bellies) of NoDak natives.

Damn, $30mill in two years - nice work Tru.

4ec894f9f3cc7.preview-300.jpg

Let's hope Tru remembers the school that helped him get to BIG MONEY (ala EWU and Michael Roos). Hopefully someday he'll peel a little off of the bank roll to help the Griz. Would really like to hear the sound of the "TJ stadium expansion" announced.

Grisly Fan said:
Let's hope Tru remembers the school that helped him get to BIG MONEY (ala EWU and Michael Roos). Hopefully someday he'll peel a little off of the bank roll to help the Griz. Would really like to hear the sound of the "TJ stadium expansion" announced.

You remember what Roos did for ewoo

As a Rams fan, I am very happy for now. We'll see if they can come to a long term deal. Tru is a very good NFL player that should get even better if he can stay injury free.....

Amazing! Think about this: I am pretty sure that current or former NFL DBs Johnson, Anderson, Wilson, and Schillinger all played DB for the Griz during the same year. (At least one year). I assume one of the historians here may be able to verify.

speth said:
Amazing! Think about this: I am pretty sure that current or former NFL DBs Johnson, Anderson, Wilson, and Schillinger all played DB for the Griz during the same year. (At least one year). I assume one of the historians here may be able to verify.

No, Jimmy came back for Pflu's first year of 2010. Colt was gone after the 2008 national championship game. Shann was done after 2009 chipper. In an interesting twist though, I'm not sure Tru would have started as a corner at UM had it not been for what happened to Jimmy. Tru was actually still listed as a WR on the 2008 fall prospectus that came out that August. Another sidenote from that situation, Marc was as actually going to be moved to CB that fall camp, but they made the great move to put Tru there instead. I think MM would have made a good corner, but, his career would have turned out a lot differently had that all actually went down.

The 2008 roster included Anderson Johnson and Schillinger. They all started that year. Wilson played in 2006 when Anderson and Schill were on team and he returned in 2010.

George Ferguson said:
kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Yup.....

I respectfully disagree, lets look at ex griz players in the NFL and where they are from. Colt Anderson, Dan Carpenter, Brock Coyle, Marc Mariani, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Tripp all Montana boys. Tru, Holmes, and Jimmy Wilson non Montana guys.so many guys from our state have two things that get overlooked by other teams. They don't have the national exposure, so they aren't on anyone's radar and secondly they have a chip on their shoulder the second they get to Missoula. Not to mention the above mentioned Montana kids were all model citizens and have done an EXCELLENT job representing our program and state. Not to mention they are excellent role models for other kids coming up in Montana football as an example of hard work dedication and grit can get you to the NFL no matter if you play football in Drummond or Missoula. I'm not meaning this as a knock on Tru, Holmes, and Jimmy they obviously took an opportunity at Montana and made something of it as well, but it just seems over time a majority of our program's best players have been instate talent and I get that we can't just have a team full of local kids, that wouldn't work. But I think the secret sauce to Montana's success is finding those instate kids with a chip on their shoulder and understand the history and tradition of Montana football sprinkled in with a few out of state guys that will learn this when they arrive is what we need. Congrats to Tru for his contract and continued success in the NFL though, this is a great recruiting tool for us and I hope to see Tru come back to Missoula and give back to our young Montana football players and be someone for them to look up too.

Back