• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 SPRING SCRIMMAGE -- APRIL 22 -- BUTTE

IntuitiveGriz

DONOR
Griz%20Scrimmage.jpg

The 2017 University of Montana Grizzly Football Spring Game sponsored by Northwestern Mutual will take place on Saturday, April 22 at 1:00 pm in Butte, Montana, at historic Naranche Stadium.
An 11:00 am tailgate party hosted by the Butte Chapter of the Grizzly Scholarship Association (GSA) will take place near the northwest entrance of the stadium on E. Silver St. Beverages will be available, and food vendors selling Butte specialties will be on hand for the 2-hour pre-game tailgate.

The Mining City is hosting the spring game for the first time since 2010.

A Griz gathering featuring staff members from the Montana Athletic Department will kick off the weekend’s festivities on Friday, April 21 at 6 pm at the McQueen Club (3250 Hecla St.). All Griz fans are invited to attend, and there will be a no-host bar. Raffle and spring game tickets will be available for purchase.

Tickets for the spring game are now on sale. Cost to attend is $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12. Tickets are available for purchase in Butte at Universal Athletic or by calling Moose Petritz at 406-490-8882. You can also buy tickets in Missoula at the Adams Center Box Office, by phone at 1-888-MONTANA or online at www.griztix.com.

Proceeds from the game benefit the Grizzly Scholarship Association’s primary mission to raise scholarship funds for student-athletes, to assist the Athletic Department with fundraising activities and to actively promote interest and awareness of all Intercollegiate Athletic sports programs.

Thank you Griz for coming to Butte! And thank you to any fan that makes the trip. The town is a buzz for this event, we can't wait. It's going to be a great day to be a Griz!

I was disappointed it was in Missoula last year. Butte and Helena are easy day drives for a game. I'll be there. I really enjoyed the scrimmage in Helena to see the first Stitt spring. Perhaps I may or may not have Cat gear on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That is a great poster of the Butte coaching legends. I recognize all of them except the person to the right of Bob Petrino. Can someone help me out?

For those that haven't seen it, you're going to love the new Naranche. It's a really nice venue for a high school and a great new field.

maroon said:
That is a great poster of the Butte coaching legends. I recognize all of them except the person to the right of Bob Petrino. Can someone help me out?

Bob Obilovic????

...played in a golf tournament in butte...
...first place..was a weekend in anaconda...
...second place...two weekends in anaconda...

... :shock: ...

IntuitiveGriz said:
Thank you Griz for coming to Butte! And thank you to any fan that makes the trip. The town is a buzz for this event, we can't wait. It's going to be a great day to be a Griz!

WILL be there.

Allezchat said:
I was disappointed it was in Missoula last year. Butte and Helena are easy day drives for a game. I'll be there. I really enjoyed the scrimmage in Helena to see the first Stitt spring. Perhaps I may or may not have Cat gear on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FTC

For those not real familiar with Butte:

The Griz social will be held Friday, April 21 at 6 pm at the McQueen Athletic Club (since 1919), 3250 Hecla St. (Intersection of Hecla and Continental Drive). It's a fun neighborhood bar and hall. Has outside volleyball area. This is sure to be a good time for everyone.

Stay the night, Butte has some new hotels for your comfort. I highly recommend, if it opens in time, staying at the soon to be re-opened (multi-million dollar total building renovation) Copper King Hotel and Convention Center, 4655 Harrison Ave, out south by the Bert Mooney Airport (which is also under new construction). This hotel will be one of the nicest in the state. It is set to open, "Spring 2017". I drove by today, it is looking like it possibly will be finished in time. There is a banner saying, "Now Hiring" outside as well, so there is that. ha There is a brand new Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott, 2340 Cornell Ave (couple blocks off Harrison Ave). And a couple years old is the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, 2609 Harriosn Ave. Also recently renovated was the La Quinta Inn and Suites, 1 Holiday Park Dr (just off Harrison Ave and near the Fairfield). The Hampton is a good choice as well, 3499 Harrison Ave (good location for nearby restaurants). The Super 8 is a well kept motel, I know the owners, they win a lot of company awards, it is located 2929 Harrison Ave.

The 11:00 Tailgate will take place, in the festival city, near the northwest entrance of the stadium on E. Silver St (corner of Main and E. Silver St). The stadium sits directly on the north side of Butte High. Beverages will be available, and food vendors selling Butte specialties will be on hand for the 2-hour pre-game tailgate. There is some seating to eat (tables with bench seating/picnic table style) just inside this particular stadium entrance.

The 1:00 kickoff will be somewhat historical. The Griz/cat game used to be played in Butte, at Clark Park (named after a Copper King) and also at Naranche Stadium (named after Butte High Griz RB Hall of Famer and WW!! hero Eso Naranche). This will be the first time the Griz have played in the renovated stadium and new turf. The Griz played in Butte in 2010, but the renovated stadium opened in 2011. And the artificial turf is new from last year. This is a nice article from the Billings Gazette on Naranche, with pics: http://bit.ly/2o66k9u

Hot spots after the scrimmage will be just a couple/few blocks north on Main St. The Metals Sports Bar and Grill, 8 W. Park St...corner of Main and Park...kitty corner from the new Northwest Energy headquarters. This is where the visiting team (Griz or cat) bus stops every year to eat on the way to the Brawl of the Wild. They also check out Naranche Stadium for history sake. The famous M&M Cigar Store (Bar and Grill), 9 S. Main St...facing Northwest Energy. The Vu Villa Bar and Pizza, 521 W. Park St...a few blocks short of MT Tech...formerly owned by Mick Delaney and his brother Charlie. If you are looking for a nice brewery, I recommend Butte Brewery, 465 E. Galena. And if you are looking for a distillery, Headframe Spirits makes awesome drinks...21 s Montana St...in up town Butte, not far from the scrimmage. This place won Entrepreneur of the Year by the State of Montana this past year. John McKee, the owner along with his wife, has an interesting back story,

As far as eating uptown, if you are looking forward to fine dining and/or great cocktails (they also make a mean burger) in a nice environment, I recommend Park 217, located at 217 W. Park St. It has a wine bar upstairs, Fred's Mesquite Grill (steaks, ribs, seafood), 205 Arizona St, in uptown. Sparky's Garage Bar and Grill (BBQ and Burgers), 222 E. Park St. For Asian I recommend SOHO Asian Cuisine, 60 E. Broadway St. (on the 2nd floor). Directly below it is the Acoma Lounge, good atmosphere with booth seating tables.

Downtown recommendations: Chef's Garden (awesome Italian), 1201 S. Montana St. The newer Mackenzie River Pizza Grill and Pub, 3450 Monroe (1 block off Harrison). Montana Club Restaurant and Bar, 3450 Harrison Ave. Silver Bow Pizza Parlor (game room) just finishing renovations, 3500 Harrison Ave. Pizza Ranch (new and has a buffet including chicken and mashed portatoes and game room), 3541 Harrison Ave. Buffalo Wild Wings, 3745 Harrison Ave. El Taco, 2300 Harrison Ave. Pork Chop Johns, 2400 Harrison Ave. And a great local sandwich shop called Paul Bunyan's, 3150 Busch St. (1 block off Harrison Ave).

Do tickets have to be bought in advance or will I be able to buy tickets at the stadium, day of the game?

IntuitiveGriz said:
For those not real familiar with Butte:

The Griz social will be held Friday, April 21 at 6 pm at the McQueen Athletic Club (since 1919), 3250 Hecla St. (Intersection of Hecla and Continental Drive). It's a fun neighborhood bar and hall. Has outside volleyball area. This is sure to be a good time for everyone.

Stay the night, Butte has some new hotels for your comfort. I highly recommend, if it opens in time, staying at the soon to be re-opened (multi-million dollar total building renovation) Copper King Hotel and Convention Center, 4655 Harrison Ave, out south by the Bert Mooney Airport (which is also under new construction). This hotel will be one of the nicest in the state. It is set to open, "Spring 2017". I drove by today, it is looking like it possibly will be finished in time. There is a banner saying, "Now Hiring" outside as well, so there is that. ha There is a brand new Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott, 2340 Cornell Ave (couple blocks off Harrison Ave). And a couple years old is the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, 2609 Harriosn Ave. Also recently renovated was the La Quinta Inn and Suites, 1 Holiday Park Dr (just off Harrison Ave and near the Fairfield). The Hampton is a good choice as well, 3499 Harrison Ave (good location for nearby restaurants). The Super 8 is a well kept motel, I know the owners, they win a lot of company awards, it is located 2929 Harrison Ave.

The 11:00 Tailgate will take place, in the festival city, near the northwest entrance of the stadium on E. Silver St (corner of Main and E. Silver St). The stadium sits directly on the north side of Butte High. Beverages will be available, and food vendors selling Butte specialties will be on hand for the 2-hour pre-game tailgate. There is some seating to eat (tables with bench seating/picnic table style) just inside this particular stadium entrance.

The 1:00 kickoff will be somewhat historical. The Griz/cat game used to be played in Butte, at Clark Park (named after a Copper King) and also at Naranche Stadium (named after Butte High Griz RB Hall of Famer and WW!! hero Eso Naranche). This will be the first time the Griz have played in the renovated stadium and new turf. The Griz played in Butte in 2010, but the renovated stadium opened in 2011. And the artificial turf is new from last year. This is a nice article from the Billings Gazette on Naranche, with pics: http://bit.ly/2o66k9u

Hot spots after the scrimmage will be just a couple/few blocks north on Main St. The Metals Sports Bar and Grill, 8 W. Park St...corner of Main and Park...kitty corner from the new Northwest Energy headquarters. This is where the visiting team (Griz or cat) bus stops every year to eat on the way to the Brawl of the Wild. They also check out Naranche Stadium for history sake. The famous M&M Cigar Store (Bar and Grill), 9 S. Main St...facing Northwest Energy. The Vu Villa Bar and Pizza, 521 W. Park St...a few blocks short of MT Tech...formerly owned by Mick Delaney and his brother Charlie. If you are looking for a nice brewery, I recommend Butte Brewery, 465 E. Galena. And if you are looking for a distillery, Headframe Spirits makes awesome drinks...21 s Montana St...in up town Butte, not far from the scrimmage. This place won Entrepreneur of the Year by the State of Montana this past year. John McKee, the owner along with his wife, has an interesting back story,

As far as eating uptown, if you are looking forward to fine dining and/or great cocktails (they also make a mean burger) in a nice environment, I recommend Park 217, located at 217 W. Park St. It has a wine bar upstairs, Fred's Mesquite Grill (steaks, ribs, seafood), 205 Arizona St, in uptown. Sparky's Garage Bar and Grill (BBQ and Burgers), 222 E. Park St. For Asian I recommend SOHO Asian Cuisine, 60 E. Broadway St. (on the 2nd floor). Directly below it is the Acoma Lounge, good atmosphere with booth seating tables.

Downtown recommendations: Chef's Garden (awesome Italian), 1201 S. Montana St. The newer Mackenzie River Pizza Grill and Pub, 3450 Monroe (1 block off Harrison). Montana Club Restaurant and Bar, 3450 Harrison Ave. Silver Bow Pizza Parlor (game room) just finishing renovations, 3500 Harrison Ave. Pizza Ranch (new and has a buffet including chicken and mashed portatoes and game room), 3541 Harrison Ave. Buffalo Wild Wings, 3745 Harrison Ave. El Taco, 2300 Harrison Ave. Pork Chop Johns, 2400 Harrison Ave. And a great local sandwich shop called Paul Bunyan's, 3150 Busch St. (1 block off Harrison Ave).

The Butte Chamber of Commerce needs to hire you. An excellent report of what Butte has to offer.

Back