• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UND 2017 season

Griz til I die

DONOR
Well I'm going camping this weekend and won't have any service so I'll post this tonight. IMHO UND is the most overrated team in the big sky. They played no one good in the big sky last year and that's why they won it. There two regular season losses last year were against Stony Brook (didn't make the playoffs) and Bowling Green (didn't make a bowl game), and they proved they weren't that good when they got bounced in the second round of the playoffs to Richmond who got demolished by Eastern in their next game. That being said though, UND returns almost their entire offense including all American running backs John Santiago and Brady Olivera, but they'll have a completely new look on defense after graduating a lot of guys and I've never really thought their defense is much.
@ Utah- L
VS. Missouri State- L
@ South Dakota- W
VS. MSU- W
@ UC Davis- W
VS. N. Colorado- W
@ Montana- L
VS. Sacramento State- W
@ Portland State- W
@ S. Utah- W
VS. Eastern- L
My prediction: 7-4. UND squeaks into the playoffs and gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs. That's my prediction. What do you guys think?

They have a transfer RB from he gophers who will be better than both those guys you mentioned. Yes, a tall order, but this kid is legit. A Fargo kid. Ran for 100+ in their spring scrimmage as a redshirt freshman. They will literally have a 3 headed dragon for running game.

HookedonGriz said:
They have a transfer RB from he gophers who will be better than both those guys you mentioned. Yes, a tall order, but this kid is legit. A Fargo kid. Ran for 100+ in their spring scrimmage as a redshirt freshman. They will literally have a 3 headed dragon for running game.

The transfer was a walkon who didn't have a single carry last fall, he definitely isn't better than Santiago, who ripped us in 2015. I don't think anyone can base anything off of a spring game as their basis on why he's so good. I do think they're a bit overrated, but they did beat Weber, who made the playoffs. They have two NFL prospects back on D.

Oredigger said:
HookedonGriz said:

The transfer was a walkon who didn't have a single carry last fall, he definitely isn't better than Santiago, who ripped us in 2015. I don't think anyone can base anything off of a spring game as their basis on why he's so good. I do think they're a bit overrated, but they did beat Weber, who made the playoffs. They have two NFL prospects back on D.
The transfer kid was a full ride scholarship offer from the gophers.

braves84 said:
Oredigger said:
HookedonGriz said:

The transfer kid was a full ride scholarship offer from the gophers.

Oh okay, no playing time as a scholarship kid then, even special teams. Beside the point I guess, I'm sure he'll bring something to ND.

Oredigger said:
HookedonGriz said:

Imagine that another swing and a miss from you. The kid was a full scholarship player with multiple offers to FBS schools. There's another huge difference in our observations...I've seen this kid play and he's a better player and runner than Santiago. If they use him right he will be the big sky newcomer of the year, wait-and-see.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/11/gophers-running-back-james-johannesson-to-transfer-to-north-dakota/

Yeah, imagine that. I'm sure he's a stud, but he couldn't even get on ST last fall, and he's not a smaller back. Maybe you don't know who Santiago is, had a pretty good freshman season when he was healthy. And, was still good last year banged up. Kentucky transfer at QB didn't even beat out BG, should always take that with a grain of salt until you see them where they go to. But, if you wanna base it off of a spring game, go right ahead. That does make a lot of sense, spring games are so accurate. Either way, I think he'll do well there. But my money isn't on him winning the job over the best back in the BS.

Oredigger said:
Yeah, imagine that. I'm sure he's a stud, but he couldn't even get on ST last fall, and he's not a smaller back. Maybe you don't know who Santiago is, had a pretty good freshman season when he was healthy. And, was still good last year banged up. Kentucky transfer at QB didn't even beat out BG, should always take that with a grain of salt until you see them where they go to. But, if you wanna base it off of a spring game, go right ahead. That does make a lot of sense, spring games are so accurate. Either way, I think he'll do well there. But my money isn't on him winning the job over the best back in the BS.

In other words, you saying oops I was wrong (as usual) is too hard for you. Try it sometime. It's okay to be wrong. Why would I trust anything you think when you've never seen him play (I have) and when you make blatant claims the he was a walk on (when he wasn't).

Oredigger said:
I heard their plan was to use Santiago more in space like a slot receiver along with kick returns and rb. duties with olivera and johannesson will be trouble for alot of bsc teams . They along with Weber State would have to be considered the early favorites, imo.

don't know about starting and all that for und,,,,,i will say I think he would make our team pretty easy at 6'1" and 230 pounds....considering his high school achievements ...we just do not get that big of a back from the big ten very often....

krammer said:
don't know about starting and all that for und,,,,,i will say I think he would make our team pretty easy at 6'1" and 230 pounds....considering his high school achievements ...we just do not get that big of a back from the big ten very often....

Agree. I'd love him here. 2 time Gatorade player of the year and rushed for 6200 yards in HS for a pretty legit Fargo South

I guess we can say they are overrated all we want but they return a ton of talent and this is Bubba's program now. Everyone is bought into his style and he's running a pretty good program right now. UND is believing they are the favorite this year as they should. And their QB isn't no slouch either. Their defense should be the best in the Big Sky too with what they have coming back.

VimSince03 said:
I guess we can say they are overrated all we want but they return a ton of talent and this is Bubba's program now. Everyone is bought into his style and he's running a pretty good program right now. UND is believing they are the favorite this year as they should. And their QB isn't no slouch either. Their defense should be the best in the Big Sky too with what they have coming back.
Their defense was terrible last season. I can't imagine their just gonna magically turn it around in one season.

Griz til I die said:
VimSince03 said:
Their defense was terrible last season. I can't imagine their just gonna magically turn it around in one season.

I imagine that would be hard because they had the #1 Scoring Defense and #2 Yards Per Game Defense in the league.... Now sure you can say that was just the Big Sky and they didn't play anybody tough but they are deep and talented at all three levels of defense. How can you say they were terrible last year?

VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
VimSince03 said:

I imagine that would be hard because they had the #1 Scoring Defense and #2 Yards Per Game Defense in the league.... Now sure you can say that was just the Big Sky and they didn't play anybody tough but they are deep and talented at all three levels of defense. How can you say they were terrible last year?
You can't, but for the 1,000th time you'll hear the "they didn't beat/play anbody" excuse.🙄🙄

VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
VimSince03 said:

Their defense was legit. Has been since bubba came on board. Getting better each year and may be best in Big Sky next season.

They lost a huge load of linebackers but still have a bunch returning so I'd be interested to see how that position group does this season.

HookedonGriz said:
Oredigger said:

In other words, you saying oops I was wrong (as usual) is too hard for you. Try it sometime. It's okay to be wrong. Why would I trust anything you think when you've never seen him play (I have) and when you make blatant claims the he was a walk on (when he wasn't).

That's good for you that you're that in the know about a kid who didn't make a dent in his two years for the Gophers, :clap: . I have not watched him, but I have watched Santiago, apparently you haven't. They probably can move him around with their depth now, but that kid has been special in his two years, he's their guy. Johannesson hasn't been special since HS. Not necessarily his fault, BCS teams miss on kids. Transfers aren't guaranteed anything just because they were good in HS, and in one spring game. Again, I'm sure he'll bring the Hawks something, though I don't know about "literally having a 3 headed dragon." That literally makes no literal sense, unless you're unaware what literally means. I will say the rankings defensively can be misleading. Look at where the Griz were last year on O and D. But UND should be at least 7-4. That QB is good, needs to stay healthy.

The OL will see the return of Elijah Grady this season, who missed last year, but had a sensational season as a freshman the year before. He is a big horse up front who will be plowing plenty of holes for Santiago, Oliveira, and Johanneson. Santiago didn't have the sophomore year because he didn't have Grady, who is an NFL prospect

Our running run should be stronger than ever, and will be the Pony Express of the Big Sky.

Griz til I die said:
IMHO UND is the most overrated team in the big sky. They played no one good in the big sky last year and that's why they won it.

North Dakota beat the top 5 teams in the conference behind UND/EWU. There was literally one good team that we didn't play.

Back