• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NEW VERBAL: ATH Garrett Graves- Eureka, MT

Paytonlives

Staff member
ATH- Garrett Graves 6'2" 190 (Eureka HS) Eureka, MT (T 6/26)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GarrettGraves4/status/879506056744808457[/tweet]

Solid get indeed. Definitely a top 6 or 7 state of MT player. Kid was a state champ football player and an undefeated state champ wrestler....who plays QB and Strong Safety. Definitely an athlete. Nice work and welcome to the Griz!

In my opinion, best fit is at outside linebacker in a Josh Buss type role. The kid is a fiery competitor. Great get for the Griz.

Some great info on him from AJ

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/eureka-s-ultra-versatile-garrett-graves-commits-to-montana-griz/article_d123fd43-9e45-5f1a-aa5a-169948c92f98.html

VimSince03 said:
In my opinion, best fit is at outside linebacker in a Josh Buss type role. The kid is a fiery competitor. Great get for the Griz.

I mostly agree with Vim!

I see him more as a strong safety, he has the speed to run with WRs from the deep safety position, but also is more than capable of rolling up and playing in the box. He's a stud for sure though

"He chose Montana over a similar offer from rival Montana State, which was also dangling a chance to play QB."

That's right! Suck it Bobcats! We are Montana!

VimSince03 said:
So is he going to play defense? I read an article were it said he was going to challenge to play QB right away.

SeattleBobcat said:
VimSince03 said:
So is he going to play defense? I read an article were it said he was going to challenge to play QB right away.

Well...sure they can say that. But Gresch Jensen and the newest verbal Matt Robinson are "the guys" at those positions for the foreseeable future in my opinion. Garrett has much more value on defense, especially at OLB or SS.

VimSince03 said:
SeattleBobcat said:
VimSince03 said:

Well...sure they can say that. But Gresch Jensen and the newest verbal Matt Robinson are "the guys" at those positions for the foreseeable future in my opinion. Garrett has much more value on defense, especially at OLB or SS.

Exactly, I mean the kid is a athlete. He is a good QB at the high school level right now, but he is definitely a defensive talent at the college level.

HowardRoss280 said:
VimSince03 said:
SeattleBobcat said:
VimSince03 said:

Exactly, I mean the kid is a athlete. He is a good QB at the high school level right now, but he is definitely a defensive talent at the college level.

For example, Troy Andersen was one of the best threats in the state at QB but it wasn't going to translate to playing QB in college. Much more value on defense. Plus, if you are a QB in high school and get labeled as an ATH as a recruit, it probably means college coaches aren't sold on your skillset at the QB position. Garrett made some big throws in 2016 with the biggest being his last one. But most of his highlights are big runs, broken plays where he finds receivers wide open, or on defense.

VimSince03 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
VimSince03 said:
SeattleBobcat said:

For example, Troy Andersen was one of the best threats in the state at QB but it wasn't going to translate to playing QB in college. Much more value on defense. Plus, if you are a QB in high school and get labeled as an ATH as a recruit, it probably means college coaches aren't sold on your skillset at the QB position. Garrett made some big throws in 2016 with the biggest being his last one. But most of his highlights are big runs, broken plays where he finds receivers wide open, or on defense.

Troy Anderson is a very good comparison. And yes, if you play QB but are being recruited as an ATH, it more than likely means you do something else better than play QB, and for Garrett, that is flying around on defense.

VimSince03 said:

Good eye, Vim. His best fit is absolutely OLB, without question. (Doesn't have SS speed) He'll be a BEAST, good looking kid!

IntuitiveGriz said:
VimSince03 said:

Good eye, Vim. His best fit is absolutely OLB, without question. (Doesn't have SS speed) He'll be a BEAST, good looking kid!

You can get away with a lack of speed at SS if you have great instincts. Garrett has great instincts which makes up for his lack of top-end speed. But I project him at OLB more because of his size and length. He has room to grow on top of his 6'3", 190 lb. frame. Buss is around 205-210 lbs. and plays fast. I see Garrett getting up to about that weight. Let him hang out around the line and make plays...and drop back into coverage with ease. You need versatile linebackers in the Big Sky.

IntuitiveGriz said:
VimSince03 said:

I think he could play SS. Yes, his speed might not be the best or flashy, but if he is playing 12 yards off the line of scrimmage he should be able to run with WR. Plus he would be a great roll down safety, strong enough and good enough tackler to play in the box and definitely enough speed to cover a RB when rolling down. I see why you think OLB don't get me wrong, I just think his frame fits safety more than linebacker. He can move though, so if he is at linebacker that's a huge advantage. I just see his playing weight around 200, I think that would be the best for him.

HowardRoss280 said:
VimSince03 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
VimSince03 said:

Troy Anderson is a very good comparison. And yes, if you play QB but are being recruited as an ATH, it more than likely means you do something else better than play QB, and for Garrett, that is flying around on defense.

I also see him as a defensive weapon. He is a great athlete who is tough as nails. Just think of the resiliency it takes to have an undefeated wrestling season. Another great Montana addition. 4 solid commits! I like what the staff is doing.

Grizrule16 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
VimSince03 said:
HowardRoss280 said:

I also see him as a defensive weapon. He is a great athlete who is tough as nails. Just think of the resiliency it takes to have an undefeated wrestling season. Another great Montana addition. 4 solid commits! I like what the staff is doing.

Yes. I love seeing Montana kids get the attention the deserve.

Back