• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch Jensen from my perspective

BWahlberg

DONOR
I'm still kind of numb about the loss of Phillips, I can't recall seeing an injury like that at home to such a vital leader and key part of the offense. And now for his third straight season Bob Stitt will have to rely on his once backup QB to take the helm and lead the team for the foreseeable future.

Based on what we're hearing Gresch is now the guy for 2017 and I'm reading some doom and gloom from posters here about it. Without a doubt this transition will have it's bumps and challenges, however I'm confident in him to be able to still help this team accomplish everything they hope to.

Watching Gresch and Reese in scrimmages and camps through the last two years as an observer, and especially this year, the talent and ability is there for Gresch. Jensen is probably a little bit better of a natural athlete/runner, as possibly evidenced with his option TD run yesterday. His arm strength is great, that's not an issue, and his accuracy isn't that much more different than Phillips. Pocket presence, Phillips is better now but that comes with more experience and confidence in his play. The biggest difference between the two (as I see it) is Phillips' leadership he built this year and the confidence in play that Phillips has shown. From most of us that have watched the three main Griz QBs this year it was generally agreed that Jensen has the highest ceiling of all three. Additionally it's been made aware to me many times that Jensen could be the best QB on the team when it comes to reading defenses after the snap and going through passing progressions.

Obviously being a younger guy with skills just about on par with the senior starter lead a lot of us to have great optimism for Jensen and his Griz career. And while it's starting a little earlier than some predicted, I believe we're in good hands with an incredibly talented (but young) QB. If you talk to Andrew Selle about Jensen he'll tell you about what a fast and adaptive learner Gresch is and how he's one of the most competitive guys on the team.

One story I heard from Selle last fall camp, when Gresch was brand new, was that even though Jensen wasn't getting reps for the backup job in full team drills he would pay careful attention each day. Then after most every practice Jensen would have a list of questions about the offense, audibles, reads, etc for Selle. It got to the point they'd set up times to review Jensen's observations and questions. Selle was blown away that a true frosh was working so hard to fully understand the complexity of the entire offense, where usually brand new guys are just trying to adapt and adjust to college/fall camp life.

The odds of a successful season have reduced, a team doesn't just rebound and excel when they lose the centerpiece of their offense, however I'm confident that Gresch can do some great things with this team. He's got a corps of incredibly talented WRs. A running game that appears to have two emerging threats with the stepped up play of Lee. And a senior-heavy offensive line that's probably the best group we've had in Stitt's era here.

As for the loss of leadership, Phillips will be with this team the whole way but in a new fashion. Additionally with the culture Stitt and his staff have built these guys all rely on each other and support each other. There is great leadership all through the ranks and this group is as close to a total family as I've ever seen. They'll rally around each other and use this adversity to drive them.

I think the type of leadership that Phillips seems to have developed can be nearly as effective from the sideline as well. I think he will help the team rally around each other. Phillips is going to turn in to one of those "what could have been" story lines in Griz Nation.

You and I have discussed the QBs ad nauseum and I have posted my thoughts on here so I won't rehash all of that. It is hard for me to explain, but I agree completely with the ceiling comment. He just needs reps. I honestly believe is Gresch had any olaying experience coming in to the season, he probably would have won the job. I feel terrible for Phillips and was looking forward to seeing what he would do this year, but I have a feeling Gresch is going to develop in to one of our great QBs.

Question for you Brint. I think this will fast track Toure and Akem emergence in this offense, as they came in together and undoubtedly have more reps throwing to each other because they red shirted together. You could tell he and Toure were on the same page with the 80 yard pass play from the one yard line. They both recognized it, signaled to each other and got it done. That isn't something an overmatched freshman does from his own endzone. Any thoughts on that?

grzz said:
Question for you Brint. I think this will fast track Toure and Akem emergence in this offense, as they came in together and undoubtedly have more reps throwing to each other because they red shirted together. You could tell he and Toure were on the same page with the 80 yard pass play from the one yard line. They both recognized it, signaled to each other and got it done. That isn't something an overmatched freshman does from his own endzone. Any thoughts on that?

Great observation and I agree. As we saw so far in this fall Phillips would mostly work with group 1A (Curran/Calhoun/JLM/Horner) and Jensen with group 1B (Akem/Corbin or Taylor/Toure/Simis or Bingham).

Jensen showed how he's dialed in with Toure for sure and I'd venture that in these early games and even in the scrimmages we'd see that Phillips was well connected with group 1A but would have some issues moving the ball with group 1B - probably wont be an issue with Jensen. Also if group 1A can help elevate Jensen's consistency we could see an offense that is actually more efficient than we've seen so far in fact.

The trick with Toure could be where he lines up as he and JLM share spots. But right now if you look at the stats those two are the stats leaders on the team with Curran right in there as well.

I agree we are in good hands for the future. It also appears the future is now. The one question I have with Gresch is his lack of emotion after the play. A big part of that was the bitter-sweet of being in that situation to have the success due to a gruesome injury to your leader. I do see the fire in his eyes pre and mid play though and I like that. His only bad throw on sat was one that Lamerille Taylor should have fought a lot harder for. Granted it was Savanna St and next week will be trial by fire. As PR pointed out last night, Bergquist was our last Fr starting QB and he went 4-4 in his 8 starts with losses to EWU, MSU, and Cal Po in the first rd the playoffs at WGS. Gresch definitely has a lot of talent around him and the EWoo game is at home so hopefully that will help. Next week will definitely be a better measuring stick to where Gresch is at though.

It wasn't that long ago that Jensen and Phillips were still neck and neck for the starting job. Phillips stood out in the end, he had the maturity and intangibles that showed on the field. Let's not forget that we have one hell of a capable freshman QB that's groomed to take the helm. I could see some growing pains for the offense the next couple weeks, but by the end of the season I think we see Jensen mature into a great QB. I hope Reese can be on the sidelines next weekend. This may be the beginning of a great coaching career for him.

Losing Phillips is a huge blow; you've got to be heartbroken for him. He appeared to be coming into his own & my opinion, was the kind of player who could put a team on his back when needed.

Unfortunately, this is what ushers in the Gresch Jensen era. The good news for his coaches & teammates is he's incredibly prepared & poised. I'm on record as saying he's the next great Griz QB, but I wish it could have been after Phillips got the run he worked so hard for.

My view is that Phillips, an SEC-recruited qb with a great arm, was going to have a truly great season for the Griz. So, that's where I start from. Not sure I agree with comments that Jensen has/had the highest ceiling comment. Don't know how that could be determined at this point of his career. Know he has nice potential and will be and become a more than adequate qb this fall, and perhaps better than that, but he doesn't have as good of a throwing arm as Phillips and his arm isn't as strong as Phillips (based on watching them throw long bases to a "bucket" after practices). Jensen is a better runner for sure. From being told this, and watching him, he has the intangible to be able to make good/big/tough plays. I wonder if the offense will evolve to be a bit more balanced, i.e. with more of a running game. Both running backs and Jensen.

Jaredkuehn said:
It wasn't that long ago that Jensen and Phillips were still neck and neck for the starting job. Phillips stood out in the end, he had the maturity and intangibles that showed on the field. Let's not forget that we have one hell of a capable freshman QB that's groomed to take the helm. I could see some growing pains for the offense the next couple weeks, but by the end of the season I think we see Jensen mature into a great QB. I hope Reese can be on the sidelines next weekend. This may be the beginning of a great coaching career for him.

Not so sure that Jensen and Phillips have been neck and neck since at least last spring. Maybe on the message board, but not in the coaches' minds, is my impression.

PlayerRep said:
Not sure I agree with comments that Jensen has/had the highest ceiling comment. Don't know how that could be determined at this point of his career.

It can't be determined because the point of the comment is it's a prediction. Highest ceiling means he still has a lot more potential to fulfill. Phillips being a Sr, had almost maxed his potential as a college QB. Gresch, being a RSFr and close to where Phillips is already, could have a much higher ceiling with 3+ more years to play as a college QB.

I hated this injury to Reese deeply, made me sick! However, I predicted months ago, Gresch would be the starter by game Four. I see amazing talent in this kid. His poise will standout to everyone very soon. He is a leader that will get the job done. I believe the Griz are in very good hands with Gresch behind center.

My concern now however, is who do we have behind Gresch? If something happens to him, I do not believe Hill can run this offense.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
Not sure I agree with comments that Jensen has/had the highest ceiling comment. Don't know how that could be determined at this point of his career.

It can't be determined because the point of the comment is it's a prediction. Highest ceiling means he still has a lot more potential to fulfill. Phillips being a Sr, had almost maxed his potential as a college QB. Gresch, being a RSFr and close to where Phillips is already, could have a much higher ceiling with 3+ more years to play as a college QB.

Agree to some extent, but not fully. Jensen will never have as good of a throwing arm as Phillips. Phillips was recruited by SEC schools out of high school; Jensen wasn't. Phillips never got on the field due a torn achilles injury and changing coaches (and perhaps also ability). I think he was going to reach a very high ceiling this year, based on what I had seen of him, especially in the first 3 games.

reinell30 said:
I hated this injury to Reese deeply, made me sick! However, I predicted months ago, Gresch would be the starter by game Four. I see amazing talent in this kid. His poise will standout to everyone very soon. He is a leader that will get the job done. I believe the Griz are in very good hands with Gresch behind center.

My concern now however, is who do we have behind Gresch? If something happens to him, I do not believe Hill can run this offense.

I actually am confident we would be fine if something happened to Gresch. Hill would just change how the offense is run, IMO. If we got to Hill, I would also know that Simis is still ready if needed.

PlayerRep said:
My view is that Phillips, an SEC-recruited qb with a great arm, was going to have a truly great season for the Griz. So, that's where I start from. Not sure I agree with comments that Jensen has/had the highest ceiling comment. Don't know how that could be determined at this point of his career. Know he has nice potential and will be and become a more than adequate qb this fall, and perhaps better than that, but he doesn't have as good of a throwing arm as Phillips and his arm isn't as strong as Phillips (based on watching them throw long bases to a "bucket" after practices). Jensen is a better runner for sure. From being told this, and watching him, he has the intangible to be able to make good/big/tough plays. I wonder if the offense will evolve to be a bit more balanced, i.e. with more of a running game. Both running backs and Jensen.

The running game comments are interesting to me. I personally would like to see a more balanced attack and I like what I have witnessed out of the backfield. I think Jensen could be very effective running the ball. I just worry about injuries. The Cants let Murray run way too much last year and he was damn lucky to not get hurt. You can't play and worry about getting injured, but I hope Jensen is mature enough to slide and end the play when needed. Go Griz

Phillips really impressed me and looked like senior qb/leader and possibly a great one. Tough to replace! Some people step into these situations embrace the adversity and rise to greatness. Jensen just might be one of those people. I am not ready to say we will lose games because of yesterdays sad events. Yet.

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Agree to some extent, but not fully. Jensen will never have as good of a throwing arm as Phillips. Phillips was recruited by SEC schools out of high school; Jensen wasn't. Phillips never got on the field due a torn achilles injury and changing coaches (and perhaps also ability). I think he was going to reach a very high ceiling this year, based on what I had seen of him, especially in the first 3 games.

Your first two points are debatable. You can't say Gresch will never have as good a throwing arm because mechanics can be taught. Also, Reese went to Kentucky, arguably they are SEC only thanks to the BBall team. He was also a very good high school QB (3 star) in the south. Gresch was a 3 star in the pacific NW and was going to Montana no matter what as long as he got the schollie. He committed very early and very well may have let other teams know to not waste their time on him. Also, to be fair, two of Reese's games were against Valpo and Savanna St, not exactly the cream of the crop. Granted, he did look fairly decent against UDub but that game was a wash from kickoff.

Yukon said:
reinell30 said:

I actually am confident we would be fine if something happened to Gresch. Hill would just change how the offense is run, IMO. If we got to Hill, I would also know that Simis is still ready if needed.

What about a worst-case scenario where Simis were to go down as well? Mike Ralston, perhaps?

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Yukon said:
reinell30 said:

What about a worst-case scenario where Simis were to go down as well? Mike Ralston, perhaps?

A a Redshirt would start over Simis... but if Simis goes down, why not Ralston? He has played virtually every other position for the Griz.

Back