• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UND Injuries

go96griz

I listened to the Tootell and Tatonka show on ESPN radio yesterday. Colter mentioned that 3 out of 4 of ND's linebackers are injured for the MSU game this weekend. He also mentioned that stud offensive lineman, Demon Taylor, is out. Colter went on to state that ND likes to apply pressure from all over the place so the linebacker injuries are a big deal. He also felt that not having Demon would have a big impact on their run game because he feels that Demon is one of the best guards in the conference. This all bodes very well for MSU this weekend. It may also explain why SD kicked ND's ass last weekend.

Colter's analysis and commentary has been absolutely incredible on this show! I encourage you to listen to it if you haven't.

Are we sure Colter isn't just trying to sway the "Pick-um" challenge so he can gain some ground?

Plus MSU brought last year's kicker, Gabe Peppenger of Missoula Sentinel, off redshirt, to kick FG's and extra points starting this weekend. Not surprising given the starter's dismal start.

Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
MSU is going to roll UND
God I hope not. Hopefully Murray goes back to his old ways and proves that second half of the SDSU game was just a fluke.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I've been telling you guys since the Spring that Murray has improved his passing game by leaps and bounds over last year - he finally hit his stride in the 2nd half of the SDSU game. BUT, he is going to see pressure like he's never seen on Saturday so that's a question mark in my mind on how well he's going to handle that.

poorgriz said:
Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
MSU is going to roll UND
God I hope not. Hopefully Murray goes back to his old ways and proves that second half of the SDSU game was just a fluke.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I've been telling you guys since the Spring that Murray has improved his passing game by leaps and bounds over last year - he finally hit his stride in the 2nd half of the SDSU game. BUT, he is going to see pressure like he's never seen on Saturday so that's a question mark in my mind on how well he's going to handle that.

Leaps and bounds a stretch. His WSU game was dismal and his first half of SDSU was just as bad. He missed a ton of open targets and the ball he got picked was an awful pass. I'm not convinced he's all that bobcat Nation hopes he is.

poorgriz said:
Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
MSU is going to roll UND

Seemed like the 2nd half of the SDSU game was his big awakening. If he plays like that this week they'll win big, especially considering how beat up UND is.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Griz til I die said:
BWahlberg said:
MSU is going to roll UND

Leaps and bounds a stretch. His WSU game was dismal and his first half of SDSU was just as bad. He missed a ton of open targets and the ball he got picked was an awful pass. I'm not convinced he's all that bobcat Nation hopes he is.

Right, definitely a learning curve there but watching him all Spring and through Fall camp you could tell he was getting close to putting it all together, and that was against our secondary which appear to be pretty damn good.

Cats should roll. As beat up as the und defense is Murray should be able to beat them with his feet.
How will cats do after their early bye-week ? have to be chomping at the bit to play and get a W.
How will UND bounce back after a BEATING?

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Right, definitely a learning curve there but watching him all Spring and through Fall camp you could tell he was getting close to putting it all together, and that was against our secondary which appear to be pretty damn good.

Don't get me wrong, I think you've got a good one and I like him. He has tremendous athleticism and seems to be really tough. He has already taken some big hits and has even played hurt a little bit is my understanding. So I have a lot of respect. I just think he has a looooooong ways to go in the passing game. A lot longer than many folks are willing to admit. I think Rovig is your QB and Murray finds a new role next year.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Don't get me wrong, I think you've got a good one and I like him. He has tremendous athleticism and seems to be really tough. He has already taken some big hits and has even played hurt a little bit is my understanding. So I have a lot of respect. I just think he has a looooooong ways to go in the passing game. A lot longer than many folks are willing to admit. I think Rovig is your QB and Murray finds a new role next year.

Bringing back Danarius is gonna be a huge move for MSU. Murray still has 2+ more years to learn and grow under his tutelage. We may have been making fun of him last year but we're gonna be celebrating when he graduates.

UND injuries:

MLB Conner O'Brien retired before the season because of head injuries. He started all 12 games last season at inside linebacker and served as one of UND's captains.

DB 19 Deion Harris (out for the season, torn achilles, All-American)

LB 44 Donnell Rodgers (out for the season, starting inside linebacker, broken leg)

OL 65 Demon Taylor (out indefinitely with wha appeared to be a serious knee injury during the South Dakota game. He is, in my opinion, the best offensive guard in the Big Sky)

LB 45 Cam Hunt (out indefinitely, not sure the injury but was starting inside linebacker next to Rodgers).

FB 42 Kyle Norberg (out indefinitely, not sure the injury, a key to UND's running game)

DB 29 Andre Randolph (out for the season, expected to back up sophomore Torrey Hunt at CB)

WR 23 Josh Seibel (out indefinitely, veteran wide receiver)

WR 20 Easton Erbes (out indefinitely, was going to struggle to get into the rotation)

DB 6 Evan Holm (questionable, Harris' replacement. If he can't go — and Grand Forks Herald beat writer Tom Miller told me on our podcast this morning that it's looking less likely — UND will go with true freshman Hayden Blubaugh)

OL 72 Mat Cox (questionable, two-year starter at right tackle, has underperformed according to Miller because of injuries)

OL 78 A.J. Stockwell (questionable, three-year starter at left tackle, like Cox has left something to be desired because of injuries)

WR 81 Luke Stanley (questionable)

UND is starting 6-1, 205-pound senior OLB Jake Disterhaupt and redshirt freshman walk-on Jake Rastas (6-2, 200 pounds) at inside linebacker. At best, those are UND's 5th and sixth-best options at ILB in their 3-4 defense. Their stud true freshman who was expected to play and provide relief for Rodgers, is out indefinitely as well.

The safety spot next to Big Sky Defensive MVP Cole Reyes has been a rotating door as well, which has hurt UND. The interior offensive line has not performed well either as UND has struggled to run the ball, which is their sole identity on offense.

All that plus the fact that UND's blitzing scheme has always struggled containing mobile quarterbacks if the QBs can get out on the edge and the matchup seems to favor Montana State.

I think Murray will go back to struggling passing the ball, and the Cats will STILL roll UND. The former Sioux are not a good offensive football team, and Reyes can't do it all by himself on defense. MSU isn't the only team that will roll UND in the next month.

Murray is more effective passing when he is out of the pocket and on the run. He's not a drop back passer. The key for the Cats is to get him out of the pocket, where he is a threat to pass better and certainly to run if there's an opening. UND needs to keep him from getting outside.

I think the Cats win too.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Did you see some of the throws he made against SDSU? Yes he's young (19) and he'll still make some mistakes but he can throw a mean deep ball.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Did you see some of the throws he made against SDSU? Yes he's young (19) and he'll still make some mistakes but he can throw a mean deep ball.

Pretty sure he's still 18 until October.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

I did and what stood out more were his wide-open misses. Those were really bad. Plus the interception he threw was a very poor pass. Threw it off his back foot with a bunch if air under it and it left the safety plenty of time to pick it off from a wide open receiver.

Back