• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A message and update from Reese Phillips

BWahlberg

DONOR
Wow, incredible guy and horrible injury. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

DKGcoaxUIAArW3F

If we could all handle adversity like this young man............. It is this kind of character I admire and believe Griz football is all about. Life has countless challenges, successes & failures,
we can use them to build us up or tear us down. Reese Phillips will be successful in life, no matter what career path he chooses. I'd hire him in a second.

I want to focus on his recovery but will someone real quick give me a non graphic rundown of how he got hurt? Did he just get twisted around with a body on his foot?

Still so sad for the guy. Hope he recovers in full.

Sounds like an injury that could affect him a long time. With his outlook on life, and his obvious leadership abilities, I think he would make a great coach - if that is what he chooses to do.

Whatever he does in life, I predict great success. And I agree one of my favorite Griz also of all time.

As I have said on this forum before, he is ONE HELL OF A YOUNG MAN. I know the older I get, and I have been doing that for quite a few years now, the more sentimental I get. This is honestly the 2nd time for me. The first time Saturday when I saw him go down because I hurt SO BAD for him. This time because I am SO PROUD of him and the way he is and has represented the Griz spirit, in spite of his circumstance. :cry:

blackfootipa said:
I want to focus on his recovery but will someone real quick give me a non graphic rundown of how he got hurt? Did he just get twisted around with a body on his foot?

Still so sad for the guy. Hope he recovers in full.

You can see the play on youtube in game highlights, but thankfully you cant really see much - nor do they show the injury after it happened.

It just looks to me like he planted his left foot to step up and run into the pocket, at that point two Savannah State players tackled him, one entangled his legs, the other rolled up a bit into his left leg. Just a freak injury that had devastating results.

Very nice to see this. He will continue to be an asset to the program. More importantly, he's staying positive.

Think the Missoulian will cover this? What an amazing young man! I'd say best of luck to you Reese but I already know you'll accomplish everything you set out to do in life.

I am glad Phillips is on the team.

Injuries happen, but it just didn't look like this would be the type of play to have all of these bad injuries.

By dislocated foot, do you think he means dislocated ankle, or what is that?

I broke the same bone playing rugby. Not aware I had other injuries like he did. Mine was a spiral fracture. They said that was good, because it held the bone in place and I didn't need surgery. Out of an abundance of caution and overkill, a resident put me in full length cast from toes to upper thigh. I flew to Houston for a week's vacation 1.5 days later. Cast was completely changed and shortened when I returned, when I could get an appointment. What a pain in the rear it was to go work in NYC with the full cast, which I did for several days. Even using a cab, it was tough. I had to slide in backwards on the seat, and then had trouble getting out each time. Also, in NYC, even though I was on crutches, when cabs stopped, some people hustled and beat me to the cab. That's NYC, or at least was then. Some people would the opposite, though, flagging down a cab, waiving me over, and helping me get in.

It started to heal fairly fast, and I think I was out of the short cast in 6 or so weeks. However, I couldn't run/jog, without a big limp and some pain, until over 4 months later. Don't know it was just me or my injury, or why it took so long. No lingering problems, other than significant discoloration in the ankle area as the years/decades went on.

I can still hear the huge sna/pop as I was pulled to the ground by a big tackler lying on the ground, with my foot planted on a soft field (I had long spikes on, because I had given my regular shoes to a teammate, thinking I wouldn't play a second game (the B game). Fairly painful, but not killer painful. I recall getting totally s-faced that night after I finally got out of the emergency room. Long long waits at ER's in NYC, at least back then.

...standing ovation for reese phillips...
...you move forward with you life...
...we will always have your back...
...once a griz always a griz...

... :clap: :clap: :clap: ...

Reese will always be remembered as a terrific player and leader for the Griz. He is an extremely well-spoken young man who has always represented Griz Nation with class.

Unfortunately for both Reese and us, this stupid freak injury has left all of us with a huge case of the "what-ifs", because his leadership and skills had both him personally and the Griz as a team on a trajectory toward greatness.

I'm sure Gresch will value having Reese around for guidance, and we in Griz Nation are humbled by Reese's incredible dedication to his team and teammates.

Did all the rest but didn't break the fibula. I live with a tear in the cartilage in the "saddle" of the joint. It will never heal and there is no realistic treatment. I still deal with the affects of my injury 30 years later - though it is easily livable. Not nearly what Reese has experienced -- nor will from this point forward. He is younger than when my injury happened and hopefully will heal better in the long run. I believe that top-notch rehab can make a huge difference. I hope he gets it. Godspeed Reese to good health!

alabamagrizzly said:
Think the Missoulian will cover this? What an amazing young man! I'd say best of luck to you Reese but I already know you'll accomplish everything you set out to do in life.

If it's not a gruesome injury or someone getting a mug shot, you can count the Missoulian out. They don't care about positive or moving stories about Griz Football players. Only gore and drama for that poop rag.

Back