• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, Ugly - EWU

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Good:

- a ton of promise and potential in Gresch. Throws one of the best deep balls I've seen in a long time. Threw for 358 yards and 2 TDs. A freshman throwing for 358 is eye opening. And it would have been 400 and 3 TDs without a few key drops
- Tucker Schye played like his hair was on fire. So did Buss.
- McKinley played a pretty good game as he was tested a ton
- Purdy continues to play well with PATs and FGs
- Alijah Lee continues to be an impact player
- Sammy Akem scored his first TD. He is by far our best perimeter blocker as well. The kid never stops.

Bad:

- the yards after catch given up by our D was almost unbelievable. It was like a 5 yard swing route would automatically pick up an extra 20....every single time. Frustrating to see no adjustment.
- not stepping on their throat and letting them hang around
- too many drops by wide receivers
- too much cushion given to their receivers

Ugly:

- LT dropping that perfectly thrown TD pass. Kind of felt bad for the guy.
- not having a kicker who can kick it past the 10 yard line. This is D1 football. Inexcusable.
- kick return game was a mess. The return man was getting hit by 3-6 guys every time. WTF
- our defensive coordinator not making any adjustments when badly needed letting EWU march it up and down the field at will.

One observation - nothing was out of control until a series of plays over a 1 minute span. There was only like 2:00 left in the third quarter, and at that time EWU had only outscored the Griz 7-3 in the third quarter. The score was 27-13. In no time at all, EWU marches down and scores a TD. They then pick off Jessen's first throw and their first play from scrimmage is a TD on a ball thrown to their RB who made guys miss and ran it for 40 yards for the TD. Just like that, it was 27-27, literally in the matter of a minute or two. Everything was downhill after that. Tough to watch. I've lost a lot of confidence in our defense and our coaching staff.

I've been a big Stitt supporter, and even through all the bullshit last year and the year before, I hung around thinking it'd eventually get there.

Starting from last night, for the first time, I don't actually think we're gonna get there.

My confidence in this staff is now at an all-time low, especially on defense.

AZGrizFan said:
What happened to Williams? His LONG punt last night was 38. What happened to 50, 55, 60?

Was wondering this as well. How do you all of a sudden just start kicking 38 instead of 50? Serious question as I've never kicked and know nothing. The consistent kickoff to the 10 will be the death of me. We need a real kicker who can kick touch backs.

Add to the bad-
(1) officials calling PI calls on GRIZ defenders, yet allowing EWU DB's to get away with similar plays. I felt the officiating was very inconsistent Also the outside perimeter holding call on Akem was not holding, yet the same call was not made on EWU WR's on many of their outside passes. Point being, those calls have to be made, or not made for both sides.

(2) GRIZ Kickoff returns- Toure has much more talent than his results with his returns. To me, he seemed way too tentative and did not see the field very well. He missed open lanes entirely. I still don't understand, why isn't JLM returning kickoffs?

Back