• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU Aftermath

mtgrizrule

I have read through every thread and most the posts during and after the GRIZ/EWU game. The result of the game, really has this GRIZ fan confused, disappointed, and torn.

I am confused as to what the answers are for this program/team are to do to get back to being a FCS elite? I am confused, as to if we should have more patience, or continue a revolving door for head coach (not a fan of a revolving door approach).

Disappointed- How can a defense continue to get burned over and over with simple short passes, and a DC not come up with something to, at the very least minimize the passing attack? How can a solid offense seem to go conservative from the 1st half to the 2nd half ? How can an offense consistently not utilize the middle of the field, in way too many games.

Confusion and disappointment has led this GRIZ fan to be very torn as to remain supportive of Coach Stitt, or head in yet another new direction? I honestly do like the quality of players he has brought into this program, on and off the field. Despite the inconsistent offensive results, I do like the offense can usually be relied on for 400 yards and 35 points (it wasn't too long ago when GRIZ fans were asking for that kind of offensive production). I do feel this offense does enough for the GRIZ to be winning at a much higher percentage than they are.

When does our young talent collectively meet it's potential? Defensively, I don't know if it is possible. I have completely lost faith in Semore as a DC. Sorry, but the defense consistently struggles to often to defend the pass, and minimize mobile qb's. Sometimes, the GRIZ DL consistently impacts the game with QB pressure. Yet other times, the QB consistently has 4+ seconds to throw. Which makes things tougher for an already struggling secondary. Seriously, it is a matter of time before a QB finds an open WR. Then again, EWU also showed the GRIZ defense can be exposed with short pass after short pass. Amazing, last season and the 1st game of this season, the defense got torched by long pass plays. The coverage improved the next 2 games. Then game 4, against EWU, they get exposed over and over with short passes. Oh and when the defense does get the offense to 3rd and long, most often they still allowed the offense to convert those long 3rd downs into 1st downs! Against EWU, it happened way too many times!!! Hate to say it, but it appears to me a change at DC might be the only hope this season. Honestly, does this staff have anyone else in place that is capable of doing a great job? Schillinger is too young and inexperienced.

I am also disappointed in kickoff coverage and kick returns. I understand that we can use JLM only so much, but no other returner is proving anything positive. How is the execution of the blocking on returns? It looks to me, the lanes are there, but Toure is not seeing them or too tentative in hitting them.

Before the EWU game, I told Behapp that I had faith in Coach Stitt and would not mind seeing him being extended. Since the EWU game, I admit, I lost a lot of faith in him. I went from being 90% + in favor of retaining him to about 50/50. As for his DC, I have completely lost faith in him. That says a lot, considering I was so in favor of him becoming DC.

I honestly am starting to think, the best place for Stitt to be would be a program with less expectations and less pressure, or even be a BCS/FBS OC. Yet, a lot of me still has faith in his vision. I know he has brought in some amazing talent, except CB. CB is thin and really struggling. Is the lack of depth in the secondary really that bad, and causing the terrible results against the pass? At least, they appear to be stout against the running game.

I guess, the only thing to do is, sit back and evaluate how the season plays out. If the pass defense even gets to average, this team may still be capable of surprising playoff spot, and a win. For me, anything less than the playoffs, will be hard for me to continue to support Stitt. I hate being torn on a coach. I prefer to really support or be against a coach. Why can't I shake my like of Stitt? Despite the way the GRIZ loss to EWU, too much of me still believes he will get the job done. By the way, I am not disappointed in the loss, but in how we lost.

Who else is pretty much torn on him, almost 50/50 with him? For those who are 75%+ for him, can you shed some light on, why we should continue believe in his vision? For those that are 75%+ for heading a new direction, can you politely state what you need to see to even begin considering an extension, or has he totally lost you? Please refrain from name calling and be careful in how you might criticize a player.

This post sums up a lot of the feelings I have. I simply do not understand how we have missed so bad on recruiting for the secondary. Simply does not make sense to me. The true answers are - hire an OC. Fire the DC. Keep recruiting hard and successfully. Stop recruiting receivers. I think there are plenty and maybe work on catching the ball. Montana is winning the in state recruiting battle this year. They need to start winning the coaching battle. First lesson Stitt needs to learn - embrace change. This is big boy football. Seymore is not ready

I'm 50/50 on stitt and want semore gone, however, should stitt fail to remove semore, I think I'm more in favor of a head coaching change then keeping him any longer. Head coaches are often called upon to be a politician of a sort, and this is getting into that realm of politics where his move or lack thereof with semore could decide whether or not stitt stays at seasons end imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I'm 50/50 on stitt and want semore gone, however, should stitt fail to remove semore, I think I'm more in favor of a head coaching change then keeping him any longer. Head coaches are often called upon to be a politician of a sort, and this is getting into that realm of politics where his move or lack thereof with semore could decide whether or not stitt stays at seasons end imo

I am open to that. The question is, who is there to takeover competently as DC, this year? At least at the end of the season, we could take the time to find a good fit. However, by then, it might be too late for Stitt. He is in a tough position, regarding his DC.

I don't know enough about his staffs strengths in terms of ex's and o's to know if there is someone in place. Il look into their bios and see

I looked. There isn't a good option. Outside of stitt and semore our staff is VERY young and inexperienced

Put another 14 million into the facility on the north side and maybe (with a different coaching staff) you can beat a team with D2 facilities on a perfect Saturday night in front of 26,000 home fans.

How is eastern so good? It's Eastern F'n Washington.

And don't say academics. If a kid can pass NCAA clearinghouse, they can be admitted to MSU/UM.

Kudos to their staff, but I don't get it.

I've been pretty vociferous about my displeasure with Stitt and Co. My biggest issue is defense. That falls squarely on Semore. If his scheme is so complicated that college athletes can't align properly or if he can't get the play down in time, he needs to either simplify or be replaced. So much of the woes of this football team are defensively centered. That's where I would start. Right now I'm 75% against, but if Semore gets wise (EWUs press conference should tell him all he needs to know) and the Griz offense keeps getting better under Gresch, then I will be more inclined for him to stay. If things continue to go sideways and Stitt ends up replacing Semore, I'd be more inclined to let him stay. If things continue and we miss the playoffs for a second year in a row... then Haslam needs to lose Stitt like a prom dress.

Innovation is a high risk/reward endeavor. Most coaches are too fearful of losing their jobs allow for the time to work out the kinks of an unproven system. Stitt was hired to bring the next generation of football system to UM. This is the antithesis of coach Delaney's approach when he threw out the Pflugrad system in favor for the tried and true system Delaney understood. The problem we on Egriz had with that system was that it was too predictable.

Yes, this is year three and we should start seeing results. For an innovator I would sure like to see quicker adjustments.

42 points with a true freshman on his first start isn't bad.

wbtfg said:

And don't say academics. If a kid can pass NCAA clearinghouse, they can be admitted to MSU/UM.

Ewu has a huge advantage in recruiting. There are 7 million people in western washington and only a handful of them go to the cougars or huskies. The hs football programs out there are very good. And none of them have even heard of Montana or their fb teams. Eastern is second rate in the state but Montana schools don't even register as second rate.

indian-outlaw said:
wbtfg said:

Ewu has a huge advantage in recruiting. There are 7 million people in western washington and only a handful of them go to the cougars or huskies. The hs football programs out there are very good. And none of them have even heard of Montana or their fb teams. Eastern is second rate in the state but Montana schools don't even register as second rate.

So is EWU beating MSU/UM head to head on kids or is EWU able to find diamonds in the rough no one else wants and develop them?

Also, a related question, is EWU better at recruiting or developing the recruits they get?

wbtfg said:
indian-outlaw said:
wbtfg said:

So is EWU beating MSU/UM head to head on kids or is EWU able to find diamonds in the rough no one else wants and develop them?

Also, a related question, is EWU better at recruiting or developing the recruits they get?

Since Hauck left the U of M, yes EWU is and has been better at player development. Hard to judge Pflugrad at this, being he was not here long enough to see his players through the system. Speaking of Pflugrad, where would this program be, if we had a President with the fortitude to support his coach and AD, or at the very least remain neutral until everything played out? Sorry, but the quick trigger mentality may have set the U of M back for a long time.

mtgrizrule said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

I am open to that. The question is, who is there to takeover competently as DC, this year? At least at the end of the season, we could take the time to find a good fit. However, by then, it might be too late for Stitt. He is in a tough position, regarding his DC.

Look, coach Stitt knew the last six games of the 2016 season, that there was a deficiency in the D.C.and it was more than obvious that special teams also needed attention, not to mention anything about his offensive philosophy and as the head coach he failed to attend to either...

College coaching is a fraternity, however when someone is not getting the job done, there are difficult choices to be made, and if friendship and loyalty mean not doing your job, then your responsibility become a liability, and that is where coach Stitt position is now.

The long and short of the story is coach Stitt arrival from the School of Mines not much of a jump from a Texas high school program to the FCS and a National recognized programs just might be a hill to steep for him to climb.

He didn't come from dominance at the School of Mines and other than the divine intervention of his first NDSU game he has been less than lackluster at the UM.

Now, this is just my opinion, as you have shown yours, so not much can be done about the fubar that the football program is trying to sort out, not much can be done now till the end of the season and coach Stitt and staff can produce wins and not loses...

Again my opinion, the problems is not the athletes, it appears to me to be the direction the coaching staff is providing.

spsyk said:
mtgrizrule said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Look, coach Stitt knew the last six games of the 2016 season, that there was a deficiency in the D.C.and it was more than obvious that special teams also needed attention, not to mention anything about his offensive philosophy and as the head coach he failed to attend to either...

College coaching is a fraternity, however when someone is not getting the job done, there are difficult choices to be made, and if friendship and loyalty mean not doing your job, then your responsibility become a liability, and that is where coach Stitt position is now.

The long and short of the story is coach Stitt arrival from the School of Mines not much of a jump from a Texas high school program to the FCS and a National recognized programs just might be a hill to steep for him to climb.

He didn't come from dominance at the School of Mines and other than the divine intervention of his first NDSU game he has been less than lackluster at the UM.

Now, this is just my opinion, as you have shown yours, so not much can be done about the fubar that the football program is trying to sort out, not much can be done now till the end of the season and coach Stitt and staff can produce wins and not loses...

Again my opinion, the problems is not the athletes, it appears to me to be the direction the coaching staff is providing.

Most egrizzers feel the talent and depth is terrific. That is one of the few things most egrizzers seem to be agreeing with. As for coaching, there is something missing. Especially on the defensive side. Despite my irritation with some of the play calls, for the most part I am happy with the offensive production. My only complaint, the offense has yet to prove to consistently perform well against better defensive teams. I expect offenses to perform below their averages against better defenses, but also expect good offenses to do better than average opponents have against the opposing defenses.

wbtfg said:
indian-outlaw said:
wbtfg said:

I don't think that they have beat the griz out for too many more recruits then the griz have beat them out for. I follow the recruiting from afar, so could be wrong there but think both programs have 'won' on some kids the two programs were battling for. I know the griz really wanted Sam McPherson who had a couple of touchdowns for the griz the other day. Eastern's starting o-lineman Schlichting 'flipped' after initially committing to the griz. Also, did the cats or griz offer easterns tight end Jayce Gilder from Corvallis, Mt a PWO position out of high school or was he not recruited at all?

G-BEARS said:
wbtfg said:
indian-outlaw said:
wbtfg said:

I don't think that they have beat the griz out for too many more recruits then the griz have beat them out for. I follow the recruiting from afar, so could be wrong there but think both programs have 'won' on some kids the two programs were battling for. I know the griz really wanted Sam McPherson who had a couple of touchdowns for the griz the other day. Eastern's starting o-lineman Schlichting 'flipped' after initially committing to the griz. Also, did the cats or griz offer easterns tight end Jayce Gilder from Corvallis, Mt a PWO position out of high school or was he not recruited at all?

They really don’t compete for a ton of kids head to head, which is odd. Recently eastern won a couple battles (Williams & Schlichting) but also lost out on R green. Pretty sure the griz took their offer to McPherson off the table after his injury.

Eastern is in a great spot for recruiting, neither Oregon or Washington has a mid-level, mid major FBS school, but there is a lot of that talent in Washington and Oregon high schools. So a ton of those kids end up at eastern.

Since Hauck left the U of M, yes EWU is and has been better at player development. Hard to judge Pflugrad at this, being he was not here long enough to see his players through the system. Speaking of Pflugrad, where would this program be, if we had a President with the fortitude to support his coach and AD, or at the very least remain neutral until everything played out? Sorry, but the quick trigger mentality may have set the U of M back for a long time.
[/quote]

...when pflugrad was fire I thought it would effect this program for 5 years apparently it will be longer...we might be starting all over again...its funny l had a conservation with Pflugrad and he
said you recruit the best athletes and coach them up..what a good coach we lost..he love Montana too!

Back