• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BEST Candidates - Post Yours Below!

NewPapaBear

Here i will start it off with someone we "should" be familiar with if you know a little college football
I am going to go back to a name I threw out the last time we were searching for a new HC.

maxresdefault.jpg

Grand Valley State Lakers Football
Head coach: Matt Mitchell; 6th season, 57–19 (.750)
The Grand Valley State Lakers football team represents Grand Valley State University in NCAA Division II football.
Conference: Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
NCAA division: Division II
Past conferences: Midwest Intercollegiate Football Conference
Claimed nat'l titles: 4 (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006)

The Lakers currently have the highest winning percentage in ALL of college football.

CONFESSION: I also profiled Stitt last time too :oops:

Either Jim MacElwain or Dave Dickenson would make this half of the state go nuts.

But neither are realistic. My guess is we won’t be looking for another successful D2 coach after Stitt.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
Either Jim MacElwain or Dave Dickenson would make this half of the state go nuts.

But neither are realistic. My guess is we won’t be looking for another successful D2 coach after Stitt.

Stitt wasn’t a particularly successful D2 coach... hope we trade up. I prefer someone with some real post season chops and high win percentages if we go for D2. Can’t have a .650 coach again.

Matt Lubick co-offensive coordinator at the University of Washington. Lots of Montana ties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grizz93 said:
Matt Lubick co-offensive coordinator at the University of Washington. Lots of Montana ties.

I could see this one has true potential of happening; He was also spoken of last go-around as well.

Grizz93 said:

Oh...I'd get on that bus. My issue is the stepping stone thought. I'd rather not have BH, but my guess he'd be a lifer at this point. If he wins, that's fine. I hate changeover in coaching. Truly my least favorite part as a college fan at this level.

I don't think you can look to the midwest unless the guy has ties to Montana. That region has never been a hotbed for recruiting and there are too many schools for Montana to recruit against. Stick to the PNW and find a guy that knows the importance of scouring the entire state to find the hidden gems (and obviously land the majority of elite MT talent)

Grizz93 said:

He makes roughly 475k at UW right now and made 600k at Oregon. I

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

grizfnz said:
Grizz93 said:
He makes roughly 475k at UW right now and made 600k at Oregon.

The pay scale Montana can offer will be the largest hurdle to overcome in finding a high profile coach.
This likely leads to searching through FCS assistants rather than established Power 5 FBS assistants.

Coaching Montana has much to offer prospects but a large pay check won't be one of the perks. :ugeek:

I would say it's a step down from OC at UW to a Head Coach at Montana, especially with the lack of success that former UM coaches have had going to D1 (Mick D, Glenn, Hauck). However..... 475 in Seattle is probably like 350 in Missoula. The housing prices in Seattle are mind blowing. Still, I don't see it happening with Lubick coming to UM.

Grizzlies1982 said:
grizfnz said:
Grizz93 said:
He makes roughly 475k at UW right now and made 600k at Oregon.

The pay scale Montana can offer will be the largest hurdle to overcome in finding a high profile coach.
This likely leads to searching through FCS assistants rather than established Power 5 FBS assistants.

Coaching Montana has much to offer prospects but a large pay check won't be one of the perks. :ugeek:

Lots of people, including myself, gave up much higher paying jobs to come live in Missoula. Happiness is not defined by size of paycheck. Quality of life is huge, and sometimes one just needs to leave Montana for awhile to realize how special this place is. I was one of these people. Sounds like Bobby might have the same beliefs.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
Montana has much to offer prospects but a large pay check won't be one of the perks. :ugeek:

You just summed up the job market here.
Guess you could count out Jonathan Smith for this reason!

Andy Thompson would be a good hire. Former player. Defensive Guy. Young. Smart. PNW ties.

Lubick was my first thought, and he'd absolutely be my first choice. That said, he comes here only if he wants a shot at being a head coach in the short run. He can hold out for an FBS gig, but some of those are worse jobs than being the head guy at Montana. I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility but he won't take it for the money, obviously. And you understand going in that you're definitely hiring someone who will be looking for a bigger gig/paycheck and won't be a lifer at UM.

I didn’t listen to the press conference. Did Haslam say there would be a search and a hiring committee? I’m wondering if he will just name a coach without doing a full public search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EverettGriz said:
Lubick was my first thought, and he'd absolutely be my first choice. That said, he comes here only if he wants a shot at being a head coach in the short run. He can hold out for an FBS gig, but some of those are worse jobs than being the head guy at Montana. I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility but he won't take it for the money, obviously. And you understand going in that you're definitely hiring someone who will be looking for a bigger gig/paycheck and won't be a lifer at UM.

I think with few exceptions, UM is a stepping stone for any coach. It used to be a good one! Hopefully will be again. Advantage with Hauck is he may be willing to stay as he has already done it once. If a good FBS offer came though I would be surprised if he didnt take it. I dont think he would likely take another UNLV type job that a younger leas experienced coach might.

Nick Patrino might be a good choice. I know it is a roll of the dice because he is young and no HC experience. But he comes from good as football a background as you can get. Kinda like a Kyle Shanahan for college football. Current QB coach at Louisville. 150,000 salary.

Back