• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Observations of NDSU

Griz1

They play smash mouth football.
Their running backs are deep and good.
Both of their lines play tough, mean and with an attitude.
Their quarterback is accurate and fast.
Their linebackers have speed and make very few mistakes.
The defensive players are very fundamentally sound in assignments and tackling.
They pursue well.
They are well coached.
Their receivers catch the ball.
They don't need trick plays to win a game.
Special teams are sound.
Their backups get a lot of playing time and it is the key to their development and depth.

The Griz used to be like that and I miss it. Our seasons didn't end until December. I fully believe we are on the verge of returning to that dominance and I look forward to the return of Montana football.

Yep exactly. Not sure why people on this site continuously try to tear NDSU down. I suppose envy I guess. They play football the way it should be played.

This style of play is coming back boys and girls and I can’t wait for it!

41GrizFan said:
Yep exactly. Not sure why people on this site continuously try to tear NDSU down. I suppose envy I guess. They play football the way it should be played.

(broken question mark)

trying to cajole middle aged north dakotans into losing some weight and tearing ndsu down for how they play football are entirely different endeavors. one is unfortunately necessary, and the other never happens on egriz.

Offensively, the dropped passes is by far the biggest downfall of the team these last two years. Not just failing to convert on 3rd downs and leaving points on the field, but it’s created a culture that says it’s OKAY to go drop passes....you’ll still get a 2nd and 3rd chance, plus more playing time next week. Dear god we’ve got plenty of WR’s, play the ones that catch the ball.

Defense straight up got sloppy. Just gonna take proper coaching up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41GrizFan said:

Not on offense pard, old timey Bobby-ball ain’t coming back, though they will be able to run the ball. & we should all hope for a UNDSU style defense.

Griz1 said:
They play smash mouth football.
Their running backs are deep and good.
Both of their lines play tough, mean and with an attitude.
Their quarterback is accurate and fast.
Their linebackers have speed and make very few mistakes.
The defensive players are very fundamentally sound in assignments and tackling.
They pursue well.
They are well coached.
Their receivers catch the ball.
They don't need trick plays to win a game.
Special teams are sound.
Their backups get a lot of playing time and it is the key to their development and depth.

The Griz used to be like that and I miss it. Our seasons didn't end until December. I fully believe we are on the verge of returning to that dominance and I look forward to the return of Montana football.

I've always been interested/curious how favors/McKinley would have developed had they taken the scholarship offers from ndsu. So much potential from those recruits, McKinley had a good senior year though.

Parents of players from Florida can quit their jobs and move to Fargo to watch their kids play football. Until the Griz have booster support like that they will never compete with NDSU or the SEC.

NDSU has what we HAD. DOLA needs to be back where it belongs, in Montana. Just saying. NDSU strut with championship attitude, and swagger. That used to be us, and everyone feared us. We are coming back, beware the bear.

Bobby played NDSU style football before NDSU was a thing on the FCS level.

NDSU basically used the model that Montana built its success from and perfected it.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

NDSU basically used the model that Montana built its success from and perfected it.

NDSU has decided what type of football they want to play and stayed with it. The Griz were dominant under Coach Hauck because he stayed the course.
When Pflugrad took over he decided the Griz needed to change their offense and brought in Pfluffy ball. This made little sense to me since it was clear the Griz program was not broken so why fix it. His first year was a struggle but he did coach the Griz to the semi's his second year due in large part to a very talented QB.
Delaney returned the Griz to the pro style offense and had reasonably good success. He also righted the ship after the Engstrom Enema happened. Thanks to Mick for doing a great job.
Stitt is hired because "I heard you have a good offense." Stitt was in over his head from the very beginning and seemed to alienate hold over coaches and some players.
The worst thing that happened is when the Griz beat NDSU on national television. I think that gave Stitt an unwarranted strong sense of confidence and fueled his ego.
Bob Stitt is a good guy and all but he was not the right coach for this level of play and for the fan expectations of team performance.
My point in this post is that the Griz have bounced around on the style of play since Coach Hauck left and it has created issues for both players and recruits. It appears attendance is suffering because of it.
'

BadlandsGrizFan said:

I would strongly disagree with this. NDSU has always played this type of football. I first watched them in the early 80's. Their dominance at div 2 transitioned seemlessly into FCS.

Back