• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber State's going to be replacing A LOT of talent

BWahlberg

DONOR
Looked at this on the other board and wanted to share here too:

Weber's senior class isn't huge, by any means, but the guys they lose will really test their 2018 team.

Johnson - CB, defensive MVP
Denby - WR, backup
Lopez - S, backup
Cantwell - QB, starting QB
Batchelor - WR, lead the team in TDs, 2nd in yards & catches
Harry - CB, starter, lead the team with 5 picks
Satuala - TE, backup
Malan - DE, starter, lead the team in TFLs (15) and sacks (7.5)
Demaio - P, 42.2 yards per punt, 3rd best in the conference (by 0.4 yards behind the best) with the best net yards overall
Henderson - DT, appears to be a backup
Alldredge - OL, backup
Simpson - OL, backup
Vollert - TE, best TE in the conference
Murphy - DT, starter, 2nd best in TFLs
Pope - DT, backup
Lewis - DE, appears to be a backup but did have 4.5 TFLs

So generally... Weber loses their starting QB, their best two corners, the best TE in the conference, their best D-end, their best DT, and a good punter. They return some good safeties, the OL is fully intact, the rest of their skill guys (WRs/RBs), all linebackers, and kicker who is pretty solid.

BWahlberg said:

Weber's senior class isn't huge, by any means, but the guys they lose will really test their 2018 team.

Denby - WR, backup
Lopez - S, backup
Satuala - TE, backup
Demaio - P, 42.2 yards per punt, 3rd best in the conference (by 0.4 yards behind the best) with the best net yards overall
Alldredge - OL, backup
Simpson - OL, backup
Pope - DT, backup

So generally... Weber loses their starting QB, their best two corners, the best TE in the conference, their best D-end, their best DT, and a good punter. They return some good safeties, the OL is fully intact, the rest of their skill guys (WRs/RBs), all linebackers, and kicker who is pretty solid.

There is an obvious reticence to discuss this aspect, but how many of those graduating will be replaced by those on missions now? Their roster had 11 players between 24 and 26 years of age this year and that trend is obviously not going to slow in the foreseeable future. BYU has sucked for a few years so obviously that would be a priority for someone coming off a mission but don't look for Weber to fade too much.

Montana needs to take note from the Weeeebs playbook, and install more 25 year olds on their team to help compete with the upper echelon teams down in the Utah Deseret Territory. Lot easier to lower a shoulder on a 20yr old that way.... :p

Edit: Cat grad beat me to the obvious

The older players have been an issue for schools with a heavy population LDS students for decades. It is certainly and advantage for Weber. I am not sure if there is a solution. Maybe allow five years of eligibility and players must be 25 years or younger?
I know of one local family that holds their kids out of school for one year so they have an advantage in the sports. I graduated HS at 17 and know how much of a difference that extra age made.

Kabooom said:
Montana needs to take note from the Weeeebs playbook, and install more 25 year olds on their team to help compete with the upper echelon teams down in the Utah Deseret Territory. Lot easier to lower a shoulder on a 20yr old that way.... :p

I believe Jonny Peoples was a Marine and graduated as a 26 year old when he was here. He was a stud too.

alabamagrizzly said:
Kabooom said:

I believe Jonny Peoples was a Marine and graduated as a 26 year old when he was here. He was a stud too.

giphy.gif

BWahlberg said:

Denby - WR, backup
Lopez - S, backup
Satuala - TE, backup
Alldredge - OL, backup
Simpson - OL, backup
Pope - DT, backup

I suspect their defense will still be solid but will take a slight step back. Their biggest question will be QB play. They had Clark and were able to replace him with a senior in Cantwell who was even better. If they got another one then they should be in good shape because that run game will be again really good. Right now I think they come into the year 3rd or 4th then could go up or down depending on how that guy does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't their backup QB get some reps this year when Cantwell was hurt? Thought I remember where he couldn't play a game or two...

grizpack said:
Didn't their backup QB get some reps this year when Cantwell was hurt? Thought I remember where he couldn't play a game or two...

I believe he played against Montana Western when Weber blew them out. He also played part of the game against southern utah when Canter got a concussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, this season was the culmination of all the talent that Hill brought in since his first year. Now it's time to see if Hill can reload, not rebuild.

WILDCATFAN said:
Yup, this season was the culmination of all the talent that Hill brought in since his first year. Now it's time to see if Hill can reload, not rebuild.

I've been really impressed with what he's built, and you're right about 2018. If he keeps Weber on an upward trend after the amount of talent he graduates I don't think he'll be in Ogden for long. He'll become a real hot prospect in the region.

Back