• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 MT Football Gatorade Player of the Year...

VimSince03

...is who you would expect: Gabe Sulser! Congrats to Gabe. He was actually one of the best running backs in the state this year with also being the best wide receiver. The numbers and tape don't lie.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Hudl/status/940206049646190593[/tweet]

alabamagrizzly said:
What were his season totals besides a state championship?

Rushing: 106 carries for 997 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns
Receiving: 85 receptions for 1109 yards and 11 receiving touchdowns
Passing: 3/5 for 89 yards and 1 passing touchdown

VimSince03 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Thanks Vim. Thats pretty damn impressive. A first down every time he touches the ball.

My HS coach and later coach at West High, Berv Kimberley, has been an intense observer of MT HS football and particularly Billings FB for 60 years. He believes Sulser is the best HS football player he has seen. Berv is a Griz fan and when I brought him up to the EWU game, I tried to compare Sulser to JLM. He agreed, same type of player; Sulser may be better.

kemajic said:
My HS coach and later coach at West High, Berv Kimberley, has been an intense observer of MT HS football and particularly Billings FB for 60 years. He believes Sulser is the best HS football player he has seen. Berv is a Griz fan and when I brought him up to the EWU game, I tried to compare Sulser to JLM. He agreed, same type of player; Sulser may be better.

I'm on the record (somewhere in this forum) that Gabe Sulser has a higher ceiling than JLM and I'm predicting he will have a better Griz career.

Congrats to Gabe= future Griz All- American return man and WR = (Mark Mariani #2~~ under Hauck) You made the right choice my man!!! Choke is trash talking Hauck and he will eat his words!!! Choke and Gregorac will both be kissing Bobby Haucks feet before it's over!!!

i_the_sky said:
Congrats to Gabe= future Griz All- American return man and WR = (Mark Mariani #2~~ under Hauck) You made the right choice my man!!! Choke is trash talking Hauck and he will eat his words!!! Choke and Gregorac will both be kissing Bobby Haucks feet before it's over!!!
Unless there’s a new sound bit, he was very complimentary of Hauck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we can be glad he's only 5'9". If he was 6' or taller, he'd probably be going out of state.

Congrats to Gabe - What a great high school career! Let's keep it rolling at UM. So will he red shirt? Future looks bright in Maroon & Silver!

Dillon said:
Congrats to Gabe - What a great high school career! Let's keep it rolling at UM. So will he red shirt? Future looks bright in Maroon & Silver!

Well Hauck won’t just redshirt everyone as a policy. The best players will play. With that being said, WR is one position hauck has the depth to redshirt him. Generally it’s best for a young player to redshirt but Sulser is a different talent so hard to say. Also, I wouldn’t want him to burn his redshirt if he’s going to have a limited role.

VimSince03 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Great kid in all facets! Anybody that thinks he might not be the best has never seen him play. Period. Had to witness it a few times this past couple years. Those stats are with the defense keyed 100% on stopping him.

http://406mtsports.com/high-school/football/billings-senior-s-gabe-sulser-is-gatorade-montana-football-player/article_6195d50f-f0d6-550c-af50-33a11c5a8ebd.html?utm_content=buffer11064&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

dayday said:
Dillon said:

Well Hauck won’t just redshirt everyone as a policy. The best players will play. With that being said, WR is one position hauck has the depth to redshirt him. Generally it’s best for a young player to redshirt but Sulser is a different talent so hard to say. Also, I wouldn’t want him to burn his redshirt if he’s going to have a limited role.

and with a smaller frame, no matter how strong, it's sometimes good to get that year in the weight room, but if they are special and will play, then they should play. O and D-line one the other hand, generally redshirt if possible IMO to get them bigger and stronger.

i_the_sky said:
Choate and staff are doing very well with Montana recruits. They have almost double the number the Griz have on the roster. Troy Anderson is going to be a great one. Nolan Askelson is not that far behind Sulser. Choate and staff will continue to do well. A lot has to do with what these kids are looking to major in. The STEM degrees at MSU is a huge attraction. Yes, Hauck will get his share but that is to be expected. No big deal.

bigsky33 said:
i_the_sky said:
Choate and staff are doing very well with Montana recruits. They have almost double the number the Griz have on the roster. Troy Anderson is going to be a great one. Nolan Askelson is not that far behind Sulser. Choate and staff will continue to do well. A lot has to do with what these kids are looking to major in. The STEM degrees at MSU is a huge attraction. Yes, Hauck will get his share but that is to be expected. No big deal.
Don’t count askelson just yet

Back