• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Jerry Rice Award

bgbigdog

DONOR
The Jerry Rice Award voting reflected the regular season and was conducted before the start of the FCS playoffs.
---
The complete results were as follows:
1. Bryson Armstrong, LB, Kennesaw State: 29-32-12-12-14-347
2. Zane Dudek, RB, Yale: 19-31-26-20-9-346
3. Gresch Jensen, QB, Montana: 18-13-13-17-22-237
4. Daniel Smith, QB, Campbell: 21-11-12-4-7-200
5. Davis Cheek, QB, Elon: 16-10-15-8-12-193

Incredible showing. Congrats to Gresch, a fabulous season under difficult conditions. *

* Take that you bunch of f$&king moron BSC voters. The Andersen kid, with all due, was 13th. Happy holidays with your heads up your asses.

Mods - sorry for the duplicate, probably should merge this. Not taking back anything I said about the morons though.

bgbigdog said:
Mods - sorry for the duplicate, probably should merge this. Not taking back anything I said about the morons though.

You are seeing the BSC as "morons", but perhaps the Jerry Rice voters are brain dead for having Andersen 13th? Certainly ties to a school dictate the narrative.

Phat Daddy said:
bgbigdog said:

You are seeing the BSC as "morons", but perhaps the Jerry Rice voters are brain dead for having Andersen 13th? Certainly ties to a school dictate the narrative.
No.

Jensen was objectively better and more important to his team as a freshman.

It’s not even close.

Phat Daddy said:
bgbigdog said:

I think you’re absolutely right about being tied to a school dictating a narrative. That explains the two of us. I also think the folks that voted on a national level had to actually do some research because there were fifteen or more “finalists.” Perhaps they actually compared things like stats, & render a judgement on how important the player was to their respective teams seasons. The absence of bias, which I feel can’t be said for the BSC.

Andersen is a star in the making. Take him off the team & the win/loss record of state ag is the same. Take Jensen away from the Griz this season. & you have a 3-8 record.

bgbigdog said:
Phat Daddy said:
bgbigdog said:

I think you’re absolutely right about being tied to a school dictating a narrative. That explains the two of us. I also think the folks that voted on a national level had to actually do some research because there were fifteen or more “finalists.” Perhaps they actually compared things like stats, & render a judgement on how important the player was to their respective teams seasons. The absence of bias, which I feel can’t be said for the BSC.

Andersen is a star in the making. Take him off the team & the win/loss record of state ag is the same. Take Jensen away from the Griz this season. & you have a 3-8 record.

I agree with most everything you said. But idk about that bold part. We won with Phillips and we won with Simis too. Don't think the record would have been that drastically different.

G-BEARS said:
bgbigdog said:
Phat Daddy said:
bgbigdog said:

I agree with most everything you said. But idk about that bold part. We won with Phillips and we won with Simis too. Don't think the record would have been that drastically different.

My assertion was as if Jensen & Anderson didn’t exist. That means someone not named Jensen & Caleb Hill would have been the guys trying to play out the season once Phillips went down. It may be harsh criticism of Hill, but I don’t think he could have held up given what we saw & the complexities of Stitt’s offense. Stitt bailed on him after one series. And Simis pulled one out of his posterior, once. Do you think that strategy would have worked again? I don’t. The offense was predicated on passing, not running like state ag., which is why you could have a receiver play QB all season. The defense was inconsistent @ best & a struggling offense, to me, would have been a disaster. Making what Jensen actually accomplished all the more valuable.

bgbigdog said:
G-BEARS said:
bgbigdog said:
Phat Daddy said:

My assertion was as if Jensen & Anderson didn’t exist. That means someone not named Jensen & Caleb Hill would have been the guys trying to play out the season once Phillips went down. It may be harsh criticism of Hill, but I don’t think he could have held up given what we saw & the complexities of Stitt’s offense. Stitt bailed on him after one series. And Simis pulled one out of his posterior, once. Do you think that strategy would have worked again? I don’t. The offense was predicated on passing, not running like state ag., which is why you could have a receiver play QB all season. The defense was inconsistent @ best & a struggling offense, to me, would have been a disaster. Making what Jensen actually accomplished all the more valuable.

I know what you meant. I think Hill/Simis could have won a few games too though.

First, I applaud the civility of the discussion and the ability to disagree without the typical resort to "he's better, he's a griz or he's better he's a Cat."

UofMman1122, I tend to think you meant "subjectively" and not "objectively". I think arguments can be made either way regarding the voters. National voters, while they should do more research, typically seem not to do so. The BSC voters tend to vote on observation and less statistically. You could argue they are more subjective and less research based for sure. Which is right and which is accurate? Good luck.

As to the W-L record, I think I agree that removing Andersen from our team doesn't change the 5-6 record. I also see valid argument that removing Jensen doesn't substantially change your outcome. I think you still win the games you did and lose those you did.

That said, both are significantly skilled freshmen that will likely be major contributors to their teams for the next three years and potentially be nationally recognized. I can only hope for both programs we are having this debate in two years about BSC MVP and/or Payton/Buchanon merit.

Phat Daddy said:
UofMman1122, I tend to think you meant "subjectively" and not "objectively".
No.

He was objectively better in a more important position.

If he had started all of our games, he would have run away with the Jerry Rice Award.

The national voters got it right, again, just like they did when they picked Holmes over Cowser for the Defensive Player of the Year that the Big Sky Conference messed up.

But Holmes vs. Cowser was way closer and more arguable than Jensen vs. Andersen was.

Aren’t most freshmen are 17/18.

Not saying Jensen didn’t have a good year. He’s at least a year, maybe a year and a half older than Anderson. Lots of Development happens your true freshman year. Hard to compare the two at the same place in time unless you can say how much value to the team Jensen was his first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would take Andersen in a New York MINUTE on the Griz. all day and twice on Sundays.....

dude is a baller....

Back