• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nate Dick to Rocky

signedbewildered

DONOR
http://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/football/former-billings-senior-qb-nate-dick-transferring-from-montana-to/article_0c5acfe1-d960-5a1e-987c-5e3c7ede5f6b.html

Saw on another thread he wants to play QB and doesn't know if he'll get a shot to do so here. Supposed being behind Gresch for 3 years may be tough. I think he'd be playing QB in no time at the rate we see QB injuries but I get it. I wish him the best.

As rumored, sounds like he was likely to go regardless of who Montana's HC was next year. Best of luck Nate! We will be cheering for you.

Former Billings Senior QB Nate Dick transferring from Montana to Rocky Mountain College

(Kyle Hansen/Amie Just)

The former Billings Senior Bronc standout is transferring from the University of Montana's football program to Rocky Mountain College he told 406mtsports.com on Thursday night.

Recruited as a quarterback, Dick redshirted his first year with the Griz.

"A lot of it was I was homesick," Dick said over the phone. "I really miss my parents and my family and kind of being in that family environment is really a big thing for sure ... I really believe in Coach (Jason) Petrino and what his vision is with his coaching staff and honestly that's probably where I was going to go last year before Missoula offered me and they offered me pretty late in the process, so kind of in the back of my mind that's the place I wanted to be."

Dick said the idea of being close to friends and family was tough to pass up.

Dick committed to UM almost exactly a year ago, and one day after being named the 2016 Gatorade Montana Football Player of the Year.

"I just think it will kind of be a better fit for me," Dick said. "I was just thankful for the opportunity that Coach (Bob) Stitt gave me, too. Not a lot of people believe in short kids that play quarterback. He really believed in me so I thank him. He gave me a shot."

Dick said the recent coaching changes at UM, including the firing of Stitt and re-hiring of Bobby Hauck, did not have a significant impact on his decision to transfer.

"The new coaching staff came in and they were upfront and honest with me and said they'd give me a shot at quarterback," Dick said. "I honestly would've got a fair shake here."

Dick said Rocky still felt like home and like a place he would want to contribute in the future. Dick said UM had granted his release and that his transfer to Rocky has been complete. Because Dick is dropping from the FCS level to the NAIA, he does not lose any years of eligibility and will still have four years left of football. He will be able to compete in spring ball for Rocky once that rolls around.

"Every time I was at Rocky it just felt like the place where I wanted to be and where I wanted to contribute and I'm just glad that Coach Petrino believed in me still," Dick said. "He's definitely a guy that I'd go to battle with and that I'd play for and work my butt off just for him."

While at Montana, Dick used his redshirt season and was a major contributor to the scout team.

At Montana football's season-ending banquet, Dick was presented with the Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year Award.

For Dick, he said he doesn't regret going to UM and that he will miss the relationships he's had with his friends and teammates.

"Every kid in Montana believes that if you get offered by UM I think it's just something that you have to take and go with it just with all the success they've had here," Dick said. "I just felt like I would have been mad at myself if I didn't take this opportunity you know? ... I'm just glad that I gave it a shot and it just didn't really work out ... I'm just thankful I get another chance to go play college football."

As a senior at Senior, Dick led the Broncs to a 13-0 record and their first state football title in 37 years. He passed for 2,639 yards and 34 touchdowns while only throwing three interceptions. On the ground, Dick ran the ball 153 times for 1,222 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Montana's Assistant Director of Communications Eric Taber said in a text on Thursday, "We wish him the best in his endeavors."

Other quarterbacks currently remaining on Montana's roster are Gresch Jensen, Caleb Hill and Tanner Wilson.

Jacob Bakken, of Wibaux, began the year as Rocky's starting quarterback before going down with an ACL tear. Drew Korf, a freshman from Boise, finished the year as the starter for the Battlin' Bears.

Going forward, Dick said he's looking forward to a fresh start.

"Those two guys are talented kids and they're going to come to work every single day too," Dick said. "I'm just excited for the competition."

What else can you say other than best of luck Nate. Sounds like returning home fills the bill in all respects. :clap:

And this, with no disrespect to Nate, is why I have such mad respect for guys like Mike Ralston and Makena Simis. Those two grinders would have played WATERBOY if it meant helping their team and getting on the field.

AZGrizFan said:
And this, with no disrespect to Nate, is why I have such mad respect for guys like Mike Ralston and Makena Simis. Those two grinders would have played WATERBOY if it meant helping their team and getting on the field.

Those types of people put the team ahead of themselves. They're the ones you need to get a program going. They bring the right kind of attitude, the buy-in.

Can't blame him for wanting some playing time. Looks like Jensen is going to be around for a while so that's good at least, little shaky at qb depth now as I'm not sure Hill can get it done if called on.

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
Can't blame him for wanting some playing time. Looks like Jensen is going to be around for a while so that's good at least, little shaky at qb depth now as I'm not sure Hill can get it done if called on.

Hauck offered a former QB of his at unlv who played a bit as a RS Freshman and then transferred to JUCO for this past season. Was a 3-star coming out of high school. Has I beleive 2 years remaining.

Hawkeyebowhunter said:

Ralston and Simis wanted playing time too. So they found a way to help the team AND get on the field at the same time.

I guess one could argue that Nate Dick helped the team by freeing up a scholarship...

AZGrizFan said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

Ralston and Simis wanted playing time too. So they found a way to help the team AND get on the field at the same time.

I guess one could argue that Nate Dick helped the team by freeing up a scholarship...

I think this will be the case with Hill as well. He is athletic and I think Hauck will use that somewhere.

...said it over and over here...
...kids want to play in front of family and friends...
...why it is so difficult to recruit players for football at montana...
...a place like no.dak st. gets all the drop down wanna bees from the big 10...

... :shock: ...

AZGrizFan said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

IMO, you are kinda being dickish.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

I don't think that's dickish, I think it's the truth. I'm bummed because I always felt Dick had that x-factor and wanted to see what he could do for us by his junior/senior years.

In the end, he ranked being in the exact same town as family and immediate playing time over everything here. That's his prerogative but still it's a bummer.

grizfan95 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

I don't think that's dickish, I think it's the truth. I'm bummed because I always felt Dick had that x-factor and wanted to see what he could do for us by his junior/senior years.

In the end, he ranked being in the exact same town as family and immediate playing time over everything here. That's his prerogative but still it's a bummer.

Funny, but I don't see any comment by AZ that referred to family considerations. It seems to me he is knocking Nate for not being a good teammate.

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizfan95 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Funny, but I don't see any comment by AZ that referred to family considerations. It seems to me he is knocking Nate for not being a good teammate.

I don't blame the kid - his reasons were easy to understand. I wish him well and hope he tears up the Frontier.

But, it's hard to argue he IS being a "good teammate."

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizfan95 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Good luck to the kid. He did himself, the program and his family a favor. He was honest and chose to go a different direction. Why he would be criticized for that makes no sense. He will do well at Rocky and be happy. The Griz will fill the slot with a player who likes Missoula and the program as a whole. Not sure why people have to go negative on a 19 or 20 year old kid.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
grizfan95 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I don't blame the kid - his reasons were easy to understand. I wish him well and hope he tears up the Frontier.

Why argue about that at all.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
grizfan95 said:

Why argue about that at all.

I'm not going to....I just don't think AZ's comments were "dickish" or "negative." Admittedly, my "meanness" meter might need calibrating.

HookedonGriz said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

Hauck offered a former QB of his at unlv who played a bit as a RS Freshman and then transferred to JUCO for this past season. Was a 3-star coming out of high school. Has I beleive 2 years remaining.

I don't think hauck had him at unlv. Bobbys been at sdsu the last 3 years. Maybe I'm wrong

Back