• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nolan Askelson

WaGriz4life

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4483082/5a137b784bb2d509fc0f1561

Sulser is the best player in the state. This is the second Best player in the state. Going to be a problem wherever he ends up.

WaGriz4life said:

Sulser is the best player in the state. This is the second Best player in the state. Going to be a problem wherever he ends up.

All subjective. Many would argue Drew Turner is the 2nd best player in the state.

WaGriz4life said:

All subjective. Many would argue Drew Turner is the 2nd best player in the state.

WaGriz4life said:

With all due respect, I really don’t see him as number 2. Turner is a rare power running back with break away speed. I’d like to see more Askelson highlights where he isn’t just lined up shooting gaps. Not sure he is even the best LB in the state. Graves from Eureka is really good, and so is that kid from Capital.

grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:

With all due respect, I really don’t see him as number 2. Turner is a rare power running back with break away speed. I’d like to see more Askelson highlights where he isn’t just lined up shooting gaps. Not sure he is even the best LB in the state. Graves from Eureka is really good, and so is that kid from Capital.

You guys are funny. Watch his junior tape if you want more sideline to sideline stuff. Also keep in mind he was the AA Defensive MVP while also being up for the Offensive MVP at QB. What he did in 2017 was rare for AA QB's.

You guys are funny. Watch his junior and senior tapes. If he jumps to the Griz he's a stud with a huge upside and will be at least All Big Sky if not All-American. If he stays with the Cats, he is over-rated, his tape is mostly CGI tricks and he will end up fat and homeless.

SaskGriz said:
You guys are funny. Watch his junior and senior tapes. If he jumps to the Griz he's a stud with a huge upside and will be at least All Big Sky if not All-American. If he stays with the Cats, he is over-rated, his tape is mostly CGI tricks and he will end up fat and homeless.

I will be surprised if he jumps. My guess is he signs on the 20th with the Cats. His recent twitter activity is back towards the Cats. I think we can maybe get more excited if he does not sign on the 20th because it means he is still giving us some thought. I don't believe he is even been here for a OCV.

SaskGriz said:

Now this, is funny. :lol:

VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:

You guys are funny. Watch his junior tape if you want more sideline to sideline stuff. Also keep in mind he was the AA Defensive MVP while also being up for the Offensive MVP at QB. What he did in 2017 was rare for AA QB's.

Askelson is really good no doubt. Playing QB and LB is amazing. My point is that it will be interesting to see how good he is when he is not playing for that loaded senior D, and coming in unblocked every other play. All state and MVP kids get eaten for breakfast in college all the time. That stuff is usually a product of media hype, stats, and each coach's "guys". Really don't think anybody is worth "fearing" in the 2018 class. Time will tell.

bgbigdog said:
SaskGriz said:

Now this, is funny. :lol:

Because it’s true... :D

I think there’s a significant chance of him being in Missoula middle of next November wearing some shade of state ag & rodeo clown college blue.

Choate Needs this kid in the worst way. If not Andersen is going to get pretty tired from having to go both ways again next season.

SaskGriz said:

:lol:

grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:

Here is just the first 11 plays of his senior highlight:

:10 - Blitzes as a MLB, beats the guard and fullback to sack Levi Janacaro (not the easiest task)

:18 - Blitzes as a MLB, gets stopped, re-routes to chase down QB rolling to his right for a sack

:28 - TFL, no blitz as he read run and found the ball

:37 - At MLB, stuffs the run for about a 2-yard gain but forces a fumble

:44 - At OLB, blitzes off edge and gets by left tackle and running back to sack Janacaro again (had a bad snap so obviously that helped)

:50 - At OLB, plays run, stands up the right tackle, sacks QB rolling out to the right

:58 - At MLB, drops back into coverage, reads Kaleb Winterburn and makes a pick

1:09 - At OLB, blitzes off edge and beats the left tackle to sack Janacaro for a 3rd time

1:16 - At MLB, blitzes, beats center and guard for a sack

1:23 - At MLB, reads run, beats the pulling guard for a tackle for a loss

1:33 - At LB in the nickel, plays coverage, picks off Winterburn for a second time

Do I need to go on? This is just the first 11 plays of a 9:30 senior highlight film. You can't just say he is a free blitzer every play. He is beating kids with good technique, strength, and athleticism. On the first play listed, he beat a guard and a running back on the same play for a sack. He isn't just "shooting gaps" every play as you said above. Nolan showed everything you want to see out of a linebacker recruit. Makes plays in the backfield, at the line of scrimmage, and in coverage.

Askelson is really good no doubt. Playing QB and LB is amazing. My point is that it will be interesting to see how good he is when he is not playing for that loaded senior D, and coming in unblocked every other play. All state and MVP kids get eaten for breakfast in college all the time. That stuff is usually a product of media hype, stats, and each coach's "guys". Really don't think anybody is worth "fearing" in the 2018 class. Time will tell.

Quite the take here. With that logic, I guess we will just see how good Gabe Sulser is when he isn't playing for that loaded Senior offense.

VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:

:10 - Blitzes as a MLB, beats the guard and fullback to sack Levi Janacaro (not the easiest task)

:18 - Blitzes as a MLB, gets stopped, re-routes to chase down QB rolling to his right for a sack

:44 - At OLB, blitzes off edge and gets by left tackle and running back to sack Janacaro again (had a bad snap so obviously that helped)

:50 - At OLB, plays run, stands up the right tackle, sacks QB rolling out to the right

1:09 - At OLB, blitzes off edge and beats the left tackle to sack Janacaro for a 3rd time

1:33 - At LB in the nickel, plays coverage, picks off Winterburn for a second time

Do I need to go on? This is just the first 11 plays of a 9:30 senior highlight film. You can't just say he is a free blitzer every play. He is beating kids with good technique, strength, and athleticism. On the first play listed, he beat a guard and a running back on the same play for a sack. He isn't just "shooting gaps" every play as you said above. Nolan showed everything you want to see out of a linebacker recruit. Makes plays in the backfield, at the line of scrimmage, and in coverage.

Quite the take here. With that logic, I guess we will just see how good Gabe Sulser is when he isn't playing for that loaded Senior offense.

The logic is obviously correct...not one person on this planet knows how well ANY of the recruited athletes will perform in college.

I hope they both have kick ass, healthy careers and represent our state well.

VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:

VIM, you do realize you are fighting a losing battle with this audience.

After magical final seasons, Senior standouts Sulser, Askelson shift to opposite sides of the rivalry — https://skylinesportsmt.com/sulser/

HelenaHandBasket said:
VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:
WaGriz4life said:

I will always respond to lazy takes when they downgrade a players ability. He basically relegated Nolan's ability to just being a "good blitzer" and "his stats were overhyped because he played with a good defense."

VimSince03 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
VimSince03 said:
grizzfam said:

I will always respond to lazy takes when they downgrade a players ability. He basically relegated Nolan's ability to just being a "good blitzer" and "his stats were overhyped because he played with a good defense."
Both Sulser and Askelson are phenomenal players who will be successful at next level. I would argue that Graves belongs in that conversation as well. He scored 42 TDS this year. This with O line that was entirely new this year. No all state lineman in front of him. On D had 10 QB sacks, 6 picks and a ton of tackles. His coach says his best can’t be measured as it’s his leadership and confidence he instills in teammates. Lots of good players in 2018 class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan is a stud, and at the start of the 2017 season Drew was the second best player in the state, and by the end of the 2017 season, Nolan had made a very solid push for being number 2. In my eyes, he is the second best player in the state of MT. He did have a lot of range with that D-line not letting the big uglies reach the linebackers, but the kid is a natural linebacker, not a product of a stacked team.

Nolan is definitely a stud. Really after Sulser, the next 3 are very close and I think all three will be studs. Turner, Askelson, and Graves, not very often there is this much talent in MT. All 4 kids are very special.

Back