• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Badlands Bowl selections

Richard Cranium

With the Super Bowl and the College recruiting season over I would like to look forward to the next football game played June 16th, the Badlands Bowl. Vim, Howard and who ever else has knowledge of potential players on both squads would be greatly appreciated. I've been to at least half the games and love the game, especially since Montana has dominated the series. I would also like some knowledge on the Montana vs. Wyoming All Star Basketball game.

A quick Google search indicates the roster has been announced in early March the past few years.

Richard Cranium said:
With the Super Bowl and the College recruiting season over I would like to look forward to the next football game played June 16th, the Badlands Bowl. Vim, Howard and who ever else has knowledge of potential players on both squads would be greatly appreciated. I've been to at least half the games and love the game, especially since Montana has dominated the series. I would also like some knowledge on the Montana vs. Wyoming All Star Basketball game.

They usually announce that team in March. I have a pretty good idea who's going to be on it in certain positions but the roster is built by the selected coach of the Montana squad (who is Tony Arntson of Helena High this year) so it varies year to year.

Here is the full coaching staff:

Head Coach - Tony Arntson (Helena High)
Assistants - Scott Evans (Helena High); Ryan Buckley (Glendive); Bryce Carver (Hamilton); Mike White (Shelby); Mike Cutler (Drummond/Philipsburg)

If I had to build the team 2018 Badlands Bowl roster, here is who I would pick (I think they only allow 34 players per roster):

QB

Kaleb Winterburn (Helena High) - 6'1", 195 lbs.
Levi Janacaro (Missoula Big Sky) - 6'1", 220 lbs. (Run the rock! Winterburn can be the throwing QB)

RB

Drew Turner (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'0", 210 lbs.
Lane Sumner (Huntley Project) - 5'8", 186 lbs. (Sumner can play in the slot if need be)
Ben Voss (Billings Central) - 5'10", 175 lbs.

WR

Gabe Sulser (Billings Senior) - 5'9", 165 lbs.
Logan Kleinhans (Bozeman) - 6'2", 195 lbs.
Nick Germer (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'2", 175 lbs.
Mark Estes (Kalispell Glacier) - 5'10", 180 lbs.

TE

Max Morris (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'4", 245 lbs.

Center

Conor Quick (Helena Capital) - 6'2", 265 lbs.
Zach Fussell (Hamilton) - 6'3", 265 lbs.

Guard

Carson Shuman (Helena Capital) - 6'3", 250 lbs.
Trey Copeland (Huntley Project) - 6'2", 270 lbs.
Dawson Hoerauf (Whitehall) - 6'2", 265 lbs.

Tackle

Joe McElroy (Missoula Loyola) - 6'5", 250 lbs.
Trevor Welnel (Helena Capital) - 6'3", 250 lbs.

Defensive Line (Tackle and/or End)

Karson Wheat (Deer Lodge) - 6'2", 275 lbs.
Caeden Suero (Helena High) - 6'0", 235 lbs.
Brandon Aimsback (Browning) - 6'4", 260 lbs. (could also go play offensive tackle)
Justin Jenks (Helena Capital) - 6'2", 230 lbs.
Logan Kolodejchuk (Columbia Falls) - 6'2", 238 lbs.
Tanner Harrell (Shepherd) - 6'1", 240 lbs. (could also go play guard)
Jory Choate (Bozeman) - 6'1", 200 lbs. (can also play linebacker)

Linebackers

Nolan Askelson (Billings Senior) - 6'2", 210 lbs.
Blake Allred (Billings Senior) - 6'0", 200 lbs.
Seth Schneider (Helena Capital) - 5'10", 215 lbs.
Brandon Morley (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'0", 195 lbs.

Cornerbacks

Ben LaBeau (Billings Senior) - 6'1", 170 lbs.
Ty Chouinard (Hamilton) - 5'11", 165 lbs.
Brock Peterson (Livingston) - 5'10", 180 lbs.

Safety

Garrett Graves (Eureka) - 6'3", 190 lbs. (can roll down to OLB)
David Koppang (Missoula Loyola) - 6'0", 195 lbs.
Jackson Pepe (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'1", 200 lbs. (can also roll down to OLB)

VimSince03 said:
Richard Cranium said:

They usually announce that team in March. I have a pretty good idea who's going to be on it in certain positions but the roster is built by the selected coach of the Montana squad (who is Tony Arntson of Helena High this year) so it varies year to year.

Here is the full coaching staff:

Head Coach - Tony Arntson (Helena High)
Assistants - Scott Evans (Helena High); Ryan Buckley (Glendive); Bryce Carver (Hamilton); Mike White (Shelby); Mike Cutler (Drummond/Philipsburg)

If I had to build the team 2018 Badlands Bowl roster, here is who I would pick (I think they only allow 34 players per roster):

QB

Kaleb Winterburn (Helena High) - 6'1", 195 lbs.
Levi Janacaro (Missoula Big Sky) - 6'1", 220 lbs. (Run the rock! Winterburn can be the throwing QB)

RB

Drew Turner (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'0", 210 lbs.
Lane Sumner (Huntley Project) - 5'8", 186 lbs. (Sumner can play in the slot if need be)
Ben Voss (Billings Central) - 5'10", 175 lbs.

WR

Gabe Sulser (Billings Senior) - 5'9", 165 lbs.
Logan Kleinhans (Bozeman) - 6'2", 195 lbs.
Nick Germer (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'2", 175 lbs.
Mark Estes (Kalispell Glacier) - 5'10", 180 lbs.

TE

Max Morris (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'4", 245 lbs.

Center

Conor Quick (Helena Capital) - 6'2", 265 lbs.
Zach Fussell (Hamilton) - 6'3", 265 lbs.

Guard

Carson Shuman (Helena Capital) - 6'3", 250 lbs.
Trey Copeland (Huntley Project) - 6'2", 270 lbs.
Dawson Hoerauf (Whitehall) - 6'2", 265 lbs.

Tackle

Joe McElroy (Missoula Loyola) - 6'5", 250 lbs.
Trevor Welnel (Helena Capital) - 6'3", 250 lbs.

Defensive Line (Tackle and/or End)

Karson Wheat (Deer Lodge) - 6'2", 275 lbs.
Caeden Suero (Helena High) - 6'0", 235 lbs.
Brandon Aimsback (Browning) - 6'4", 260 lbs. (could also go play offensive tackle)
Justin Jenks (Helena Capital) - 6'2", 230 lbs.
Logan Kolodejchuk (Columbia Falls) - 6'2", 238 lbs.
Tanner Harrell (Shepherd) - 6'1", 240 lbs. (could also go play guard)
Jory Choate (Bozeman) - 6'1", 200 lbs. (can also play linebacker)

Linebackers

Nolan Askelson (Billings Senior) - 6'2", 210 lbs.
Blake Allred (Billings Senior) - 6'0", 200 lbs.
Seth Schneider (Helena Capital) - 5'10", 215 lbs.
Brandon Morley (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'0", 195 lbs.

Cornerbacks

Ben LaBeau (Billings Senior) - 6'1", 170 lbs.
Ty Chouinard (Hamilton) - 5'11", 165 lbs.
Brock Peterson (Livingston) - 5'10", 180 lbs.

Safety

Garrett Graves (Eureka) - 6'3", 190 lbs. (can roll down to OLB)
David Koppang (Missoula Loyola) - 6'0", 195 lbs.
Jackson Pepe (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'1", 200 lbs. (can also roll down to OLB)

I think that’s spot on.
With Arntson being the head coach I’d expect to see Winterburn getting the majority of the snaps at QB. Also, I don’t know the rules or timeline for FBS but it will be interesting to see if Shuman can make it. I don’t know he will have to be in Pullman early or not but thats something to look for. Also, Graves is another kid who could get some snaps at QB.
And with Mike White being a coach, Aaron probably has a good chance making the team, well deserved I might add, he’s a top 5 QB in this class.

north dakota has never had more than 1-2 Division 1 players in this event, and even some of those have declined it. that stinks :(

Bisonation said:
north dakota has never had more than 1-2 Division 1 players in this event, and even some of those have declined it. that stinks :(

There has been at least a couple dozen Montana players that were D-1 players that have not played in the Badlands Bowl. Many of whom ended up having careers in the NFL. Ryan Leaf, Brady Leaf, Jason Goodman, Kroy Beirman, Casey Fitzsimons, Colt Anderson, Brady Gustofson, Marc Mariani, Dan Carpenter, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Tripp of those 9 played in the NFL. There are many more D-1 players but way to many to think of.

VimSince03 said:
Pickering is also on the team so he and Buckingham are two I didn't predict would be on the roster.

Is the roster online somewhere yet? I am only finding the '17 roster.

obiwan said:
VimSince03 said:
Pickering is also on the team so he and Buckingham are two I didn't predict would be on the roster.

No but it was announced on signing day that Pickering was playing in three football All-Star games this summer (Class C, Badlands, Shrine).

VimSince03 said:
obiwan said:
VimSince03 said:

No but it was announced on signing day that Pickering was playing in three football All-Star games this summer (Class C, Badlands, Shrine).
I see. Thanks for paying attention for us all. Don't know how you keep track of it all but sure I'm not alone in saying we appreciate it.

grizband said:
A quick Google search indicates the roster has been announced in early March the past few years.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/scoreboard-knights-of-columbus-badlands-bowl-montana-roster/article_b73d58bd-ae8b-5184-8a6d-b95bbfc0eb9a.html

Boom

grizband said:

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/scoreboard-knights-of-columbus-badlands-bowl-montana-roster/article_b73d58bd-ae8b-5184-8a6d-b95bbfc0eb9a.html

Boom

Back