• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vandal Return Discussion

IdaGriz01

Haley posted a fairly long article at STATS.com about the return of the University of Idaho to the FCS level.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180215094528828207504

Some interesting quotes:
Haley said:
Vandals working toward return to FCS, Big Sky
… After 22 seasons on the FBS level, they are returning to the FCS and the Big Sky, where they played as a founding member from 1963-95 …

It's debated nationally whether others schools will make such a drop, but what the Vandals are more concerned with is restoring their program to a winning level. Most of the other sports at the Moscow, Idaho, school returned to the Big Sky in 2014.

[Paul] Petrino, the 50-year-old younger brother of Louisville coach Bobby Petrino, grew up in Montana and is well-versed in Big Sky history. …

The drop to the FCS meant Idaho had to reduce to the 63-scholarship limit, but it's been easier than some may think. The Vandals were never at the FBS limit of 85 scholarships, topping out at 80 last season.

The Vandals have two FBS opponents on their schedule each of the next five seasons - all on the road. The 2018 regular season is bookended by games against Fresno State (Sept. 1) and Florida (Nov. 17), and their return to Big Sky competition is Sept. 22 at UC Davis.
I knew about the other Vandal sports returning to the Big Sky a few years back … just wonder which have not yet done so, and if they will eventually.

Had not realized that UI never got up to the FBS limit on schollies. That probably explains, in part, why they were never really competitive on a regular basis. And I assume it was a financial decision … the program could not afford that many full rides.

Ouch! on their 2018 schedule. If they do happen to be “in the hunt” by November, going off to Florida for a money game (where they will surely get pounded) will not be helpful.

I think Idaho’s problem next year is finding a QB. If it’s the Petrino kid I think they are likely a average to below average FCS team. Might be anyways but that will ensure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyomingGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
It's good to play our real rival again.

All teams in the Big Sky Conference are rivals. Rivals for the Championship, at the very least.

No. Not even close. Idaho, Boise and sometimes Nevada were real rivals. More so than the Cats for a lot of years. Sac State? NAU? Weber? Not even close.

EWU is the closest we have had to a rival for quite a few years.

FTV.

Looking forward to having them back. Grew up in the 80's and 90's and at that point Idaho and Boise were bigger rivals than the kitties. Should be fun and I'll bet they're competitive right away.

BWahlberg said:
FTV.

Looking forward to having them back. Grew up in the 80's and 90's and at that point Idaho and Boise were bigger rivals than the kitties. Should be fun and I'll bet they're competitive right away.

I agree that they will likely come in and seriously compete right away. Glad they are back and look forward to shit stomping them on a regular basis!! :lol:

FTV!!

I didn't believe Petrino would stay with Idaho after having to drop to FCS. Too much ego. Thought bid brother would create a job for him. Of course, his salary wasn't cut, so he makes about twice that of any other BSC head coach. Money talks.

grizpack said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

All teams in the Big Sky Conference are rivals. Rivals for the Championship, at the very least.

No. Not even close. Idaho, Boise and sometimes Nevada were real rivals. More so than the Cats for a lot of years. Sac State? NAU? Weber? Not even close.

Eastern is definitely a legit rival now. Half the team will tell you that is a bigger game than Cat Griz to them.

grizpack said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Since 2010, the Griz are 3-4 against the Cats, 4-4 if you count the vacated win. The Griz are 2-7 against the EWU in the same time span, including playoffs.

But yea, they're the only ones to be a real rival lately...

Catsrgrood said:
grizpack said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Since 2010, the Griz are 3-4 against the Cats, 4-4 if you count the vacated win. The Griz are 2-7 against the EWU in the same time span, including playoffs.

Poor bobcats.

Catsrgrood said:
grizpack said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

I know you try to pretend 2011 didn't happen.....but it did. Nothing you or anyone can say will erase that hellacious beat down of a bunch of overrated softies

WaGriz4life said:
Catsrgrood said:
grizpack said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

I know you try to pretend 2011 didn't happen.....but it did. Nothing you or anyone can say will erase that hellacious beat down of a bunch of overrated softies

Thanks for the input, I clearly accounted for that in my post. And I know as much as you like to pretend the Griz program didn’t follow the rules and got in trouble, having to vacate those wins....they did. And nothing you or anyone else can say can erase that. In all honesty, I agree that team was overrated. They were good, but I remember thinking at the time there is no way that team was #1 in the country. That loss sucked, nonetheless.
My point is the poster talking about EWU being the only rival lately. I’d say, if anything, from EWU’s point of view the Griz haven’t been much of a rival as of late.

And as always, thanks Payton for the input as well. Always riveting.

kemajic said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Then don't lose to non-rivals, then Mister Shylock. You don't ever want to lose to your rivals, do you?

Like in don't lose to Weber State and MSU in 2017.

Like in don't lose to Cal Poly, NAU, EWU, Northern Colorado and MSU in 2016.

Like in don't lose to Weber State, Portland State and Cal Poly in 2015.

All teams in the BSC are Rivals!!!

Otherwise, you're just a bunch of passed out in front of your boop tubes zuds swillers. You play every game to win, not to just rub shoulders with a 'this' or a 'that' and brag about how great you are by just doing so. You smirk and sneer at everyone you 'don't' call a rival; BFD So you're a Griz fan. Whoopee!!!

No wonder the FBS fans smirk and sneer at you. I wonder who is the most deserving.

I was at a sports bar not but a couple years ago. It had one game between the Texas Longhorns against Oklahoma on one screen. On the other was a Griz game. The Texas-Oklahoma fans were wondering who that was. Oh, just some second division game.

You get the respect you earn, Griz FAN. And that's speaking from experience. You ought to try it sometime.

Back