• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vika to Fullback

GRIZFAN20

I am surprised to not see this posted yet (if it has, I apologize for the double post).

Great article from Amie posted last night of Vika moving to FB. Quite surprised to see this move as Vika was expected to step up at starting MLB this year. Must be a good sign about the current LB depth, as well as the desperate need at FB despite a couple players already listed there.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-football-s-vika-fa-atuiese-switches-positions-from-linebacker/article_23615768-b925-5c41-9ed5-8eddc5aed0bc.html

GRIZFAN20 said:
I am surprised to not see this posted yet (if it has, I apologize for the double post).

Great article from Amie posted last night of Vika moving to FB. Quite surprised to see this move as Vika was expected to step up at starting MLB this year. Must be a good sign about the current LB depth, as well as the desperate need at FB despite a couple players already listed there.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-football-s-vika-fa-atuiese-switches-positions-from-linebacker/article_23615768-b925-5c41-9ed5-8eddc5aed0bc.html

thanks grizfan for posting, i had not seen it......question ? ,,,is there a current depth chart somewhere ????

I love his team first attitude and willingness to do whatever helps the team win. This will take him far on the football field and in life.

HookedonGriz said:
I love his team first attitude and willingness to do whatever helps the team win. This will take him far on the football field and in life.

+1 :clap:

Like most, I had Vika penciled in at Mike linebacker but am very happy to see he has moved to FB for the best interests of the team.. Some times one man may be the best player at more than one position as is the case here. For Vika to put the team first is a tribute to his character! I believe he will be a hell of a FB Nothing says it's cast in stone he may even get switched back but I DO KNOW he will give 100% no matter where he plays!! The man is a winner!!!
Go Griz!

i_the_sky said:
Like most, I had Vika penciled in at Mike linebacker but am very happy to see he has moved to FB for the best interests of the team.. Some times one man may be the best player at more than one position as is the case here. For Vika to put the team first is a tribute to his character! I believe he will be a hell of a FB Nothing says it's cast in stone he may even get switched back? I DO KNOW he will give 100% no matter where he plays!! The man is a winner!!!
Go Griz!
[/
quote]

GRIZFAN20 said:

Wow - it's a bit surprising but then again, if we're good at LB and need FB who is fast and likes to hit, let him hit someone on opposing defenses to open holes for running backs and block on blitzes. BH says he wants the best 11 on the field and looks like he's moving players around to accomplish just that. Whatever it takes - just win baby!

GO GRIZ!

Here’s a stab in the dark at who may be in these positions. Total guess, not a depth chart. I must be missing something or someone as this doesn’t make sense to me.

MLB
Lewis (probably OLB)
Olson (same)
Mathews
Key
Smith
Welnel
Harris
Cochran

FB
Eastwood
La Texier
Vika
Turner

After looking at the roster, this is a head scratcher for me. Obviously, none of those LBs have Vika’s experience, except maybe Cochran. So who’s it gonna be?!? I’m hard-pressed to find one in that list better than Vika at mlb unless a scheme change explains the transition

grizeyes said:
... Wow - it's a bit surprising but then again, if we're good at LB and need FB who is fast and likes to hit, let him hit someone on opposing defenses to open holes for running backs and block on blitzes. BH says he wants the best 11 on the field and looks like he's moving players around to accomplish just that. Whatever it takes - just win baby!

GO GRIZ!
Bingo! :thumb:

(1) If the OLine makes an interior hole, even a sliver, it's the blocking FB who can turn it into a big play by blowing up the first LB trying to close.
(2) Even a mobile passer needs one guy who can reliably pick up the blitz -- and almost everybody loves to blitz these days.

Add in the ability to pound the rock on short yardage -- yet to be proven for Vika -- and you've got damn near the perfect FB. If he can catch a pass now and then -- Rocky Long loved to have this -- then you've got gravy on your steak and potatoes.

garizzalies said:
Here’s a stab in the dark at who may be in these positions. Total guess, not a depth chart. I must be missing something or someone as this doesn’t make sense to me.

MLB
Lewis (probably OLB)
Olson (same)
Mathews
Key
Smith
Welnel
Harris
Cochran

FB
Eastwood
La Texier
Vika
Turner

After looking at the roster, this is a head scratcher for me. Obviously, none of those LBs have Vika’s experience, except maybe Cochran. So who’s it gonna be?!? I’m hard-pressed to find one in that list better than Vika at mlb unless a scheme change explains the transition

Eastwood is a running back. Drew Turner will also a running back. I haven't noticed Olson but believe he is a DE. Janacaro will play fullback. Vika is not as fast as other backers and is a liability in pass coverage. Our current coaches seem much better at recognizing these things and moving guys to more suitable spots, imo. Lewis will likely start at outside lb.

garizzalies said:

MLB
Lewis (probably OLB)
Olson (same)
Mathews
Key
Smith
Welnel
Harris
Cochran

FB
Eastwood
La Texier
Vika
Turner

Nagel LB...?

I thought Cochran looked good last year.
Limited amount of data but maybe he is doing well and impressing the new coaching staff. That being said I have no clue or info who will take the spot

I like it. He's athletic and has good hands.

I thought Vika could have started over Strahm last year -- doh.

griz5700 said:
I like it. He's athletic and has good hands.

I thought Vika could have started over Strahm last year -- doh.

This, and, I thought Vika looked faster than Strahm. Shows what I know!

garizzalies said:

MLB
Lewis (probably OLB)
Olson (same)
Mathews
Key
Smith
Welnel
Harris
Cochran

FB
Eastwood
La Texier
Vika
Turner

If the guy (Vika) was viewed as being slow on his reads and a liability in pass coverage, there must be several on that list better than him.

AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

MLB
Lewis (probably OLB)
Olson (same)
Mathews
Key
Smith
Welnel
Harris
Cochran

FB
Eastwood
La Texier
Vika
Turner

If the guy (Vika) was viewed as being slow on his reads and a liability in pass coverage, there must be several on that list better than him.
Lewis, Cochran, Key is my uneducated guess

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

MLB
Lewis (probably OLB)
Olson (same)
Mathews
Key
Smith
Welnel
Harris
Cochran

FB
Eastwood
La Texier
Vika
Turner

Lewis, Cochran, Key is my uneducated guess

I’m gonna bet Key.

Back