• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Quarterback Situation

IdaGriz01

All right, that other fellow has decided to leave ... so be it (best wishes to him, but he has his own thread for those who want to continue to piss and moan about it).

We need to move on and talk about the Griz quarterback situation. We have the apparent (almost certain?) starter, Dalton Sneed, who has some college-level experience and looked pretty good in spring ball.

Senior Caleb Hill is still listed as a QB on the UM roster (GoGriz.com), even though he's been in as a tight end. He did well as a JUCO QB and has sometimes looked good in practice. But he has no game experience, and did not start when (that other fellow) went down with his concussion. So does he get another look at QB? As I recall, the staff has also found some other possibilities to go in at TE.

Tanner Wilson is a freshman, so we know about that. Still, he proved himself as an all-around athlete and looks like he should fit Hauck’s style pretty well. Does he get more reps as a backup?

The new guy coming in the fall, Garrett Graves ... where does he fit in? Red shirt to start with?

How about rumored drop downs? Anybody have anything other than "hopes"?

If (When) Bobby finds a transfer/dropdown, what happens to Sneed? I mean what kind of message are delivering to Sneed if you bring in a dropdown?

I say at the beginning of fall camp that Garrett Graves should be named the starting quarterback and be given the lion's share of the snaps with the first team offense. This should motivate Sneed to be successful!

Bobby’s going to have to get someone in here, I’d say that was as obvious as the nose on your face.

Bobby likes to have 1 QB in each class... right now has a Junior, RS Frosh, Frosh. I'd assume he'll look to get a transfer/JuCo kid to fill the gap, maybe a Junior or Sophomore so they can hopefully RS Graves which I know they're really high on.

reinell30 said:
If (When) Bobby finds a transfer/dropdown, what happens to Sneed? I mean what kind of message are delivering to Sneed if you bring in a dropdown?

That you have to have more than 2 qb’s on the roster

Ursa Major said:
I say at the beginning of fall camp that Garrett Graves should be named the starting quarterback and be given the lion's share of the snaps with the first team offense. This should motivate Sneed to be successful!

:lol:
Sounds familiar. You got that from Ron Ash. Playing .500 Ball, page 73? Yeah, I read that, too.

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:

:lol:
Sounds familiar. You got that from Ron Ash. Playing .500 Ball, page 73. Yeah, I read that, too.

caught me! :lol: :lol: :clap:

AZGrizFan said:
Hill isn't a QB. Graves may TRY and RS, but I doubt that's gonna work for a full season.
Yeah, I get that about Hill ... even if they haven't update the roster on the web page.

The way things have gone, I can't disagree on Graves and a red-shirt. Not many teams get through a season any more without losing their starting QB for awhile. Is Tanner Wilson out of the picture? I thought someone said he had some decent reps. Anyway, that proposed new rule could be good for the Griz, if they do allow a red-shirt to play one or two games without losing a full year of eligibility.

reinell30 said:

I'm pretty sure we just learned BH doesn't care what kind of message that could send.

Tanner did look good in practice. Maybe he will get some reps in fall with the 1st string O-line.

CDAGRIZ said:
reinell30 said:

I'm pretty sure we just learned BH doesn't care what kind of message that could send.

Agreed!

reinell30 said:

I see what you did there...

Ursa Major said:

I also see what you did there...

back to back solid pokes

statler & waldorf said:
I saw Hill play two series, don't remember which game, both three and out. He got decent yardage, all negative.
Now that's some funny s**t! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe that was the Weber game, after (that other guy) went down with a concussion. Actually, according to the box score, Hill gained 5 yards on 4 official carries ... so he at least "overcame" the big sacks he gave up. But that was why Makena Simms ("re-converted" wide receiver) was the QB in the NAU game.

From what I saw at the final scrimmage, if Sneed goes down we are done for. Wilson just doesn’t appear to be a viable option and I can’t see a true Frosh showing up in the fall and being ready to compete at this level. Maybe Bobby will put in a call to Jalen Hurst who is rumored to be leaving Alabama[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back