• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

To compete or not to compete.

Will we compete this year?

• Yes.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • No.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Depends....

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Is this a serious question?

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Bobcats suck.

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Bobcats really suck.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Who the f**k are the bobcats?

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alabamagrizzly

So I know it’s been mentioned in other threads but I thought I’d give the topic it’s own thread, giving the news today and since it’s still spring and there’s nothing but conjecture to base debates off of.

Will we compete this year or is it a wash and we’re just playing to build for the future?

Future is now. I expect a bsc championship and think they are few pieces away from making a playoff run (this year).

Will we compete in the literal sense? Absolutely. I have 100% confidence that the young men and coaches on this team will be ready as best they can each and every game day. I believe practice will be more competitive, and I believe that will translate to the field on game day.

Will we "compete" for a BSC championship/playoffs? Less confident this year. I'm torn by this development today. I felt Jensen had the chance to be an all-time Griz great; and I felt that was going to bring the best out of this team. With Jensen I felt we were 2-3 years away from being really, really stinking good. With Sneed, I am not sure only because I have not seen him play for the Griz yet (spring scrimmage does not count for me).

Best case scenario; we have a new kid that can move the ball well with a new offensive line; even if he doesn't throw a great deep ball. His fiery attitude and competitiveness brings out the best in his teammates and we make the playoffs.

Worst case....he is injured early and we regress to early 1980s style offense and struggle to win 4 games.
But the guys will compete, of that, I have no doubt.

I always felt (with Gresch or Dalton) that this year was "a wash" anyways. Hell, maybe even next year too. Takes time to change the things coaches want to change in this circumstance.

Go Griz!

griz5700 said:
Future is now. I expect a bsc championship and think they are few pieces away from making a playoff run (this year).

Hawkeyehunter thinks there’s no talent on the team and we’ll struggle to win 3 games. :lol:

As for me, I don’t know about a BSC championship (lots of unanswered questions) but I expect them to compete and get into the playoffs assuming:

A) sneed stays healthy
B) O-Line plays up to their as yet unrealized potential
C) We magically find a shutdown drop down corner this summer

Knowing Sneed doesn't throw a good deep ball others will play man coverage and good luck running the ball.

Yes I do think we make the playoffs. That’s literally all I ask for next year and it’s doable. Sneed proved he’s good in the spring game, I think the oline will be a pleasant surprise and the Defense will be good enough. I don’t care about a big sky championship next year, just the playoffs, even if we lose in the first round.

Serious question to counter the non-serious question I asked to start this thread. Sneed excelled in the spring game against our extremely young and somewhat soft DB’s. How will he fair against a team with solid corner play and an exceptional mlb who can spy on him? This really is a serious question.

Stupid question! Hell yes we will compete! We'll win the BSC and get a couple home playoff games!!!
RRTD baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Griz!

alabamagrizzly said:
Serious question to counter the non-serious question I asked to start this thread. Sneed excelled in the spring game against our extremely young and somewhat soft DB’s. How will he fair against a team with solid corner play and an exceptional mlb who can spy on him? This really is a serious question.

How'd Reece Phillips play in Butte last spring?

griz5700 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Dude just answer the question. Are we going to compete? What’s our record next year?

griz5700 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

The team looks 100 times better than they did in Butte a year ago.

griz5700 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Well since you went there....how’d Caleb Hill perform? How’d he perform once real game time came? Wasn’t he a highly touted JC transfer? Mmm, who else we got that was a JC transfer that “performed well” in this years spring game? Hope his real game experience is better then Hill’s. It better be if we stand a chance of winning a BSC championship. Shoot, he’s gotta be twice as good or more if we even hope to get to the playoffs.

For the record though, these kids will compete their ass’s off.

grizaremoregooder said:
griz5700 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Would you say they’re more gooder?

alabamagrizzly said:
grizaremoregooder said:
griz5700 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Would you say they’re more gooder?

Most goodest I believe is the term you're looking for.

Griz til I die said:
Yes I do think we make the playoffs. That’s literally all I ask for next year and it’s doable. Sneed proved he’s good in the spring game, I think the oline will be a pleasant surprise and the Defense will be good enough. I don’t care about a big sky championship next year, just the playoffs, even if we lose in the first round.

Hill played well in last year’s scrimmages too...just sayin

Nope. Lack of depth will be the undoing. When the grizz were good (long ago), depth was the keystone. As much as it pained me at the time, the whole "next an up" mantra from you dicks was actually accurate and reliable. It's the real reason you played your best ball in November. Other teams without depth started to play at a lower level and lose games later in the season. I hated it and so did the rest of the BSC and IAA.

Now fast forward to 2018. Here's my intellectually honest opinion...

I would say 0-2 with the MVFC, but I thought you wouldn't beat NDSU with Stitt's first game either. I'll give you guys a split. UNI could go either way since they always shit the bed in Missoula, and you'll have the Cat game on tape for WIU. Let's go 1-1.

Drake is a win, but harder than you thought. The guys like Walhberg are trying to make the most of it at 2-1, but most folks are understanding that this could be a rough year (even Walhberg deep down).

Now here is where it gets interesting. Suck St is actually a quality playoff caliber football team and will show up to win. This will not be a great game for the grizz, although, you might actually win this one. That make 3-1, although I'm not sure that's a good thing. The fan base will start having visions of grandeur, but the reasonable folks will see what's coming. None the less, lets go with 3-1. Walhberg writes a really positive post and most on here are happy. A few curmudgeons but not many. If you lose, which could easily happen, 2-2 will start the unraveling. For argument's sake, let's go 3-1.

Next is Poly on the road. This is a tough place to play, and I expect a strong return for that program from last year. They had lots of drama with guys going to jail last year, but there's good coaching and a strong tradition. SLO a tough road trip any way you think about it, and I'm predicting a loss. If you lose to Suck St, then I'll predict a win. That's just the way these things go. After 5 games, the record will be 3-2. Not bad.

PSU will be a win to make it 4-2. The bipolar nature of this board will be in full effect. There will actually be threads on a deep playoff run. Poor bastards.

I truly believe you will lose at UND. 4-3. Lots of chatter over here and it get real interesting for us trolls. We really like Saturday evenings and Sundays like this. Thanks in advance.

UCD will be a strange and hard fought win. I say strange because what you knew about this team will get turned on its head. If your D was playing well, they will suck and give up 40+ points. If your O was playing well, they will suck. I think it will be the former. This game will have both teams in the 40+ and grizz will win ugly, probably on late heroics. That makes 5-3. Many on here will be doing the math for a playoff birth. Several others will see the writing on the wall.

For those tired of reading and/or don't want to hear what I have to say next, then just quit now. It gets ugly from here.

The lack of depth in the OL and QB will start to take it's toll. Just like with the Cats needed Prukop for effective O, the grizz will learn that a dinged up Sneed is a problem. There will also be depth issues in the secondary, and probably LB too. Teams will start to exploit weaknesses and start playing effective ball against the grizz. SUU will win pretty big and the team will be exposed. 5-4.

Idaho will come to play and win. This staff with all the drama will still come in and take advantage of the weaknesses and depth issues. The Stein will be lost. Sorry you had to hear it here first. 5-5.

Cat grizz will be a toss up. If you lose, and you might, it will be 5-6. Yikes. I believe the Cats have the depth necessary to compete in November in most areas, and we'll be no worse at QB. Of course I'm predicting a Cat win, but who knows. Either way it will be a tough and long off season for Hauck and the boys.

My money is on 5-6 with an ok chance at 6-5. If things start to unravel early, it could be a run of losses producing 2-4 wins. The absolute best outcome will be 7-4 and an outside shot at the playoffs. That would be a monumental success for Bobby in his first year.

Enjoy.

ABQ, that was a long, thought out post. Obviously trying to ruffle some feathers, which isn't hard to do, especially today of all days.
With that being said, I honestly can't say I think you're too far off. I'd be surprised to see a losing record, but I think you're right with the 6-5, 7-4 ball park. If everything goes the Griz way, I'd say the ceiling is 8-3. That, or anything more will truly be impressive.

Back